overall
Brewed by Spółdzielnia Pszczelarska Apis
Style: Mead
Lublin, Poland

RATINGS: 515   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.11   EST. CALORIES: 480   ABV: 16%
It has very rich specific fragrance due to the addition of raspberries and wild rose to nectar honey.

1 litre of Półtorak style mead contains 720 g of natural honey. By comparison, the Dwojniak style of mead contains 610g/L of honey; the Trojniak contains 420g/L and the Czworniak contains 320g/L.

Półtorak mead matures for several years to achieve full clarity. In time its rich aroma hides a high content of alcohol (16%) and acidity forming the finest liquor there is.

Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - MAY 20, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 9, 2003 Very nice dark amber color.No head but then maybe there not supposed to have a head.The aroma is fantastic,wine like in many respects,sweet as hell,almost a plum or possibly pruneish aroma,with a slight but very evident alcohol bite as well.Very heavy thick feel in the mouth,sweet as hell,big wine taste,the alcohol is some what hidden and what you do detect is gone shortly after you detect it.Damn i'm glad i bought this brew it.It's my first Mead but it was worth the $30/bottle and Muhahahaha to you poor souls who where unwilling to trade for such a good brew.My Grandmother used to say that age was nothing but for this Mead it is everything.It's 25 years old and doing quite well for it's age.I'm glad i have 3 more to save for later and for those of you who didn't or couldn't read in the forum,your loss.

cb (810) - Roeland Park, Kansas, USA - OCT 5, 2003
I really don't see how a mead could be better than this. But maybe I could be biased because I shelled out the bucks for it. But it was so worth it, I mean it. The aroma was evident from over 2 feet away, sticking your nose in the glass was almost too much for me to bear. Almost cloying mixture of rum, raisins, cream, potent dark honey, a touch of cinnamon and strawberry -- blended together with a whole ton of alcohol. Heavy, sticky,glass-coating rich clear garnet hue. Rich, aged fullness evident immediately after the first sip. Alcohol well-disguised by apple blossom sweetness, vanilla, almond, and a touch of citrus. Dizzying aroma definitely more bark than bite in terms of alcohol. Just a bit of warmth in the back of the throat. Noted just a bit of dryness. Perfect palate...all flavor notes evident and lingered without overpowering sweetness. You must, must try this mead!

Cletus (6354) - Connecticut, USA - NOV 3, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 11, 2009 Pours thick with no head and a nice orangey hue to it. Aromas of wildflowers, oranges, lemons, and moss dominate the sensory glands. As the mead touches the tongue, sugar, lemons, oranges, roses, tangerines, and many a tarte fruit immediately greets you. Mouthfeel is thick and oily and the finish is amazingly sweet. The alcohol is well masked on this one, but there. Definitely one of the finest meads I’ve ever tasted.

thorongil2 (1166) - , Ontario, CANADA - SEP 22, 2013
UPDATED: NOV 9, 2013 (bottle - cellared for 10 years ) clear orange amber colour; aroma of honey, alcohol; thick palate; rich flavour, surprisingly vigorous acidity balances the sweetness, long medium sweet finish; very nice

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Nuffield (3666) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - DEC 19, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 30, 2004 So sweet, thick, and all over my mouth from the moment it entered. Banana, vanilla, port...that’s just a start. So sweet it almost crystallizes in your mouth. A very fun drink and worth the money. (Sampled at Southern Ratebeer Gathering, Austin, TX, December 6, 2003). // I finished my bottle nearly a year after it was opened for the December 2003 Texas gathering--in October 2004--and it was good to the last sensuous drop. There was always satisfaction in the silky smooth palate, the burst of fruity that so tempers the note of honey found in more common meads, and the bouquet of an aroma. I will so miss it. Perhaps one day I’ll manage to have another bottle. In the meantime, I may have to buy a good bottle of port to recreate some of the experience. There was never a time I drank this over the past year that I did not fall in love with it all over again. Ranks among the very very best drinks I have ever had. Near perfect.

Fulkrum78 (175) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - SEP 22, 2005
I tried this on the advice of a freind of mine. To say I liked it is a vast understatement. Mouthfeel is thick and viscous. Lusicous taste of honey, hint of raspberry and rose. Amazing smell. When you swirl it in the glass, it has amazingly thick legs. I’ll be buying more of this for sure!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
badgerben (4387) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - MAY 26, 2008
OSLO and Guerde’s Memorial Weekend Tasting, 5/23/08. Huge thanks to Guerde. I never thought I’d get to try this mana from heaven. It pours like slightly thinned down honey, not water with honey in it. A single drop missed the glass and landed on my notepad where I was starting my notes for this beer. See? Divinely approved. Dark copper color. Smells of lightly toasted oak and a very dark honey. I’m not too good with my honey varietals yet, but I believe this would be a darker, more earthy kind of wildflower honey. Ridiculously thick body. Crushing wildflower honey taste. Some oak and super sweet. Bordering on a dessert wine. While I would probably not be able to have more than a snifter full (and that would take me about an hour or two to drink), this is created by saints.

islay (1078) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAY 29, 2008
Small sample at OSLO and Guerde’s tasting on Friday, 5-23-08. Thanks so much to Guerde for sharing this masterpiece. Pours copper with thick, impressive legs, Looks like an XO brandy. Honey-like, floral bouquet. Yeasty, wonderful, aroma. Very complex flavors of plum, orange, honey, and golden raisin. It’s reminiscent of a great dessert wine or liqueur. This is so good! Very thick, rich, and sticky with a good bite in the throat. I was informed that this mead would show me what constitutes a 5 for mead palate, and I was informed correctly. It’s just great across the board. This is better than any beer that I’ve ever had. Some beverages have the ability to be fundamentally better than others (as I know well as a whiskey fan; I’ve had at least 10 whiskeys better than any beer I’ve ever tasted). Perhaps mead has a higher upside than beer. That’s something I never thought I’d say before I tried Apis Póltorak Jadwiga. This came very close to getting my first 5. I am holding out some hope that I will be able to rate something even more highly, but I’m not holding my breath. This is a steal of a deal at just $30 a bottle. Buy it if you can find it!

tennisjoel (1161) - Rochester, Minnesota, USA - MAY 30, 2008
Sampled at OSLO’s and Guerde’s tasting. Special thanks to Guerde for breaking this out before I had to leave the party

I mentioned that Guerde had this in the fridge to milkmandan and that he was going to break this out, and he practically sprinted to the kitchen in anticipation. Absolutely divine aroma here. I could literally smell this beer and be 90% satisfied. Of course after going through that exercise, I needed to sip on it. It was absolutely phenominal! Honey, grape, dark fruits, and light raspberry flavors. I’m not too familiar with meads in general, but I really don’t see how anything could beat this. Breathtaking.

CheesedMan (555) - Saint Cloud, Florida, USA - AUG 22, 2009
Never rated this before, odd. Pours a rich, burnt orange, almost crystalline. Aroma is honey, wild flowers, loads of dark fruit, oak, a slight botrytis nose, roasted citrus. Ethereal. The flavor is intense and warming, honey and a touch of oak. The mouth feel is like sipping velvet, enveloping and seductive. Truly an amazing beverage.