overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3660   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
jzzbassman (1522) - New Albany, Mississippi, USA - OCT 20, 2003
I had this in the 22 oz. bottle, and was really disappointed after reading all the high scores. I 'm somewhat of a hophead, but either this bottle didn't travel well or I'm missing the point. The aggressiveness didn't bother me, but the lack of balance did. Undetectable malt flavor, and rather thin mouthfeel. I liked the hops flavor, but the bitterness afterward was just too unbalanced for me to really enjoy. I'll give it another try when I can have it on tap.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
temporrari (384) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - OCT 19, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 12, 2006 Pours dark ruby color. Light tan head. Tight lacing. Aroma is hops, pineapple. Fruity. Flavor is about the same. Simply excellent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
brewblackhole (1588) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 19, 2003
Slightly thinnish aroma for such a solid red color but the taste and mouthfeel were wonderful, creamy sweet wellrounded taste,which stays pretty consistant through whole bottle. You just start noticing alcohol at the end. Top notch brew

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
snoot (286) - Anaheim, California, USA - OCT 15, 2003
Deep red on the pour, good size head with some retention and nice lacing. Aroma is mostly hops, with some citrus fruit and a touch of malt. Flavor is hoppy, of course, but there is a nice malt backbone, and definitely some alcohol.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kinz (3362) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - OCT 12, 2003
Deep, ruby red color, decent head. Aroma was filled with fruity esters, some roast, and rubbing alcohol jumped out. Beautiful mouthfeel, very smooth. Malts add weight here, some roasted flavors, a bit of passion fruit, and a clear flavor of ethanol. I found the alcohol to be very up front in this beer, not necessarily a bad thing. Bitter on the finish, but not at all overly bitter. Would be very interested in trying the Double.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
xsketchyx (184) - Oregon, USA - OCT 5, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 9, 2004 Deserving of it's reputation, really bitter finish. The Double Bastard is even better.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Aggie80 (785) - Michigan, USA - OCT 2, 2003
Good head and great lacing! This was a logo pint night at The Ginger Man in Austin. Nice red color, good hop flavor without overpowering the glass. I enjoyed it and found it refreshing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
beerhoto (14) - Terre haute, Indiana, USA - OCT 2, 2003
One of the best ales I've had. A very dark, deep red, and a nice head. A full bodied ale with a great taste, can't wait untill my local pub gets the Double Bastard.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
PrinceofNessus (236) - Norman, Oklahoma, USA - OCT 1, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 31, 2007 One of my favorites, a strong content along with an excellent taste. The aroma is hoppy and floral, roasted malts. I need to have a glass before me to rate it perfectly, but when I open my last bottle, I’ll re-rate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mrkimchee (1414) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 28, 2003
slightly hazy deep red, well retained lacy beige head. nice aroma of caramel, candied fruit and flowery hops. you can really tell there's a big ale waiting for you. smooth and full bodied mouthfeel. sweet ad roasty malt, bitter chocolate, orange hard candy and some resiny bitter hops. overall well balanced and very well crafted. the best I've tried from stone.