overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3581   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably wonít like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
ekarmst (44) - Ames, Iowa, USA - JUN 14, 2003
I am not worthy! This beer was overrun with hop astringency. Reminded me of "Ass in the Tub" hot sauce the way my body reacted to it and I'm a hop head. This beer must be brewed with highly carbonate water. I didn't even finish one bottle. I am a loser.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
jstu9 (402) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 12, 2003
(bottle) Not sure where to rate this. This is one where it goes over the top... but I can't say that is bad. But I guess I take a few points off the palate, but give them back on the flavor. That pretty much sums it up.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 18/20
LordNeuf (136) - Acton, Massachusetts, USA - JUN 11, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 1, 2009 My first impression of this beer was Grapefruit. I had nothing but the taste of Grapefruit on my tongue. Which then was overpowered by the hoppy bitter finish. This is a very powerful beer, And yes, the bottle warned me. might not like it. And I didnít it wasnít my kind of beer, not to say it was a bad one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
gwfrankpsu (231) - McKinleyville, California, USA - JUN 9, 2003
Wonderful beer, hoppy fruity aroma, chewy malty (dark bread, carmel and slight coffee flavors). The finish is simply wonderful with a great hop slap in the face - I Love this beer! I'd like this with a steak. Wait, I did.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
PhillyBeer2112 (2523) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - JUN 3, 2003
UPDATED: APR 5, 2009 Sampled 50-60 deg F in a straight sided pint glass. A very attractive and inviting beer with a dark ruby color and firm creamy head with heavy lacing. Reminiscent of Bigfoot ale: strong caramel malt backbone topped by a ton of hops - just a different kind of hop than Bigfoot. Very piney and resiny. Malts are present, providing a syrupy body with some caramel and toffee presence, but the hops effectively mask most malt taste. A quinine type bitterness, hop flavors are tingly in the mouth, mixing with the syrupy feel in an almost unpleasant way. Maybe Iím not worthy, but I donít believe this beer is particularly great. Rerate: not sure what was wrong the last time I had this, but this bomber (purcahsed at my local gas station here in FL, rockin!) was a fairly decent, somewhat balanced dark hoppy ale. The malts were mildly chewy, caramelized and sweet. The hops were resiny with a slight citric character. Not overly bitter. More of a balanced finish, Upgrade from the old 3.5

mribm (457) - Ocala, Florida, USA - JUN 2, 2003
An absolutely perfect beer in every way! Except for the dark brown color, it was more of an IPA then it is a brown ale, but whatever it is, it is now an instant favorite of mine! It poured from the bottle with a thick, light tan head that lasted a long time and left a lot of lacing on the side of the glass. Smelled like citrus fruit and had a hoppiness that made me happy! I was expecting a beer that was lighter in color, but it made no difference. I LOVED THIS STUFF! I also loved the arrogant comments all over the bottle, like Keep Refrigerated Numbskull!! This beer is the reason that I have tasted over 100+ beers, so that every once in a while I find one like this. ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT!!! This beer is a 5.0 in my opinion.

whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 31, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 14, 2005 Original rating: Bronze body and an interesting aroma of rich crystal malts, strong, enigmatic Stone-style hops, and honeydew. Flavor is fairly hoppy but has a big fat brown sugar and cinnamon malty middle from the obnoxious malts. Full, chewy palate that becomes cloying. Every time I sample this beer, I find myself dissappointed. The thick malt qualities remind me of a double Fat Tire. Considerably less nuanced than advertised. Iím a huge Stone fan, but not so much when it comes to this beer. I guess Iím "not worthy". Stone IPA is a champion and clearly superior to this brew. Ditto for Double Bastard. For some reason I still keep coming back to the Arrogant Bastard though. 8,4,6,3,15.

Re-rate from a fresh draught pint: This is a completely different beer. Big fat fruit notes and nice, fresh hop sting balance the chewy malts wonderfully. I now realize that I probably have never had a fresh bottle. Based on the fresh draught sample, my rating goes from a 3.6 to a 4.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
PorterPounder (5470) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - MAY 30, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 18, 2005 Rerate Had on tap at the Ginger Man in Austin, Tx. Did not blow me away this time; still looks good but the aroma is not quite as flowery and the hops were more subdued. Stilll high quality though. Original 4.4 The reputation is deserved - it holds itself up to it. Small tight off-white head upon pouring opens up to a bouquet of fresh fruit. Hints of dates and raisins as well in the aroma. Dark orange to amber appearance - very thick looking. Flavor - detect cherries on top of the malt. Hoppiness reveals itself in the aftertaste - and its quite prominent but in a nice way. Alcohol is not evident in the taste. Overall, a great brew - glad I was able to scounge this up at Bacchus in Chattanooga.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Aurelius (4115) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - MAY 30, 2003
Formidable brew. Funny label and write-up on the back. Fruit-cakey aroma: malt, fruit, spice, vanilla, nuts. Rusty beer with silky thin head. Woody, tannic, strong hops, starchy mouthfeel. Loooong finish. Almost like a winter beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
HopsOrDie (687) - New Lenox, Illinois, USA - MAY 29, 2003
This is an aggressive beer. Heavily (and heavenly) hopped. Smells great. The high alcohol, and sweetness cuts the bitterness. The overall taste lingers in your mouth. Too bad the bottle isn't bigger.