overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3564   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably wont like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - JUL 23, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 3, 2004 Re-Rate 10/6/2004 Clear burgundy/ruby color with a small but lasting tan head. Glass lacing is good. The aroma is quite malty, caramel, and lots of citrus hoppiness. The flavor is complementary to the aroma, sweet caramel and tons of hops. Medium-full body with a big malty finish, still lots of bitterness on the tongue though! While I still like this beer I am not quite as enamoured with it as I once was. Its actually somewhat simple and has a fairly astringent aftertaste. I am thinking that my bottle was not so fresh and this is the culprit.

7/23/2003 8/4/9/4/18 - 4.3 I have had this both on tap and out of the bottle. Both delivery methods were very similar (a good sign). Massive hops aroma, not flowery (no Cascades here). Nice head with good lacing. Tastes bitter but ha/s a very thick malty mouth-feel to balance out the bitterness. Quite simialr to its big brother Double Bastard just a wee bit toned down comparatively (to Double Bastard definitely not compared to other brews).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
andy609 (143) - Auburndale, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 22, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 30, 2005 I drank a whole bomber of this at a party once and remember it being very good. Perfectly balanced between its hop and malt componets. I intend to rerate when I get my hands on it again. Update: Pours a beautiful deep, dark amber with a decent head. Aroma is malty with a floral hop prescence as well. Chewy, high-quality and complex malts initially with a bitter hop finish. A beer that gets better as it warms.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
haddon90 (1439) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUL 22, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 23, 2003 Bought a bottle of this at a 7-11 in Alameda, CA. Very very strong taste! Deep brown color with a nice hoppy aroma. Somewhat bitter but overall it's pretty good. Bought this 22 oz. at a 7-11 in Alameda, CA on my way to a softball game. Go figure.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SDbruboy (1864) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 19, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 17, 2004 Okay, so I just need to start by saying that this is my 100th rating Im so excited, here comes the little crown by my user name and a whole new level of respect (I think!?!) Although I didnt specifically plan it this way until just about a week ago, the Arrogant Bastard gets to cross this esteemed threshold with me. And that seems fitting somehow. It was this aggressive muther of a beer that lured me back to the dark side 3 years ago and inspired me to recommit to drinking good quality brews rather than those mass produced light posers that Id settled with for a few years. So I do hold a fond spot in my heart for this liquid arrogance. Its also fitting that this is a beer from Stone, a San Diego brewery and if you notice, my user name is SD bru boy! Local boy, local brew. Okay, enough exposition, on to the rating. This ale pours thick and dark almost opaque, but caramel-red if you hold it up to a bright light. It gives rise to a massive light brown head, which takes its own good time to dissipate. The head also leaves beautiful lacing from the top to the bottom of the glass. The aroma, ahhhh heavenly (in my version of heaven anyway), rich roasted malts, spices, caramel, dried apricots, citrus, light roasted coffee and abundant floral hops (but not those pretty, dainty little flower kind of floral hops, these are the bold, assertive kind of flower, floral hops that reach out and smack you in the nose overly zealous, huge, flesh eating and redolent those kind of flower, floral hops). The flavor is big, really big and scary. Its the kind of flavor that the entirety of the Anheuser-Busch Corp. cringes and runs away from like a little schoolgirl confronted by a roaring, drooling, stalking tyrannosaur. Its a flavor that assails the tongue with muscular yet oddly graceful sweet roasted malts, ripe berries, subtle alcohol and fruitiness balanced by the most amazing blast of hops ever to lay waste to a patch of taste buds. The body is thick charging the border toward syrupy, but then pulling back at the last minute to deliver a supple, creamy dose of carbonation. It has a body to lust after (in mind, in heart and in palate). So now Ill say it again, ahhhh, ahhhh, ahhhh! An amazing brew and one to which I owe a debt of gratitude. Thank you Stone, thank you Arrogant Bastard, Im doing my best to prove myself worthy

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SoylentBlack (123) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - JUL 18, 2003
Damn this is good beer! Strong hops and no overpowering alcohol taste. Takes a few sips to "get acclimated".

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
LiebeBier (808) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - JUL 17, 2003
Draft at Mellow Mushroom in Charlottesville, VA. Red/auburn beer with small white head. Aroma is very hoppy and packed with citrus. I thought I was going to like this beer, and I loved it. Perfect balance of hops and full malt flavor make this beer drinkable and quite enjoyable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
mushi (18) - Corvallis, Oregon, USA - JUL 16, 2003
22 oz. Beer like this makes me thankful I live two blocks away from the store that sells it. This ale pours a deep brown with a red tint. Very carbonated (leaves a big head), but that helps the aroma I think. Floral aroma and hops, hops, hops. The bottle is easily the most original and entertaining I've ever seen on a beer, but fortunately it follows through. I like the bitterness and the hops.

wunderbier (1434) - Tampere, FINLAND - JUL 15, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 23, 2003 22 oz bottle served in tulip glass. Off-white head diminishes quickly. Red-brown color on the table; plum when held to a light. Strong grapefruit and resin presence in the aroma. Malt and yeast are in the back (molasses and dough?). Body seemed a bit watery and lacked carbonation. Bitterness throughout with a moderately acidic finish. Similar to Rogue's Brutal Bitter, but not quite as chewy IMHO. I would have given this one a much higher rating if the malt played a bigger role. Rerate: 12/23/03. Was there more malt in this sample or has my palate matured? I don't know, but either way I'm really enjoying this now. (Previous rating was a 3.2)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
snowdog (6) - USA - JUL 12, 2003 does not count
UPDATED: JUL 19, 2003 This beer is a powerful beer lover's delight. Hops a plenty, and major flavor. Still, it somewhat reminded me of a stout, with a hint of chocolate. I sincerely wish that Stone Brewing would start distributing more beers in the Austin, TX area, because if this is any indication of their line of brews, they really have a handle on what it takes to make a really excellent Ale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
biomechanic (55) - Washington, USA - JUL 9, 2003
Not bad. Is really hard to describe. It's been a long time since I had one of these. It smell kinda floral and has dark reddish color. Like thte label says 'aggresive'.