overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3699   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
mkobes (2142) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - APR 18, 2004
Deep copper in color. Malty and hoppy. Well balanced beer. Rich beer. Smooth flavors. Great beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SpringsLicker (3192) - Tennessee, USA - APR 18, 2004
2002 I had this one from a cellar and found it to be a good cellaring beer. AB fresh has a somewhat coarse hoppiness that puts many people off. The hops in this one were subdued allowing the malty richness to come to the front. It still poured a deep clear chestnut brown with deep red highlights. Thick head that laced the glass with each sip. Rich complex aromas and a smooth, rich flavor that rememinded me of a better Barleywine. If you found this beer to be a little much, try putting one away to mellow for a year or so.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BennyTicklez (621) - USA - APR 17, 2004
WHOA! a little strong! I was surprised this beer only had 7.2% with the strong taste to it. This beer was a bit overdone, and with the name, it seems like that was their goal. It's a great beer to try and talk about, but not one to but on a regular basis.

DougShoemaker (3147) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - APR 17, 2004
Hoppy, caramel aroma, also treacle and spice(nutmeg?) Ruby, with a small toffee head. Fine hoppy bitter almond flavour, and a bold malty aftertaste. Full bodied, dry and bitter. A Wonderful Offering! Thanks Radek and a special Thank You to Carolyne (Radek's Sister-In-Law.)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Lumpy (1802) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - APR 16, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 25, 2005 OK, I am typing this as I try this beer, so here we go. Aroma is God F*****G awful. Smells like rotted fruit rinds and cheap perfume. I cannot stress this enough. First sip: Initial thought "So, this is what badly fermented orange juice tastes like." Second sip: Ok, a little more mellow. OK, burnt orange taste, VERY bitter acrid aftertaste. 3rd sip: Am I rating something that is an overall 4.03? Did the fine folks at SBC accidently bottle dishwater in the bottle? 4th sip: Ok, the aftertatse from the first 3 sips is killing me. I wonder how many people buy this shit more than once? 5th sip: No more. As I finished this beer, it got a little better, but was still not plesant. Everything about this beer is overproduced. It is too sweet, too hopy, too freakn’ fruity. This is officaly the most overrated beer on this website. Period. A valuable lesson can be learned from this beer: a cute name does not a good beer make. If Budweiser released this very same beer with a name like "Bud Strong Ale" then most people would rate it around a 0.8 and complain about it. But, a micro with a cute name=masterpiece. Once again,a cute name does not make for a good beer. 02/25/05 Re Rate-I am trying this beer once again because my beer palate has developed more. Just some quick notes: bitter, hoppy, very flavor full. Much better the second time around. I will be raising my 1.9 original rating.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Skip (206) - Indiana, USA - APR 15, 2004
You have to know beers to understand how over-the-top this one really is. Everything is overdone, but the result is, in my opinion, excellent. Rated as a straight brown ale, Arrogant Bastard would fail miserably in my rating database; on the other hand, because I love hops, love craft brewed beers, and love things that go a bit eccentric, I really enjoy this beastie. The above refers to the bottle. On tap, it is even better.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Imbockinsxtx (81) - Big Bend (Benavides, TX), Texas, USA - APR 14, 2004
Pours very Opaque with an interesting yellewish/whitish head. Aroma is Hoppish if nothing else. WOW! the mouthfeel is an outright sensory assualt on the taste buds, with an abundance of flavours with an Alcohol presence. The Glass laces well. The overall effect is that of a Cocktail then a Beer. Wow good to the last drop. Kudos to SBC. Thanks Buds.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
DocLock (8163) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 10, 2004
Stone is rapidly becoming my favorite brewer. Their irreverant sense of humor, gorgeous embossed bombers, and ass kicking beers add up to a marvelous brewing company. Pours with a great deep brown color, great head, and great lacing. Smells like heavy malt, caramel, cognac, toffee, and slight hops. Tastes extremely malty, with the aforementioned aromas as flavors. This beer is dense and slightly thick on the palate (which is good). Finishes smooth, malty, and hoppy, with a final burst of sweetish malt, slight hops, and fine cognac/scotch. As the label says, "You are not worthy". I liked this one so much that I just ordered a few T-shirts. Stone kicks ass!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
crzybob77 (530) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - APR 7, 2004
A rush of intense flavor. Definitly tasted the grapefruit hints in this. A very enjoyable beer that is certainly made for real beer drinkers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
maeib (8750) - Wootton, Northampton, Northamptonshire, ENGLAND - APR 7, 2004
On tap - David Copperfields NYC. Wow! My first experience of such hoppiness. Greg's comments are fascinating. I can't imagine many (normal)people getting on with this, but we lot are a bit different! Aggressive and arrogant are not the words. The aroma is so very very tart. I noted passion fruit and grapefruit. The colour is a dirty brown, but we shouldn't pay too much credence to that. This beer tastes at first like grapefruit in need of sugar (lots), but you soon start to enjoy the tartness of it. It is hard going as a first experience of this type of beer and I probably cannot do it justice with my English palate. Certainly a sipping type beer rather than guzzling; but a beer that when you finish it, it is with pleasure rather than pain - well worth drinking.