overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3585   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
guzzler67 (1495) - Hanover, Maryland, USA - SEP 7, 2003
Beautiful deep copper appearance with a medium sized head. Floral hop aroma. Full bodied taste that is well balanced; once you think the hops dominate, then the soothing malt backbone kicks in. Finish is similiar; somewhat sweet, lots of bitterness. Very enjoyable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ClarkVV (3892) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 3, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 21, 2007 Bottle. I am starting to suspect that Stone’s bottles do not travel well to the East coast all the time. This was my second disappointing experience with Stone. Pours a deep reddish mahogany, with some slight beige/white mildly creamy head. Again, no sediment whatsoever. Aroma is sharp and smells overly bitter and citrusy. Opens up with a muted malt taste. In the middle of the beer, all of a sudden there is a bitter twang of hops flavor. Earthy yet piney, like a musty pinecone lying in the dirt. The malt is most curious in that it is not terribly sweet, but more dry and salty. Texture is very similar to ruination ipa, velvety. Beer certainly dosent thin out and has a nice full body, but the flavors are strange to say the least. Slight astringency problems arise. Has a muted honey herb flavor as it finishes and there is still bittersweetness on the palette. I really wish I could try this on tap. I would imagine it to be much better. Definitely want to try again. Rerate. Bottle again. Opened up bitter, muddled and syrupy BUT as it warmed and breathed, I finally saw some goodness in this beer. Flavor of a double IPA comes out, moderate caramel malt, chewy, almost leafy-like texture, fuzzy, peppery. Big bitter flavor and too much acid on the finish, but the nice hop flavor is apparent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
PBOYNY (316) - Westchester, New York, USA - SEP 3, 2003
exellent brew with alot of malt and hops flavors. Not a standout,but very good, somewhat like dead guy ale, try one and enjoy!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
stubby (334) - Santee, California, USA - AUG 28, 2003
A fun beer. Very heavy body/aroma/alcohol. Overdone, quite frankly, but that's what they were going for. I love the marketing pitch. A large beer with thick malty flavors and almost overpowering hops. It's not my favorite but I'm glad it exists.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
fishonmyplane (424) - Newington, Connecticut, USA - AUG 27, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 3, 2003 Dark reddish-brown color. Medium foamy head. Strong aroma of hops and malts at the same time. The flavors are complex, but a bit hard to distinguish amidst all the hoppiness. Imagine a cross between a good porter or strong ale and a very strong IPA, that's what it reminds me of. There's a little malty sweetness, mostly caramel. The hop level is really a little ridiculous, but it's a very good beer... just not something I would get on a regular basis.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Sham (1845) - Seattle, Washington, USA - AUG 27, 2003
Pours a very dark red color with some brownish head. Very rich, complex aroma. Great flavor; roasted malt with some caramel. Very nice palate, with a great finsih and nice lace. Damn fine ale.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
ElGaucho (2201) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - AUG 26, 2003
Rich aroma, almost like a barleywine. Deep red in color with a small, tan head. Great lace. A bevy of flavor. An orgasm of the mouth! Some pine and molasses notes are evident. Roasted malt. A pleasure to drink. As the label says, I was not worthy the first time I drank this (frankly didn't like it). Now that my palate has grown up, there are few beers I would rather drink if given the choice.

Sickboy282 (1115) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 25, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 27, 2004 Arrogant Bastard is a fit name for this brew, and damn is it arrogant. Malty yet hoppy, wth caramel and nuts in the nose. This a brew that defines the stone brewing company as a leader in brewing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
OldGrowth (2651) - North Carolina, USA - AUG 22, 2003
Bottle: Good nose, nutty, carmel. Great clear reddish brown color. A quick bitter hop jab, followed by a big malt uppercut. Rich creamy coffee/molasses with a bitter linguring finish. I love this ale. Just the fact that it's called an ale, you know like " oh yeah heres our regular beer". Hops were more present when cold, but as it warmed up malts really took over. Much praise. Saved this one for 100.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
DEbeer (192) - West Virginia, USA - AUG 22, 2003
I was a little disappointed with the Bastard. I have been pysching myself up for this beer for a long time, but when I finally got it, I felt that the flavor could've been prominent against the hops. The best thing about this beer is its appearance; it looks fantastic! given the choice, I would just stick with Stone's IPA.