overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3666   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

mribm (458) - Ocala, Florida, USA - JUN 2, 2003
An absolutely perfect beer in every way! Except for the dark brown color, it was more of an IPA then it is a brown ale, but whatever it is, it is now an instant favorite of mine! It poured from the bottle with a thick, light tan head that lasted a long time and left a lot of lacing on the side of the glass. Smelled like citrus fruit and had a hoppiness that made me happy! I was expecting a beer that was lighter in color, but it made no difference. I LOVED THIS STUFF! I also loved the arrogant comments all over the bottle, like Keep Refrigerated Numbskull!! This beer is the reason that I have tasted over 100+ beers, so that every once in a while I find one like this. ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT!!! This beer is a 5.0 in my opinion.

whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 31, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 14, 2005 Original rating: Bronze body and an interesting aroma of rich crystal malts, strong, enigmatic Stone-style hops, and honeydew. Flavor is fairly hoppy but has a big fat brown sugar and cinnamon malty middle from the obnoxious malts. Full, chewy palate that becomes cloying. Every time I sample this beer, I find myself dissappointed. The thick malt qualities remind me of a double Fat Tire. Considerably less nuanced than advertised. I’m a huge Stone fan, but not so much when it comes to this beer. I guess I’m "not worthy". Stone IPA is a champion and clearly superior to this brew. Ditto for Double Bastard. For some reason I still keep coming back to the Arrogant Bastard though. 8,4,6,3,15.

Re-rate from a fresh draught pint: This is a completely different beer. Big fat fruit notes and nice, fresh hop sting balance the chewy malts wonderfully. I now realize that I probably have never had a fresh bottle. Based on the fresh draught sample, my rating goes from a 3.6 to a 4.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
PorterPounder (5713) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - MAY 30, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 18, 2005 Rerate Had on tap at the Ginger Man in Austin, Tx. Did not blow me away this time; still looks good but the aroma is not quite as flowery and the hops were more subdued. Stilll high quality though. Original 4.4 The reputation is deserved - it holds itself up to it. Small tight off-white head upon pouring opens up to a bouquet of fresh fruit. Hints of dates and raisins as well in the aroma. Dark orange to amber appearance - very thick looking. Flavor - detect cherries on top of the malt. Hoppiness reveals itself in the aftertaste - and its quite prominent but in a nice way. Alcohol is not evident in the taste. Overall, a great brew - glad I was able to scounge this up at Bacchus in Chattanooga.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Aurelius (4381) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - MAY 30, 2003
Formidable brew. Funny label and write-up on the back. Fruit-cakey aroma: malt, fruit, spice, vanilla, nuts. Rusty beer with silky thin head. Woody, tannic, strong hops, starchy mouthfeel. Loooong finish. Almost like a winter beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
HopsOrDie (687) - New Lenox, Illinois, USA - MAY 29, 2003
This is an aggressive beer. Heavily (and heavenly) hopped. Smells great. The high alcohol, and sweetness cuts the bitterness. The overall taste lingers in your mouth. Too bad the bottle isn't bigger.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Eyedrinkale (3213) - Astoria, New York, USA - MAY 29, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 18, 2008 This stuff is off the chart. Roasted barley, chocolate and a bit of a hop bit doesn’t male it the hop king but does make it a great beer. Nice lacing throughout and probably a better buzz per oz that DFH Malt Liquor. I doubt any micro sells more schwag than Stone.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
RichJ7 (1175) - Cullman, Alabama, USA - MAY 28, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 25, 2003 Of course, the first thing one notices is the bottle, and truly, it was the reason I bought the beer. However, it is now one of my favorites ... probably the best first impression I've ever had from a beer. Beautiful, aromatic and flavorful. Wonderful brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Lizabeth (360) - east falmouth, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 27, 2003
For a long time I was wary of trying this beer. While neither a beer-drinking novice, or a lightweight ( my favorite style, after all, is Imperial stout ) I haven't sampled many strong ales and the, "You're Not Worthy" slogan which surrounds this particlar brew made it seem all the more intimidating. Call me a reverse sexist but as a female I doubt very much the Stone Brewing Co. had me in mind as a potential customer. It wasn't so much I was worried the ale would be too strong for me as that I just plain wouldn't like it. The beer pours to a rich dark amber color with a foamy beige head which leaves a fair amount of lacing. The smell is intensely astringent and citrusy. The taste was reminicent of unsweetened grapefruit juice with a light overtone of crisp hop bitterness. The 7.2% alcohol content was only slightly detectable, and the bitterness was not overpowering. I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I might even buy it again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
pondoshuffles (141) - Fitzroy Harbour, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 22, 2003
On draught, this ale is quite substantial. However, the malty background does not always jive with the smack of hops. Very good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
hayden1215 (321) - Ohio, USA - MAY 15, 2003
Ruby red in color with an ample frothy head. Citrus and hop aroma. Harsh hop flavor with more than a touch of sweetness thrown in. Long lasting finish. The bottle was amusing as well.