overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3681   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
jfm (1724) - Holbæk, DENMARK - NOV 20, 2003
Amber color with a white head. The taste is sweet with a complex finish of bitter and aromatic hops.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ukoolaid (576) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 19, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 29, 2005 Brown color, tan head. Beautiful juicy fruit aroma (peach). Creamy bitter and dry. Citrus flavor with some malt and nuttiness. Nice and hoppy. GREAT.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
bsour (78) - Boise, Idaho, USA - NOV 18, 2003
This beer was great. The head was cream colored and abundant. Lacing was all the way around the glass. It had the color of mahogany wood: a very nice, rich amber. It was crystal clear and had a sweet aroma to it. The maltiness hits first and goes down smooth. The hops hit in the back of the mouth and leave a nice aftertaste. This is a great ale.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheGeek (6) - Columbus, Indiana, USA - NOV 17, 2003 does not count
I was thoroughly impressed with this beer. Such a robust flavor and finishes very nicely.

archstanton (105) - mukilteo, Washington, USA - NOV 14, 2003
holy shit i love this stuff my god it almost turns me on more than my wife does but i wont go there..the taste of this is so smooth and sweet its like drinking honey from the hive.pours a awesome head leaves a great aftertaste in your mouth im amazed how good this ALE is.

IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - NOV 14, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 20, 2004 Mahogany color, thinner tan head. Citrus and piney hops in the nose with hints of malt underneath it all. Flavor was initially malty with massive grapefruit/spruce hop bitterness in the finish. Nice body, long bitter aftertaste. Solid brew, much better than the Double Bastard.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
GEOBRAU (188) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - NOV 11, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 19, 2003 This is definately an aggresive beer. I am a fan of APA and IPA beers. I own a marketing firm and I am a HUGE fan of Stone brewery's marketing especially In regards to this beer, it's a freaking hoot. Having said that lets come back to reality. this is just way too over the top, yes I understand that is the intent and it does the job perfectly. Perhaps if I were wasted and my senses were dulled I may enjoy this beer more. It's got all of the subtlety of a freight train. Kapow!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Syd (921) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - NOV 7, 2003
Bottle pours a deep and cloudy amber brown with a real nice tan head that sustains for some time and leaves good thick lace. The aroma is slightly sugary and piney. The flavor is quite hoppy but also quite malty. The palate is very rich. Overall, I like this ASA.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
stoutosaurus (157) - Clinton, Mississippi, USA - NOV 4, 2003
What a great brew. It is pretty hoppy, but balanced very nicely. I got the faintest coffeeish aftertaste that I enjoyed. Beautiful cloudy amber color. It wasn't as bitter as I thought it would be, which isn't a bad thing. It seems this beer has just the right amount of everything. I am glad I had a chance to try this one.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beeriodic (61) - Longmont, Colorado, USA - NOV 4, 2003
22oz. bomber: Nice tawny head with great staying power. Wow, the hops are all over the aroma. A little floral, too. Taste is kerpow hops with a balanced sweetness. Alcohol is evident (and appreciated). Nice, bitter aftertaste. Sweet malt is left on the tongue and lips. And I only thought that I had grown bored with IPA's... not anymore. Wow!