Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 4093   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
NYHarvey (2153) - New York, New York, USA - JUN 17, 2005
To style it is a fine beer, but it is just way too hopped and thus one dimensional for my tastes. Stone has some well balanced beers and I know they are just trying to give the hop heads what they want, but I think it goes too far...you can add the hops and still balance it with a malt profile and I don’t think that is done here. Still unusual and drinkable, but not something I’d buy again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
AmazonMatt (285) - PANAMA - JUN 8, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 15, 2007 Did I have the correct beer? This beer wasn’t that hoppy? I actually found that I would have prefered less malt and more hops. I had it on tap, so maybe the waitress screwed up. But it was a reddish copper color. Less hops than an Alaska Pale Ale, for example. Something’s wrong here? Much better from the bottle later. On re-rate goes from 3.0 to 3.6.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ehhdayton (1188) - USA - JUN 8, 2005
Light hoppy aroma. Reddish in color. Strong hoppy flavor with a strong bitter finish that quickly goes away.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 10/20
OutHouseDilemma (70) - Crowley, Texas, USA - JUN 7, 2005
It looks fine and tasty, boy were my eyes wrong. Even the smell is hops. Way too much for my taste. Way too much for people that even like the hop bite. You just think you like it because the masses won’t. I could market some fancy massengill type beer with the same commercial description, and the extreme people would slurp it up because it’s extreme/non norm. This hop count would make the top 50 beers on this site be in the bottom 30. My sophistication allowed me to aggressively finish the beer and punch the shit out of the friend that thought I would enjoy it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Britales (56) - Cape Charles, Virginia, USA - JUN 2, 2005
Nice color, nice head, nice aroma! Did you guys ever hear of MALT?? Hops just overwhelm! Still drinkable but I don’t get the hype!!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
KUEric (946) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - JUN 2, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 28, 2005 Bottle: A deep amber red color, with a large tan head. Has a hoppy aroma. The flavor seems to grow as you drink although it may have been a little heavy on the hops, the mouthfeel is so very smooth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ruggedman (647) - Portland, Maine, USA - MAY 31, 2005
I’m probably the only person on this site capable of actually drinking this beer. Like the label says you can’t handle and and wont like it. Stick to the fizzy yellow beers kid. I’ll be off in the corner enjoying this :) Ok enough arrogance, this beer is a beautiful red beer with a nice thick tan head. Long on malt taste that just keeps on going. At first it seems simple, but then as the taste goes on it gets more complex. Great taste, great beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BrewEd (182) - Wilmington, North Carolina, USA - MAY 28, 2005
Bottle: Beautiful ruby highlights; rich, creamy in texture. Hoppy, but nice roasted malt and caramel on the front provide for an almost perfect balance. I just had sampled the Ruination Ale and the 05 Vertical Epic on the previous night so, this one suffers slightly in comparison.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
MikeT (76) - Hollis, New Hampshire, USA - MAY 27, 2005
If there could be a perfect beer made for me this is got to be as close as it gets. Rich crimson color that poured a beutiful thick tan cloudy head that looked like it was put on top by a whipped cream can. The aroma was a perfect blend of malt snd hops, flowers and fruits. The taste was everything and more that the aroma hinted it would be. A long thick tongue tingling of malt, fruits and hops that took forever before ending with just the right amount of bitteness. This beer made you say "WOW " with every sip, please let this linger for awhile. Yet it beckons you to quickly pick me up and have another. This beer isn’t arrogant it pure genius!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
ahole (38) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 25, 2005
HOP! In a word, HOP. Did I mention the hoppy hopiness. By the way, there is a lot of hop to this hop hop hop hop hopyhop. Lastly, you’ll notice the undertones of hop in this glass of liquified hops.