overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3497   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably wonít like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
egajdzis (5194) - Spring Mount, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 18, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 23, 2005 Poured a reddish color with a large tan head that stayed around and left a nice lacing. Citrusy aroma. Bitter hops, cherries, roasty and grapefruit flavors on the way down.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
hotstuff (3921) - Indiana, USA - JUN 18, 2003
Yikes! Talk about hops! When this brew was poured into my glass, it poured with a large tan head that was fairly long lasting and there were fine-large bubbles. The body hue was dark brown and there was a little bit of carbonation observed. The first whiff of this brew reminded me of pineapples. From the first taste to the last taste of this brew it was constantly a strong bitter tasting brew that I did not enjoy very much. The taste of this brew stays around for a while.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
thedm (4887) - Fort Wayne, USA - JUN 18, 2003
This brew pours a large head of light brown fine to medium sized bubbles and a cloudy dark brown body. It has a pineapple like aroma. Wow what a plate! It really give you a wake up call on the first sip. Lot's of flavor, strong initial bite, very complex with notes of spice roasted malt, and of course lots of hops. It leaves a stong afterbite too where the alcohol content shows itself.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
duff (5484) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JUN 15, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 26, 2004 (Props to Linc for giving me the chance to try this)A hop bomb. No subtle use of hops to be found here. Very sharp hoppy aroma (grapefruit/pine), with some raisins. The flavour is pretty full on, hops everywhere, quite bitter and very sharp and a bit sickly, particularly as you work your way through it, the amount of hops throws the balance out a bit. Pretty much everything i was expecting, a massive hop bomb. Did i mention it was hoppy? RE-RATE: i like it a little better this time. Toasty raisiny caramelly malts happening, with a huge hit of piney, citric bitterness in the finish, very hoppy. A bit salty, with some boiled vegetables. Certainly is aggressive. (original rating 3.3)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MadMan (495) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - JUN 14, 2003
My first sampling. Everything I have read is true. Very complex, although dominated by bitter hops there is much more in this beer. I wasn't sure if I was ready for this one, now I think I'm ready for another one. This is one of those beers that I may sample again in year and see what happens. My tastes keep changing though....

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
eczematic (1306) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - JUN 14, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 1, 2004 ugly ugly ugly. but sort of enjoyably so. lets loose an evil stench of munich malt, fruit, spice, and decomposing socks. i was pretty afraid after smelling it, but the beer itself approaches what you might call balance in that the malt and hops are equally stupidly overpowering, so after a few sips it's not so scary.fat munich taste + ridiculous hop spiciness and a herbal aftertaste. this is just silly, but fun. rer8: maybe this is a beer that takes some getting used to. by the end of the glass i was swilling it like altbier. the taste itself is really balanced with the big nutty darklov crystal malt and enormous vegetal hops. the aftertaste is odd, as the bitterness eventually faded i could definitely taste the "celery salt" that omhper talks about. ok tastewise this is great, BUT the aroma oh my god that is the ugliest thing i have ever smelt. i guess i'll always be a "wussie" noble hop kind of guy, but that smell - pine needles and decomposing feet - ughhhh it was UGly.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
ekarmst (44) - Ames, Iowa, USA - JUN 14, 2003
I am not worthy! This beer was overrun with hop astringency. Reminded me of "Ass in the Tub" hot sauce the way my body reacted to it and I'm a hop head. This beer must be brewed with highly carbonate water. I didn't even finish one bottle. I am a loser.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
jstu9 (402) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 12, 2003
(bottle) Not sure where to rate this. This is one where it goes over the top... but I can't say that is bad. But I guess I take a few points off the palate, but give them back on the flavor. That pretty much sums it up.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 18/20
LordNeuf (136) - Acton, Massachusetts, USA - JUN 11, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 1, 2009 My first impression of this beer was Grapefruit. I had nothing but the taste of Grapefruit on my tongue. Which then was overpowered by the hoppy bitter finish. This is a very powerful beer, And yes, the bottle warned me. might not like it. And I didnít it wasnít my kind of beer, not to say it was a bad one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
gwfrankpsu (231) - McKinleyville, California, USA - JUN 9, 2003
Wonderful beer, hoppy fruity aroma, chewy malty (dark bread, carmel and slight coffee flavors). The finish is simply wonderful with a great hop slap in the face - I Love this beer! I'd like this with a steak. Wait, I did.