overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3618   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
WABeerChick (25) - Seattle, Washington, USA - FEB 24, 2004
I dig this beer mostly for its color. The taste is really bold. I bought a 22 oz bottle and it took me awhile to drink it. As it warmed up towards the end of the bottle, the malts came though and I got this cool coffee-like subdued flavor. I've had this beer before and I'll certainly have it again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
btwhite7 (37) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - FEB 22, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 27, 2004 What a beautiful pour. Dark mahogany color, average tan head. Perfect aroma of hops and citrus, makes my mouth water. First impression of taste, Wow. Very aggressive. Certainly stronger than the aroma. Not for the faint. A true beer lover's beer. Which means 99.9% of the general beer drinking population could only handle 1-2 of these babies. Amazingly smooth aftertaste considering the aggressiveness. Very good beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
monterey (8) - Redmond, Washington, USA - FEB 21, 2004 does not count
Nice dark brown color, good head. Not bad, but way overrated. From the reviews I expected alot more. Too much malt for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
k2 (146) - USA - FEB 21, 2004
Pretty harsh finish. Could have benn smoother. It lives it bastard name. Good color and head but the high alcohol flavor ruins the finish.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
dannyboydwp (48) - San Antonio, Texas, USA - FEB 20, 2004
I'm not a fan of REALLY hoppy beers. And this definately qualifies! If you like hops, this is your beer! (Not mine!)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
jasonp (1555) - Leesburg, Virginia, USA - FEB 19, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 12, 2005 Worthy of its name. Dark amber/cherryish color this complex ale is full of hops with a citrusy, malty, caramel and pine-like taste. Some chocolate, earthiness and roastiness too. Extremely bitter and delicious! Mouthfeel is very full, round and creamy. Great lacing and head retention. Highly recommended.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
grant (842) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - FEB 16, 2004
Another one for the tried-a-lot-of-but-never-rated file. A warm burgundy/brown with lackadaisical pillowy head. Aroma of coarse hoppiness with strong citrus elements and robust pine with massive amounts of crystal malt. Flavor is chewy and smooth, with a voluptuous mouthfeel. I get lots of citrus again, but with more orange, and this blends seamlessly with the sweet maltiness to make a coherent, billet-like chunk of apricot-infused goodness. This would be damn near perfect with a little bit of aging to curb the somewhat excessive bitterness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - FEB 14, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 9, 2004 I had my first Arrogant Bastard at the San Diego Marriott Marina outdoor bar. Sure, it burns, but it’s a good burn. Can’t wait to try Double Bastard! Strong aroma of tea. I’m not worthy.

beerhugger (542) - Oshawa, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 14, 2004
Well at first I thought mmmmm, a nice sipping beer to last me while I do some work at the computer. Now I'm finding it difficult to put down. Great rich ruby brown colour with a big frothy off-white foam. Releases lots of hops but also some citrus and some malt and some bread and some meadow and some caramel and some raisin....ok I'll shut up now but you get the idea - complex! Turns out the flavour is a little less complex but still wonderful - grapefuit and chocolate seem to be present, although much more grapefruit. The bitterness lingers forever and when it finally disappears you have to grab your glass again for more. Solid.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
steview (1021) - San Francisco, California, USA - FEB 13, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 26, 2004 yow! dark, scottish like ale. burning hops and resin, surprisingly a coco flavored characteristic comes out. interesting, strong, yet not my brew. a good novelty, however. quite fun! UPDATE 9/26/04: you know, i cannot say that i have anything to change for my rating. it's just a good beer. and yes, it's actually a bit arrogant. there's a huge syrupy alcoholic burn within the -- quite long -- aftertaste. it's a bit of a tea, isn't it?