overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3798   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
iratherbe (255) - Marlton, New Jersey, USA - SEP 16, 2004
Hmm ... I’m a little stuck at how to describe this srtong ale. A very heavy dark thick body with the tones of the alcohol quite apparent, complex array of flavorings ranging from cramel, coffee to peat, starts with traces of malty sweetness and finishes big and bitter. Very interesting - definitely for slow sipping. Proceed with caution.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
rhapsouldize (174) - Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 14, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 24, 2004 22 oz. bottle. Ruby amber in color with a medium off-white nose. Really a beautiful color....you can barely see through it. Strong aroma of sweet malts, hops, and fruit...perhaps cranberries? Well-balanced between the malts and the hops. Definitely tastes spicy, sort of like a winter brew, with strong notes of coffee. Heavy mouthfeel. Very bitter, but a little sweet too. Definitely a very complex ale, and one I will try again. Stone never fails to impress me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
badgerben (4611) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - SEP 13, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 21, 2008 Original Rating, September 13, 2004: (Thank you SDbruboy for getting me the Cali brews!) Pours a dark amber or brown color with a medium head. Very hoppy and spicy aroma. The taste has a lot going on: malt, hops, fruit, alcohol, maybe a touch of leather. Weird. I need to snag myself another bottle of this. It was good, but I need another sample. 7/4/8/3/16 Re-rating, August 18, 2008: Deep , dark red color with a medium head. Extremely piney aroma. Strong pine bitterness in the taste. Caramel malts and a little roast. Alcohol is hidden. Still good, but definitely not as awe-inspiring as when I was first trying good beers.

Jine (900) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - SEP 19, 2004
On tap. Very powerful. The Arrogant Bastard is one tough mother to deal with, but is so worth it in the end. I can’t wait to take on its big brother, Double Bastard

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
TheDean (786) - MIlwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 13, 2004
Interesting tasting beer. Hoppy. Sour taste. Not as good as I hoped it would be. Bla, after a while, the aftertaste gets really bad and annoying! I can't even drink it all.

happy4hops (376) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - SEP 24, 2004
Bottled 5-7-04.Well here it is..Aroma,chocolate vibin’ centenialish hoppage,touch of the finest grain.Nice red amber color,nice off white head.The taste is very good if you love hops(and damn good beer) of the west coast variety(which I do).The palate could be a little bit more full,but the hops are resiny and lingering(I like that)tease of honey and tea in there.A very nice beer,just a tad overhyped,but I also agree with the current average.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MaximumBob1959 (6) - Milpitas, California, USA - SEP 17, 2004 does not count
This one gets up and grabs you right out of the bottle. A very strong ale the way I like them. First the malt grabs you, then the malt. A sweet taste with carmel tang and a hoppy finish. Enjoy!

Pailhead (5675) - Plymouth, Michigan, USA - SEP 23, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 2, 2006 Bottle: Aroma is very malty. Berries, chocolate, and caramel. Pours a mostly transparent but slightly hazy reddish-brown with a small off-white head. Not much lacing. Flavor is berries , caramel, and chocolate. Real bitter finish with coffee notes. Overly long bitter aftertaste is a bit much. This beer is good, but I had such high expectations that I am a little let down. <pP

Had this a second time and must say it is much better than the first time and I’m improving my original score of 3.4. Everything is pretty much the same except the hops aren’t over the top nor is the aftertaste.

Had this on tap and not all like my previous ratings, which leads me to wonder if I had any idea what I was talking about. Nice fruity sweetness up front with hints of peach and apricot. Light caramel as weel. Huge grapefruit hop finish. Seems to have a better balance on tap.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
redave (165) - squaw valley, California, USA - SEP 18, 2004
This is a BIG beer! It ain’t no slamin’ beer either. In a nice glass, out on the deck, with some time to enjoy it, it is GREAT!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
robertsreality (2460) - Minnesota, USA - SEP 14, 2004
Amber Coloring. No Head. Like the Ruination, Starts off Very Hopy on The Nose and Palate. Some Spice in This one As Well. More in The Glass Then I was Able to Pull Out. Would Be Worth Trying Again. But Very Good Overall!