overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3666   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
drinkbeer (283) - Redondo Beach, California, USA - JUL 25, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 2, 2003 OK, the first time I had this beer was a few months ago on a very hot and humid east coast day. I poured it in a pint glass and sipped on it while cleaning and getting ready to move out of my apartment. I remember thinking, "Wow! This is agressive!" It took me about an hour to finish the pint, and by the end my palate was destroyed. Well, I tried "the bastard" again yesterday and it was a milder, yet more complex experience, and totally enjoyable. The aroma jumps out at you as soon as the cap is popped. It smells like canned peaches and pine needles. Pours a beautiful dark, ruby red. Tastes like piney hops, bitterness surrounds the entire toungue. To quote a friend, "it's like a freakin' orchard." One more thing...whatever beer you drink right after you have an arrogant will taste like an arrogant. that taste is burned into your taste buds. Crazy stuff. Agressive. AMAZING.

MrDick (347) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUL 24, 2003
Just because this beer has a devil on the bottle doesn't mean it's a spawn of Satan. Oh no, this beer is all about the sweet, tenderness that your mother coddled you with as a child. The warm caress of a lover as you picnic next to a sunny , bubbling brook. The rich smell of a field of poppies blooming under the hot vision of the sun. In fact, this beer pours snuggle bunnies that hop, hop hop around in chocolate, coffee, caramel and raisons. That hop, hop, hop until they get put under the blade and stuffed in the oven. Yeah - that's your little bunny cooking in the oven now! And you're going to eat it and enjoy it or else the gargoyles will fly down and grab you and take you away to the dark place! Now drink the damn beer!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - JUL 23, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 3, 2004 Re-Rate 10/6/2004 Clear burgundy/ruby color with a small but lasting tan head. Glass lacing is good. The aroma is quite malty, caramel, and lots of citrus hoppiness. The flavor is complementary to the aroma, sweet caramel and tons of hops. Medium-full body with a big malty finish, still lots of bitterness on the tongue though! While I still like this beer I am not quite as enamoured with it as I once was. Its actually somewhat simple and has a fairly astringent aftertaste. I am thinking that my bottle was not so fresh and this is the culprit.

7/23/2003 8/4/9/4/18 - 4.3 I have had this both on tap and out of the bottle. Both delivery methods were very similar (a good sign). Massive hops aroma, not flowery (no Cascades here). Nice head with good lacing. Tastes bitter but ha/s a very thick malty mouth-feel to balance out the bitterness. Quite simialr to its big brother Double Bastard just a wee bit toned down comparatively (to Double Bastard definitely not compared to other brews).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
andy609 (143) - Auburndale, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 22, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 30, 2005 I drank a whole bomber of this at a party once and remember it being very good. Perfectly balanced between its hop and malt componets. I intend to rerate when I get my hands on it again. Update: Pours a beautiful deep, dark amber with a decent head. Aroma is malty with a floral hop prescence as well. Chewy, high-quality and complex malts initially with a bitter hop finish. A beer that gets better as it warms.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
haddon90 (1492) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUL 22, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 23, 2003 Bought a bottle of this at a 7-11 in Alameda, CA. Very very strong taste! Deep brown color with a nice hoppy aroma. Somewhat bitter but overall it's pretty good. Bought this 22 oz. at a 7-11 in Alameda, CA on my way to a softball game. Go figure.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SDbruboy (1864) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 19, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 17, 2004 Okay, so I just need to start by saying that this is my 100th rating – I’m so excited, here comes the little crown by my user name and a whole new level of respect (I think!?!) Although I didn’t specifically plan it this way until just about a week ago, the Arrogant Bastard gets to cross this esteemed threshold with me. And that seems fitting somehow. It was this aggressive muther of a beer that lured me back to the dark side 3 years ago and inspired me to recommit to drinking good quality brews rather than those mass produced light posers that I’d settled with for a few years. So I do hold a fond spot in my heart for this liquid arrogance. It’s also fitting that this is a beer from Stone, a San Diego brewery – and if you notice, my user name is SD bru boy! Local boy, local brew. Okay, enough exposition, on to the rating. This ale pours thick and dark – almost opaque, but caramel-red if you hold it up to a bright light. It gives rise to a massive light brown head, which takes its own good time to dissipate. The head also leaves beautiful lacing from the top to the bottom of the glass. The aroma, ahhhh heavenly (in my version of heaven anyway), rich roasted malts, spices, caramel, dried apricots, citrus, light roasted coffee and abundant floral hops (but not those pretty, dainty little flower kind of floral hops, these are the bold, assertive kind of flower, floral hops that reach out and smack you in the nose –overly zealous, huge, flesh eating and redolent – those kind of flower, floral hops). The flavor is big, really big and scary. It’s the kind of flavor that the entirety of the Anheuser-Busch Corp. cringes and runs away from like a little schoolgirl confronted by a roaring, drooling, stalking tyrannosaur. It’s a flavor that assails the tongue with muscular – yet oddly graceful – sweet roasted malts, ripe berries, subtle alcohol and fruitiness balanced by the most amazing blast of hops ever to lay waste to a patch of taste buds. The body is thick – charging the border toward syrupy, but then pulling back at the last minute to deliver a supple, creamy dose of carbonation. It has a body to lust after (in mind, in heart and in palate). So now I’ll say it again, ahhhh, ahhhh, ahhhh! An amazing brew and one to which I owe a debt of gratitude. Thank you Stone, thank you Arrogant Bastard, I’m doing my best to prove myself worthy…

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SoylentBlack (123) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - JUL 18, 2003
Damn this is good beer! Strong hops and no overpowering alcohol taste. Takes a few sips to "get acclimated".

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
LiebeBier (808) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - JUL 17, 2003
Draft at Mellow Mushroom in Charlottesville, VA. Red/auburn beer with small white head. Aroma is very hoppy and packed with citrus. I thought I was going to like this beer, and I loved it. Perfect balance of hops and full malt flavor make this beer drinkable and quite enjoyable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
mushi (18) - Corvallis, Oregon, USA - JUL 16, 2003
22 oz. Beer like this makes me thankful I live two blocks away from the store that sells it. This ale pours a deep brown with a red tint. Very carbonated (leaves a big head), but that helps the aroma I think. Floral aroma and hops, hops, hops. The bottle is easily the most original and entertaining I've ever seen on a beer, but fortunately it follows through. I like the bitterness and the hops.

wunderbier (1434) - Tampere, FINLAND - JUL 15, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 23, 2003 22 oz bottle served in tulip glass. Off-white head diminishes quickly. Red-brown color on the table; plum when held to a light. Strong grapefruit and resin presence in the aroma. Malt and yeast are in the back (molasses and dough?). Body seemed a bit watery and lacked carbonation. Bitterness throughout with a moderately acidic finish. Similar to Rogue's Brutal Bitter, but not quite as chewy IMHO. I would have given this one a much higher rating if the malt played a bigger role. Rerate: 12/23/03. Was there more malt in this sample or has my palate matured? I don't know, but either way I'm really enjoying this now. (Previous rating was a 3.2)