overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 4057   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
jackamackson (127) - USA - FEB 12, 2005
on tap. this beer I thought was okay at first, but it has grown on me-its probably my most frequent choice. nice dark red with a frothy off white head. it laces well as I get through the glass. aroma is very hoppy and flowery, a little sweet. mostly hops in the flavor, but some maltiness shines through in the middle, but the hops come back to get you in the finish, and the aftertaste makes you want to drink more and more. not the best beer I have had, but It is my favorite because I could drink it anytime.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
balke13 (156) - MIssoula, Montana, USA - FEB 11, 2005
Dark amber color with a strong and lasting tan head. The nose is strong with flowery hops...a great treat in the first sip, the flowery bitter hops hit first followed by a dry yet sweet malt flavor and finished with more hop bite. Very good stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ghett0yeti (29) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - FEB 10, 2005
This is fantastic stuff. I remember the first time I had it. I was 20. I poured it into a glass and thought to myself "something is wrong with this beer, the head is discolored". Now that I’m slightly older and less wiser I’ve come to appreciate a great beer when I’ve had one. Hops, man. Stone loves them hops, and so do I.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerlist (23) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - FEB 8, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 11, 2005 Aroma is primarily hoppy, but there is some sweetness to it as well. Reddish brown in color, holds its head pretty well. Tons of flavor, plenty of malt and hops to go around. Definitely not a beer for the Bud Light crowd, but if you like your beers intense, this is a good choice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
hopmaster (7) - redlands, California, USA - FEB 7, 2005 does not count
Love the hoppy aspect of this beer, but have to say that with all the hype, I’m surprised it’s not *more*. Have had (and made) more complex and tasty homebrew IPA’s, which is the category that this beer really shold be in, though I have to admit that the character and consitency of this beer, from it’s chocolatey clearness to the delightfully tan head and pretty lacing would be hard to duplicate in a homebrew. Good beer, but as with a lot of microbrews, too many bandwagoneers hopping on to laud it’s greatness. There’s a lot of microbreweries in the US making comparable or better beers without receiving the accolades.

MillStreetMan (152) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 7, 2005
Wow. This is a hell of a beer, really ballsy and bursting with flavour. I love my hops, which this delivers in spades, as well as a plethora of other flavours, especially citrus ones. Though it is the little brother to the Double Bastard, it more than measures up.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
jgseley (7) - California, USA - FEB 3, 2005 does not count
A very masculine beer, fiery hops and an aggressive finish. Much of its appeal is in the devil may care branding and the fierce taste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Cornfield (5570) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - FEB 2, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 6, 2005 The hop-head in me loves this stuff... serious grapefruit, pine, & orange rind hop aromas attack you when pop the bottle. Beautiful red color with fizzy (short-lived) off-white head. Rough roasted malts support strong hop bitterness, fumes filling the sinus cavities. Warming as it hits the belly. Long, lingering bitter hop finish. Great stuff. But, does it live up to all of the silly hype? NO.

<font size=-4><a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Stop, Highland, IN<font size=-1>

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
dwyerpg (5637) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - JAN 31, 2005
Full head, beautiful red color. Head has a very strong nutty flavor. Beer flows down easily. The only problem is that it has a very grainy finish, rough on the back of your throat and tongue; keeps it from being truly great. It does, however, mess you up.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Guitarsessions (21) - Crestline, California, USA - JAN 29, 2005
This beer..... has the wonderful taste of crushed asprin. But towards the bottum of the bottle I started to notice the hops. And it reminded me of a really crappy, watery version of my homebrew. Its an ok beer.