overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3561   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dhickethier (1) - Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 20, 2004 does not count
At first there didn't appear to be an aroma, but it picked up as I took a few drinks and noticed a slightly spicey aroma. The rich redish color hinted of the full body taste to come. The flavor was strong with hops and caramel and maybe a hint of spice. The taste held well and since I like beer with a distinctive flavor that is not too bitter, I really enjoyed this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - JAN 20, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 31, 2004 Had this at a beer tasting. Stone doesn't sell in Illinois (arrogant bastards!) but someone brought a bottle. Not enough to make an in depth assessment but from the two ounces I had it was a treat. Ruby red with tan head. Scent of caramel and raisins and a rich, fruity flavor. Wish I had more to taste. March 31, 2004: Had this as part of an intense tasting with family. Tasted Stone Arrogant Bastard, Ruination IPA, Smoked Porter, Imperial Stout, and finished off with 3Floyds Dark Lord. Arrogant Bastard was an awesome start. All I said above holds and more so as I had ample amount to taste. This is excellent, from the bottle blurb through the pouring and the aroma and the flavor. Awesome.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Rastacouere (6122) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 18, 2004
Deep copper body with a thin light brown head, dark and taunting. Aroma contains a truckload of bold hops, one of those beers that smell thick, probably due to abundant crystal malt? Light citrus character and a suggestion at leather. Taste is very crystal malty with a weird hop profile leading to a untypical dry finish (chalky, dusty, ashes and slightly smokey). Very bitter aftertaste. Body is typical Stone, very full, thick, almost syrupy. Not my favorite Stone, but I gotta recognize the attitude.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
JackLanders (55) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - JAN 14, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 26, 2004 I liked a lot this beer the first few times I had it. Then I realized what it tastes like. Soy sauce. Drinking this beer is like drinking a bottle of soy sauce. Absolutely disgusting. Since that revelation I can't touch the stuff. Neither can anyone else who I have mentioned the word 'soy sauce' to while they were drinking it. I'm all in favor of big malt, big hops, etc. But I'll be getting that elsewhere now. If I ever buy another bottle of Arrogant Bastard it will go into a a stir fry.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
invalid (302) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JAN 12, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 13, 2004 Holy cow, kkm. Big malt and hop nose. Pours a deep red. This beer combines so many of my favorite qualities: big hops, sweet malt, and it's a big beer. I lowered my rating a bit because the after taste was overly bitter, almost astringant.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Probiere (992) - Iowa, USA - JAN 12, 2004
Pours a dark, dingy, rusty red with a tan head that fades to a small, dense scum of yummy foam that leaves meringue-like trailings on my lovely glass. Smells like mangoes (mangoes! YAY!) and maple syrup. Tastes a like a malt monster (toffee, plums, apples, SWEET SWEET MALT GOODNESS) properly restrained, but not conquered, by citric hops. A slighty orangey tang in the background. Clean, bitter finish. I AM WORTHY. Fun!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
tennmonkey (11) - USA - JAN 12, 2004
I just discovered this one a few months ago. And I like it. Bitter, but tangy....I'm not sure what they've done but I hope they keep it up.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DBeerboy (1) - Kirtland, Ohio, USA - JAN 10, 2004 does not count
I can't possibly get enough of this beer. I warn you though. Once you try it, it is VERY hard to drink ANYTHING ever again. The pour is a light "maple syrup" amber, with a gorgeous light taupey light tan head, that dwindles quickly. A complex slightly spicey and/or nutty taste, with a subtle toffee note. Not for the "fizzy yellow beer lover".

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
slaterock (11) - USA - JAN 9, 2004
after a hundred or so beers this is my favorite. I found one of these while visiting family in tennessee. Only beer the store sold. I had just got back from dining out and had 3 pints of sierra nevada and was welcomed with this beauty. Since then I have ordered 24 from california. Anyway, smells of malt, tastes smokey for a hoppy beer. Tons of flavor, read below.

OKBeer (1170) - Halifax, Nova Scotia, CANADA - JAN 7, 2004
Hazy dark amber colour with a moderate tan coloured frothy and rocky head that slowly diminishes. Pungent, slightly spicy and floral aroma with toffee notes. Deep floral and perfumed bitterness growing bigger and bigger and lingering on the finish. Medium to full body, but refreshing and quenching. Very good, definitely aggressive, but a bit on the straightforward side.