overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3564   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DBeerboy (1) - Kirtland, Ohio, USA - JAN 10, 2004 does not count
I can't possibly get enough of this beer. I warn you though. Once you try it, it is VERY hard to drink ANYTHING ever again. The pour is a light "maple syrup" amber, with a gorgeous light taupey light tan head, that dwindles quickly. A complex slightly spicey and/or nutty taste, with a subtle toffee note. Not for the "fizzy yellow beer lover".

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
slaterock (11) - USA - JAN 9, 2004
after a hundred or so beers this is my favorite. I found one of these while visiting family in tennessee. Only beer the store sold. I had just got back from dining out and had 3 pints of sierra nevada and was welcomed with this beauty. Since then I have ordered 24 from california. Anyway, smells of malt, tastes smokey for a hoppy beer. Tons of flavor, read below.

OKBeer (1170) - Halifax, Nova Scotia, CANADA - JAN 7, 2004
Hazy dark amber colour with a moderate tan coloured frothy and rocky head that slowly diminishes. Pungent, slightly spicy and floral aroma with toffee notes. Deep floral and perfumed bitterness growing bigger and bigger and lingering on the finish. Medium to full body, but refreshing and quenching. Very good, definitely aggressive, but a bit on the straightforward side.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Spiesy (2338) - Sydney, Greater London, AUSTRALIA - JAN 5, 2004
Draught at Sunset Bar and Grill, Boston, MA.</br> Amber with a fine lacy off-white head. Big fruity aroma, grapefruit. Big bitter start with plenty of flavour but not what I like.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
flemdawg (530) - Naples, Florida, USA - JAN 1, 2004
Hazy red color with an off white head. Very hoppy aroma. Big hop flavor and grapefruits as well. Wonderful beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
scoobyluv (504) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - DEC 31, 2003
opaque ruby color. thick head to begin with that leaves early on. pleasant florally smell of hops. i do love that smell. and yes, the hop aftertaste is kick ass

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Sassy (217) - Mullet Capital of the World, Georgia, USA - DEC 30, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 31, 2004 One of my favorites. So nicely hopped and malty, I enjoy drinking it when I need a good bolt of flavor, or when I've been crossed by an arrogant bastard.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
IDogg (72) - Houston, Texas, USA - DEC 30, 2003
Wow, this beer lives up to its name and prevents me from being a true professional beer drinker. I personally do not enjoy it but it does have a lot of quality and depth like they claim. I give it nice props for the appearance which is unique. I also prefer on tap over bottle, but you have to know a good bar to find it on tap. Bitter aftertaste could be toned down, i do not need my beer slapping me in my mouth after I drink it. Still a good heavy beer to check out

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dirtymike (2016) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - DEC 29, 2003
Deep amber in color with a small white head.Citrus,roasted malt and earthy aroma.Huge hop flavor to go along with bitterness and a decent malt backbone.Bitter,bitter,bitter,hops,hops,hops. I may not be worthy, but I'm going keep drinking anyway.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
pjk33 (389) - Sligo - Curllsville Heights, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 29, 2003
Good strong, hoppy ale with sort of an abrupt finish. Typical Stone brewing with the great hops and color (deep amber/almost copper color) with short head but good lacing. Grapefruit, maybe brown sugar hints. This is a good ale, but the finish is too short for a real hop head. Nice brew.