overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3915   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably wonít like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
GuilTTy (728) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - DEC 17, 2004
Had this beer on tap at a small place in northeastern Pennsylvania (donít remember the bar). Rich brass pour w/ reddish highlights supporting a solid dirty white head. Aroma of big hops with a touch of roasted malt and smoke. Fantastic full bodied hops everywhere but with a little less bitterness than, say, Victoryís Hop Devil or Hop Wallop. Nice balance of malts. This beer is more complex than amy of the other intensely hoppy beers Iíve tried. Unfortunately, itís not available near me - or I havenít found it yet - so Iíll have to remember the name of that place so I can get another few pints.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Sregnar35 (1030) - Rotterdam, New York, USA - DEC 15, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 28, 2005 I love hops and I love this beer. Awesome strong hair spray burn on your tongue that I love so much. Hops galore, and good alcohol content.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
albert007 (415) - Penobsquis, New Brunswick, CANADA - DEC 11, 2004
Prime golden dark color, the perfect tinge. Nice head, plenty of aroma. Hops & malt balanced very well, with fruity notes coming through traces of smokiness. Tasted a bit strange at first until my palate adjusted and i could hardly put the glass down ítil it was empty. Doesnt get much better than this. Too bad its so hard to get around here.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
wnhay (722) - Princeton, New Jersey, USA - DEC 7, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 15, 2005 Great beer. Stone Brewing has been wonderful so far. Bravo! Very bitter, but I liked that. Really quite good. It was very easy to drink and the aftertaste is very strong. The aroma is great. Nothing wrong with this. I would recommend not drinking this warm. It is not good warm in my opinion.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
fiulijn (18103) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - DEC 5, 2004
Dark copper color; creamy head. The aroma is malty, hoppy but not fruity as expected; some roasted malt. Full body, very good malt, nutty. Immediately the bitterness takes over, for a bold final (again, not particularly fruity nor aromatic).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
malika (36) - SWITZERLAND - DEC 5, 2004
Cloudy brown color. Strong aroma of hop, fragrant, and roasted malt. Really bitter taste, some caramel and some sweetness. The final is very bitter but not enough fragrant. Good, but I donít go crazy...

MayorQuimby (100) - Santa Barbara, California, USA - DEC 4, 2004
Bottle. Deep amber color, gorgeous tan head that clung strongly to my glass. Great aroma. Sweet and malty, hoppy, some smoky flavor too, fits together well. I canít taste the alcohol. Aftertaste keeps everything melded together very well, wonderfully smooth for a beer this strong. The Double Bastard is certainly superior, but Iíll gladly drink this any chance I get.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
giarcsr (104) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 3, 2004
Itís not even funny how many of these Iíve had. I decided not to rate this until I had another bottle of it. Anyways, this has a very nice aroma to it, and a great appearance and color. Has a nice appricot like flavor and a smooth aftertaste to it. For being 7.2% you donít taste the alcohol at all really. Just plain a great beer.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
ambroze (22) - Old Hickory, Tennessee, USA - NOV 30, 2004
For once I didnít have to change any of the rating drop down choices. I just left them all where they belong. All 1ía accross the board.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
meathookjones (245) - Sterling, Virginia, USA - NOV 28, 2004
Had this on tap at Dr. Dremoís. I will mainly just comment on the differences in experience from having this in the bottle. This one came a deep crimson red with a medium to small head that dissipates fairly quickly. Aroma of hops, mainly citrus and a nice malt sweetness to round it out, more so than I remember from the bottle. The taste seems much more smooth and less rough. The hops make them selves known but are not as sharp as the bottle. The malts blend well and made for an overall smoother taste. Full bodied and more drinkable on tap. Great all around beer and even got my girlfriend drinking it.