overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3576   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Probiere (992) - Iowa, USA - JAN 12, 2004
Pours a dark, dingy, rusty red with a tan head that fades to a small, dense scum of yummy foam that leaves meringue-like trailings on my lovely glass. Smells like mangoes (mangoes! YAY!) and maple syrup. Tastes a like a malt monster (toffee, plums, apples, SWEET SWEET MALT GOODNESS) properly restrained, but not conquered, by citric hops. A slighty orangey tang in the background. Clean, bitter finish. I AM WORTHY. Fun!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
tennmonkey (11) - USA - JAN 12, 2004
I just discovered this one a few months ago. And I like it. Bitter, but tangy....I'm not sure what they've done but I hope they keep it up.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DBeerboy (1) - Kirtland, Ohio, USA - JAN 10, 2004 does not count
I can't possibly get enough of this beer. I warn you though. Once you try it, it is VERY hard to drink ANYTHING ever again. The pour is a light "maple syrup" amber, with a gorgeous light taupey light tan head, that dwindles quickly. A complex slightly spicey and/or nutty taste, with a subtle toffee note. Not for the "fizzy yellow beer lover".

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
slaterock (11) - USA - JAN 9, 2004
after a hundred or so beers this is my favorite. I found one of these while visiting family in tennessee. Only beer the store sold. I had just got back from dining out and had 3 pints of sierra nevada and was welcomed with this beauty. Since then I have ordered 24 from california. Anyway, smells of malt, tastes smokey for a hoppy beer. Tons of flavor, read below.

OKBeer (1171) - Halifax, Nova Scotia, CANADA - JAN 7, 2004
Hazy dark amber colour with a moderate tan coloured frothy and rocky head that slowly diminishes. Pungent, slightly spicy and floral aroma with toffee notes. Deep floral and perfumed bitterness growing bigger and bigger and lingering on the finish. Medium to full body, but refreshing and quenching. Very good, definitely aggressive, but a bit on the straightforward side.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Spiesy (2338) - Sydney, Greater London, AUSTRALIA - JAN 5, 2004
Draught at Sunset Bar and Grill, Boston, MA.</br> Amber with a fine lacy off-white head. Big fruity aroma, grapefruit. Big bitter start with plenty of flavour but not what I like.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
flemdawg (531) - Naples, Florida, USA - JAN 1, 2004
Hazy red color with an off white head. Very hoppy aroma. Big hop flavor and grapefruits as well. Wonderful beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
scoobyluv (504) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - DEC 31, 2003
opaque ruby color. thick head to begin with that leaves early on. pleasant florally smell of hops. i do love that smell. and yes, the hop aftertaste is kick ass

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Sassy (217) - Mullet Capital of the World, Georgia, USA - DEC 30, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 31, 2004 One of my favorites. So nicely hopped and malty, I enjoy drinking it when I need a good bolt of flavor, or when I've been crossed by an arrogant bastard.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
IDogg (72) - Houston, Texas, USA - DEC 30, 2003
Wow, this beer lives up to its name and prevents me from being a true professional beer drinker. I personally do not enjoy it but it does have a lot of quality and depth like they claim. I give it nice props for the appearance which is unique. I also prefer on tap over bottle, but you have to know a good bar to find it on tap. Bitter aftertaste could be toned down, i do not need my beer slapping me in my mouth after I drink it. Still a good heavy beer to check out