Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 4087   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

OD40oz (774) - Box Elder, South Dakota, USA - JAN 4, 2005
My dad brought me a variety of beers when he went to california. I had previously read reviews on Arrogant Bastard and had saw pictures of the bottle but being from South Dakota I didn’t think I had much of a chance of getting to try this. Extremely dark amber red with a creamy head that doesn’t fade away. It had a distinctive hoppy malty smell. It had a powerful roasty taste and an aftertaste that lasts for quite some time. I was totally impressed by this beer. It is the first Strong American Ale I had ever tried. I hope someday I will have the opportunity to try the double bastard.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
tbookman (618) - Ephrata, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 4, 2005
Dark brown color, medium tan head. Slightly sour aroma. Dark malts and hops flavor collide and make it slightly sharp and astringent. Bitter finish. Decent enough, but I was expecting more.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
donvitozou (141) - memphis, Tennessee, USA - JAN 4, 2005
a beer that commands your attention, very dark red/amber color, hoppy and bitter, but also very smooth, great beer

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
LiamPatrick16 (124) - Montgomery, New York, USA - JAN 3, 2005
Frothy thick light tan head. Dark red body light hoppy aroma. hoppy tate bitter finish nice lacing

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
nahthan (129) - Oakland, California, USA - JAN 3, 2005
Over-hyped media blitz. Good job Stone! One minute it barely existed in a few bars, and then the next minute it was on the shelf in every 7-11. Nice logo, great artwork and attitude, fancy silkscreened bottles. Only available in 22s, from what I’ve seen. In the end the beer itself is another west-coast Cascade dry-hopped pale ale, with a little more character than Sierra Nevada. It’s definitely very tasty, just more hype and image than anything else. You could say that I’m arrogant and snobby about Arrogant Bastard. Stone is a good brewery though, I’d recommend Stone’s Ruination IPA over this one, however.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
rederic (3256) - montréal, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 30, 2004
It pours with a dense head, leaving good lacework, has a deep mahogny color, with hop and nutty barley-malt aroma, follows through a little malt accented, with a robust balance of hop bitterness in the palate with an agrissive bitter hops finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
civforprez (229) - Galesburg, Illinois, USA - DEC 29, 2004
Biting, strong flavor that is terrific for the palate and pleasing to the nose. Hits you quick and hard with the aroma, and appearance is fantastic.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jb (2961) - Rochester, New York, USA - DEC 25, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 14, 2005 This beer started out looking like just another nice small brewery beer. Reddish dark amber color with small head. Aroma fantastic, nice floral bouquet. I don’t buy that this is really hop heavy. It’s well balanced with enough hops kicking in to balance out the maltiness. I loved it though I didn’t find it the most complex beer in the world, just a style I love.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
thehipone (197) - AUSTRALIA - DEC 25, 2004
Tasted from a 22oz bottle. The label doesnt lie, this is a big beer, aggressively hopped. It pours out to a really deep ruby color in the glass with a creamy off-white/tan head. It starts with a sweet, almost chocolatey/caramely malt flavor before the real arrogance kicks in. There is an intense flavor of american hops that is somewhat citrusy. The alcohol isn’t really detectable through all of the hops. It is highly bitter in the finish, but has a very thick mouthfeel. Good beer, but one bottle is probably enough.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
beerandrugby (210) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - DEC 24, 2004
bottle. who likes hops...mmm I do! nice tawny brown color with a half inch frothy head, great lacing! Initial sweet malt flavor quickly devoured by intense hops. hops hops hops. tiny smoky aftertaste, slight fruity orange subtilties...good, but you gotta love hops...the malt was a little syruppy for me, would have liked the malt a little less dark..just a smidge, all in all an amazing brew!! last bottle in the store! ( woody’s see my review if you live in middle TN)