overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3660   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Libeerian (209) - Garner, North Carolina, USA - AUG 18, 2003
I love big beers and this one is big in all respects. The hoppy malty aroma just about knocks you over. Then aggressive hop bitterness and flavor hits you, but its not over the top as there's plenty of caramel malt flavor for balance. The bitter/malt finish lasts and lasts.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
carboloader (674) - Houston, Texas, USA - AUG 17, 2003
Wow. Had this one on draft and then later from bottle. Both are awesome. Immediately noticable seriously intense hoppy aroma. Can also smell molasses/caramel and maybe some citrus or pine. Head is small and tan, mostly dimishing. Deep, reddish amber in color. Incredibly hoppy flavor, and initial sweetness balanced by a long (really long) bitter finish. Reminds me of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine. Has a pretty serious alcohol kick as well. Definitely a favorite anywhere you can find it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Ubiquibeer (140) - Cleveland, USA - AUG 17, 2003
Pours a nice ruby/burgundy color with a nice small head that stays put. Fruity hops that have an aroma like their IPA, but more subdued. Taste of molasses, caramel, bitter citrus (grapefruit?) and an enticing bitterness that stays solid through a nice sweet malt middle to the bitter end. I like this beer. Makes me hoppy, uh, happy.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
EKGoldings (555) - Radford, Virginia, USA - AUG 14, 2003
Harumph. I've made better beer out of molasses, used diapers, pencil shavings and spit. After finishing three quarters of a big bottle, I look down at my feet and my socks are still on. A bad sign indeed. Concentrate Sierra Nevada Pale ale 25% and this is what you get. Malt character is excellent as is the hopping and they are in good balance. No session beer, but a fine drink for sipping or sharing with hopheads as your bud light friends will hate this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TomC1972 (4) - Clinton, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 12, 2003 does not count
This ambered colored ale poured nicely into my glass creating a creamy small bubble head that lasts and lasts. Initial malt aroma followed by lots of hop aroma. Full body malt with a powerful punch of bittering hops that lingers well into the after taste. This was an enjoyable beer but would not drink many in one sitting. A perfect I am going to take my time with this beer type of ale. It would go very well with spicy foods. I enjoyed this beer and will defintly imbibe with him again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Beloved Beer (278) - California, USA - AUG 12, 2003
For all the hype I think it fell a little short. But is definently an awesome beer. Well rounded maltiness. Goes down smooth. Leaves your tongue and tummy wanting more.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SquirrelMaster (3) - USA - AUG 8, 2003 does not count
Addicted to this beer from the first trial.If you try it and truly like it, you're probably not a wuss. Takes no getting used to, a true and instant classic. Drove down to the brewery and bought a couple kegs, awesome time.

Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - AUG 7, 2003
#400. 22 oz bottle. Drank many times, never rated until now. Copper color, starts like a light barleywine, raisin, dark fruits, toffee, caramel. Immediately switches gears to let the hops take over at the finish. I love this beer. Draft version seems a little tamer but still damn good!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
pfhyde (56) - Davis, California, USA - AUG 4, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 9, 2010 This will be my third time updating this beer. I used to like it--was my standard preference--then I grew out of it--then, after Stone started oaking it, I came back; now I think the oaked AB is one of my all time favorites. Its complexity balances now, with the oaking, and it’s one of my most missed beers now that I’ve been overseas awhile.

dukefan (214) - Dallas, Texas, USA - AUG 4, 2003
My description - the very worst characteristics of an IPA and a Barleywine in one bottle. If you can wait, this beer gets very good after a year of aging. Despite the "worst" characteristics, a very fun flavorful beer.