overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3902   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably wonít like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

BrockLanders (780) - Panama City, Florida, USA - OCT 11, 2004
Draft, Falling Rock Tap House. Dark ruby coloured beer with a thin meniscal layer of tan bubbles over the surface. Lovely caramel, cookie dough, and vanilla malty flavor backs up an assertive grapefruit-citrus hop aroma. Flavour is fantastic, sweet toffee and caramel malts on the front fading to a strong alcoholic warming character before the citrusy and earthy herbal hops flavours make an appearance. These fade out leaving an awesome bitter kick in the teeth. As this beer warmed, you got even more citrus hop character and some spicy and fruity maltiness on the nose. Truly a first rate beer. My wife ordered it again, and again, and again.....

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jimmack (1223) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - OCT 10, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 13, 2006 Dark copper with a medium size off white head. Aroma of hops, citrus and malt. Very hoppy flavor with just enough malt sweetness to almost balance this beer out. Very enjoyable.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
gabbledbabble (60) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - OCT 10, 2004
Thanks for the putdowns on the bottle. I like the sarcasm and in-your-face "are you down with craft beer, or are you pussy?"--attitude. Take a sniff...Spruce resin, orange flowers, malty malt, WOW! This is like taking a hit from a 6 foot bong! Itís an aromatic orangatuan climbing up my nose, and playing my ole-factory like a jungle gym. The dryness outta shrink my head fast enough to make a headhunter cry with joy as he decorates his tent post with my shriveled, devil-puckered up mug. Astringent but not aseptic; this big beer has plenty of expression. In a Barry White voice this beer says to my taste buds, "Hello taste babies, Iím gonna make love to you." The taste babes are passing out all over my mouth. What a hit! Thereís a little smoky, and a lot of sweet malt. A citric rind-like burn on the top of my mouth. This brew is so warm, feels stronger then it says. Man itís taut in the mouth like a live wire with all those hops. Thereís enough malt to fill your mouth though. Donít be worried about being bored with this munster. The beautiful thick, velvety, steamed milk froth is clinging all over the glass like sex juices after intercourse. What happened in that mug? I suggest: Sip and chug your way through 2/3 of a bomber, then kick back and let it warm up. As it warms up you should find yourself contemplating all the naughty things you want to do to satisfy your lover. Sip the last third of this brew saying those things with your eyes. This is a McNasty beer that will have itís way with you, and you should share that feeling.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ricardowess (25) - Sedona, Arizona, USA - OCT 8, 2004
Smells like heavily roasted malts- with a long lasting coffee colored head. Burnt amber color throughout. The roasted flavors taste like an uppercut- and a good one at that. Lots of flavor and one to enjoy over and over.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
sixpackcharley (19) - barclay, Texas, USA - OCT 7, 2004
Very rich and distinct flavor. Beautiful in the glass with a nice, but not overbearing head. Difficult to compare with anything else, this brew stands on itsí own. I look forward to my next glass!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Hopgeek (90) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 7, 2004
Pours a rich redish brown color and makes a thick offwhite head. Head retention is great and laces the glass nicely all the way down. Smell is rich and inviting. Heavily roasted and malty aromatics fill my nose. Flavor opens up bitter and spicy, and then the rich and roasted character appears again with a nice layering of hop flavor and finishes with a malty sweetness. This beer is so unique, the flavor profile is really unlike any other beer I have ever tried. Mouthfeel is medium to full and leaves a slight sticky coating on the throat, warming as it goes down. Arrogant Bastard is incredibly tasty, drinkable and in my opinion a nice session beer... cause frankly you canít drink much else after the havok this wreaks on your pallate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
mctous (131) - Herndon, Virginia, USA - OCT 6, 2004
I finally experienced this on draft last Friday (thank you, Tuskies)! Both versions reek of hops and malt (the way a good beer should) and hold their heads well, the bottled version more so. Both have a clear, antique gold color. The draft version allows one to better appreciate the complex malt recipe, including a sour mash flavor (the old Guinness trick). Both have deep, well extracted hop flavor, the draft version has less aromatic flavor, again favoring its palate. I give the draft version even higher marks than the bottle, and bottled Bastard is on my short list! Three cheers to Stone Brewing!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
JMerritt (1920) - Macomb, Illinois, USA - OCT 5, 2004
GABF 2004. It took nearly 700 ratings, but finally - my first Stone brew! Amber-orange in color with a small, off-white head. Clear body. Hoppy, resin aroma, intermixed with some tangerines and a touch of alcohol. Bitterness is definitely agressive, yet not overly so, accompanied by a sweet caramel malt backbone that holds it all together. Full bodied, sticky and oily, with soft carbonation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Crosling (1864) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - OCT 3, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 6, 2005 Pours burgundy in color. Looks like a beautiful sunset when help up to the light. Long lasting white head with a sticky lace that clings to the glass. Exceptional looking beer. The nose was full of prunes, vanilla, alcohol, floral hops, citrus fruits and a malt undertone. Sharp hops at first followed by flavors of prunes, apricots, caramel and light toffee. Hops are dominant but the malt presense is very high too and balances well. Hops still take over this beer and make it very bitter. Excellent mouthfeel as well. All around an exceptional beer!

cathcacr (646) - Oregon, USA - SEP 30, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 10, 2005 Listen up, you filthy maggots! I will teach you the ways of beer-loving whether you goddamned pussies like it or not! Because inside every fizzy yellow macro-swiller is a beer-lover trying to get out. You, whatís your name? Bullshit! From now on, your name is Yellowbelly. You like that name? Good, ícause from now on, youíre gonna be down lickiní up the floor of my head until you learn to love good beer, you miserable little piece of shit! You, wipe that smile off your face! And you, wipe that fizzy commie yellow-deer-drinking bitter-beer grimace off yours! You make me sick! You make me want to vomit, right in your fizzy yellow beer, just so you have something of flavor in your drink! You little worm! You bottom-fermenting ass-eating scumbag! Iíll kick your ass! Iíll shit in your beer just to give it color and aroma! Now drop and give me 25! You, whatís your favorite beer? Guinness, eh? Really sophisticated, huh? I admire your honesty. Hell, I like you. You can come over to my house and fuck my sister. *WHACK!* Now get back up on your feet! Why did you join my beloved corps? So youíre a drinker, eh? Letís see your beer face! Bullshit, you didnít convince me! AAAAGGHHHH, thatís a beer face! Work on it! And you, whatíre you looking at you ugly fuck! Youíre a yellow-beer-drinking wussy too, huh? I donít think I heard you correctly! I think I just heard the level of class in this entire platoon drop by 200 points! I bet you drink beer like old people fuck! Here, have a splash of some real beer in your eyes! Here, gag on this! You happy now? You like my bottle? Do you think itís cute, do you think itís funny? Bullshit! Iíll kick your ass so far up between your shoulder blades, youíll have to stand on your head to take a dump! What, you donít like your head in a toilet boil? Then get your face out of that macro bottle, swillboy! Do you suck dicks? Are you a peter-puffer? Thatís most unfortunate, because youíd sure as hell get better mouthfeel and flavor with that than with the pisswater you imbibe! You like real beer? I canít hear you! Bullshit, I still canít hear you! Sound off like youíve got a pair! Okay, then. Goodnight ladies, and repeat after me: This is my bottle. There are many like it, but this one is mine...