overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3763   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
briellis (2) - USA - JUN 18, 2004 does not count
Great mixture of malt and hops. Quite possibly the best American Strong Ale I’ve had. Really looking forward to experiencing more Stone products.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
ontario102 (794) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JUN 17, 2004
No doubt, this is a big beer. Do they use H3O in this, too. This is not a brew for the timid, but don’t be scared. How do they do it, balance such huge flavors? It’s the yin and the yang of beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
slimweebs (163) - Los Angeles, California, USA - JUN 17, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 16, 2010 This is one badass beer. The flavor explodes in your mouth. A very nice balance of sweet and bitter flavors. Starts off with a malty, slightly citrusy flavor, finished with a silghtly bitter hoppy aftertaste. They hide the alcohol content well! Excellent!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Dansting (222) - Overland Park, Kansas, USA - JUN 16, 2004
Someone got me an Arrogant Bastard Ale shirt, so I had to try the beer. I had it mailed to me in Kansas (shhh!), and had a six pack with my father-in-law. I was very pleasantly surprised with how flavorful this was. Very good!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
heemer77 (5158) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - JUN 13, 2004
Excellent brew on tap at the Ginger Man in Dallas. Poured a very dark orange and brown with a tan head. Has a subtle orange peel and bread aroma. The taste is strong orange peel hops with a nice malty balance. Sweet and bitter finish. Lots of lacing. My first beer from Stone and I am impressed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
hopdog (9588) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 13, 2004
On tap. Poured a dark brown color with an averaged size head. Smells of molasses, piney, and some citris. Sweet and bitter tasting (nicely balanced).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
blatantdream (78) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - JUN 10, 2004
Pretty nice hefty brew. Dark, strong appearance and flavor. Lasting malty flavor with equally lingering bitter hops taste to it. Overall well rounded beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
785pro (10) - California, USA - JUN 8, 2004
This is by far my favorite beer. Medium/Dark pour, slight head, very hoppy aroma. The after taste while stong is yet strangly pleasant. Seems to have a touch of citurs....I am worthy, mouth watering typing this. Started on Stoned IPA got hooked on the ole Bastard....

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ilovetrappist (23) - Round Rock, Texas, USA - JUN 8, 2004
Poured into a goblet; Dark amber color. Light brown head that quickly dissapates in the middle forming a halo. Large cells of lace that last. Fruity aroma with some hop character. Good taste. Tastes like grapefruit and charcoal. Coats the palate with a bitter and a bit sour aftertaste which I also like very much. This is a good beer. Reminds me of a lighter porter in some ways.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Grandpa (327) - Verona, New York, USA - JUN 8, 2004
A deep amber brew with a tight, long lasting head. It has a strong, robust flavor followed by a bitter hop taste. The bitterness had a tinch of sourness to it. The label tells me that I probably wont like it. I did like it, not much but a little. I had to clear my palate with some bland yellow beer.