overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3585   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Beloved Beer (278) - California, USA - AUG 12, 2003
For all the hype I think it fell a little short. But is definently an awesome beer. Well rounded maltiness. Goes down smooth. Leaves your tongue and tummy wanting more.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SquirrelMaster (3) - USA - AUG 8, 2003 does not count
Addicted to this beer from the first trial.If you try it and truly like it, you're probably not a wuss. Takes no getting used to, a true and instant classic. Drove down to the brewery and bought a couple kegs, awesome time.

Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - AUG 7, 2003
#400. 22 oz bottle. Drank many times, never rated until now. Copper color, starts like a light barleywine, raisin, dark fruits, toffee, caramel. Immediately switches gears to let the hops take over at the finish. I love this beer. Draft version seems a little tamer but still damn good!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
pfhyde (56) - Davis, California, USA - AUG 4, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 9, 2010 This will be my third time updating this beer. I used to like it--was my standard preference--then I grew out of it--then, after Stone started oaking it, I came back; now I think the oaked AB is one of my all time favorites. Its complexity balances now, with the oaking, and it’s one of my most missed beers now that I’ve been overseas awhile.

dukefan (214) - Dallas, Texas, USA - AUG 4, 2003
My description - the very worst characteristics of an IPA and a Barleywine in one bottle. If you can wait, this beer gets very good after a year of aging. Despite the "worst" characteristics, a very fun flavorful beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
motelpogo (6579) - Plzen, CZECH REPUBLIC - AUG 2, 2003
a mess but a nice mess. not hard to pick out flavours - sultanas, aluminium roofing, chocolate, compost. obviously a ridiculous amount of hops going nowhere in particular and a good challenge for the senses

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
JonR888710 (999) - Cochabamba, BOLIVIA - JUL 30, 2003
Amber brown body with a beige, full head. No bubbling coming off the bottom of glass after about 30 seconds. Smell is of hops, but not overpoweringly so; really a subdued surprise here. Taste is a combination of both floral and fruity hops. Most pronounced are the apricot and pineapple flavors that are also found in the regular stone IPA. The major differences of this beer are a darker color and a bigger bitter, more varied taste. There are indeed “aggressive” hops added to the mix that give a really nice bite. The aftertaste is more bitter hops and fruity sweetness; both well disguise any alcohol that may have been lurking. So that’s the Arrogant Bastard, not as daunting as I had imagined it would be, though certainly a worthwhile beverage with a confounding compilation of hops.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
maltdog (617) - Colorado, USA - JUL 28, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 14, 2013 Rerate, 10 years later, on tap at brewery: This is NOT the beer I’ve been in lust with for a decade. Poured AT THE BREWERY in Escondido/San Diego. Dark "newcastle" color,nitro-whipped cream appearance and mouthfeel. Some cocoa and marshmallow/malty taste, tho’ far less caramel- and herbaL/hop-forward. Just barely "figgy" if I really pretend. Light, creamy mouthfeel identical to Guinness widget-can. Generally much, MUCH lighter-bodied and less intense aroma and flavor than previously versions. I had six previously-tasted beers AT THE BREWERY this time, and only two matched my expectations.***Original rating 2003:.Appears mahogany when poured, but held to the light is actually deep scarlet. Creamy beige head. Complex nose of sweetish toffee, dried apricots, currants, with an amazing hop element- herbal/piney/resiney/orangey. Flavors of sweet malt, burnt sugar, and those mysterious herbal hops. The subdued carbonation is perfect. Mouth-filling but with a clean, broad bitter finish. A huge, manly, in-your-face brew. I can imaging enjoying this with a cigar on a cold, blustery night.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
frylock (1135) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - JUL 27, 2003
Redish brown body, with a nice light brown head. Hoppy floral aroma. Big hop bit lots of bitterness, grapefruit, follows up with some malts.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
drinkbeer (281) - Redondo Beach, California, USA - JUL 25, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 2, 2003 OK, the first time I had this beer was a few months ago on a very hot and humid east coast day. I poured it in a pint glass and sipped on it while cleaning and getting ready to move out of my apartment. I remember thinking, "Wow! This is agressive!" It took me about an hour to finish the pint, and by the end my palate was destroyed. Well, I tried "the bastard" again yesterday and it was a milder, yet more complex experience, and totally enjoyable. The aroma jumps out at you as soon as the cap is popped. It smells like canned peaches and pine needles. Pours a beautiful dark, ruby red. Tastes like piney hops, bitterness surrounds the entire toungue. To quote a friend, "it's like a freakin' orchard." One more thing...whatever beer you drink right after you have an arrogant will taste like an arrogant. that taste is burned into your taste buds. Crazy stuff. Agressive. AMAZING.