Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3841   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
kbjames (244) - Utah, USA - MAR 17, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 10, 2004 An unbalanced version to its brother the DBA. Great flavors but not as balanced as other stone beer. That being said this is definitly a top notch beer, another great Stone offering

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jables (101) - Champaign, Illinois, USA - MAR 16, 2004
Pours a hazy mahogany with a thin off white head. The aroma is citric hops, grapefruit, and dried fruits, dates and raisins. Taste is big with slick piney hops, citrus fruit also some sweet caramel malt. Moutfeel is full and heavy but perfect for the style. Despite being apparently different styles, the entire time I drank this I was comparing it to Alpha King. Three Floyds and Stone I see as two premiere microbreweries in high demand. AB and AK are the two flagship brews so I subconciously was measuring the two against each other. While I really enjoyed this and would definitely buy it again, AK is better IMO.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
NVBeer232 (467) - Reno, Nevada, USA - MAR 16, 2004
Dark copper color. Hops are front and center in the nose, and let me know what I'm about to put in my mouth is going to be rather bitter! Sure enough, the nose knew. After a full body of carmel flavors with a touch of smoke, the hops jump all over you. Though quite intense, The hops truly save this from being way too malty for my taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Beaver (1489) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - MAR 14, 2004
The Arrogant Bastard pours a deep copper-red with a creamy light brown head that retains well and laces the glass.

It's aroma is strong hops with some citrus notes.

The taste is not nearly as bold as I was expecting. I'm not normally a hop-head, but this is hops well done. Some sweetness and citrus up front, but the hops really dominate the flavor. The citrus, grapefruity twang really helps to balance the bitterness and keep it in line. It packs a bitter aftertaste, but not overwhelmingly so.

The mouthfeel is very smooth and pleasantly bubbly.

Overall, a very smooth drinking beer. I could easily see this as a session beer if not for the wallop of the 7.2% alcohol, which is not noticeable as you drink it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Mephistefales (47) - USA - MAR 13, 2004
This interesting brew finishes much better than it starts. At 7.2% it is fairly potent. At first the maltiness whacked me over the head, but as I finished it, the flavor seemed more balanced. Overall, I was much happier with it near the end than the beginning.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
UNCCTF (512) - Cary, North Carolina, USA - MAR 9, 2004
My 200th rating!!! Bottled, and poured a clear brown with a fluffy tan head. This one had a very malty front and a very hoppy back. The aftertaste was a little too astringent for my liking, but this beer was a treat to try, seeing as how I live in a state where this one is illegal.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
brownaler (394) - Alexandria, Virginia, USA - MAR 8, 2004
Dark red appeareance with aggresive malts off the bat. Begins like an IPA , but finishes like a nice porter. A little tooo malty for me, but very nice.

joker3119 (2) - Oceanside, California, USA - MAR 8, 2004 does not count
The back of the bottle saays it all... It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
AustinMilbarge (681) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAR 7, 2004
Creamy, root-beer float like head. Heavy, hoppy aroma. Goes well with a burger with jalapeno and worcestershire sauce. A little chewy on the malt. I'd have again, one of Stone's better brews.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DYCSoccer17 (3510) - Woodland, California, USA - MAR 7, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 3, 2004 Pours an amber/mahogany color with orange tints. Very robust yellow/orage then changing to tan head. Aroma is hoppy with a fruity scent. Chocolate in the nose as well as some mild yeastly banana smells. Flavor is a hoppy bitter turning into some mild to moderate chocolate notes in the finish. Perhaps some yeast in the start. re-rate--more malts in the nose, maybe hints of chocolate in there. Increased aroma to 7 and OA to 15 from 6 and 14 respectively. More enjoyable than Ruination.