overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3575   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably wonít like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
schm1005 (151) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 27, 2002
This beer has a strong aroma with notes of alcohol mixed in with a hoppy nose. Beautiful dark red color with a malty body to match. This beer attacks your tongue, momentarily twisting it in directions that it is not normally prone to go. What a bastard! This beerís flavor lasts, a hefty one it is. Always good, never matched!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Oristo (67) - Orinda, California, USA - DEC 27, 2002
Great looker. Rich red, nice head. Maltier, nuttier nose than I expected. Somehow, itís coming off a bit less arrogant and much more sopisticated than expected. Probably my favorite of the Stone big ales so far.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Holdwine (1075) - Beertimore, Maryland, USA - DEC 27, 2002
Sell my clothes, Iím going to heaven. This pleasurable drinking experience starts with a nice dark cherrywood color, strong citrus and candy aroma. A nice head from start to finish (then again, I did drink it rather quickly). Your first sip renews your faith in using the alcohol to enhance the hoppiness instead of cloud it. Then, bring on the caramel malt and life is pretty close to perfect. Nice lingering finish. Now, if only it was more widely available.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
eRenner (11) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 24, 2002
This notably strongly hopped American is exactly what one likes (as I do!) for the non weak at heart. The complexity of flavor to include grapefruit, caramel, freshly cracked malts, and dark fruits are exquisitely combined to produce this product. I have enjoyed this several times at local pubs, or in the peaceful setting of my home and every time this beverage shines through. Relatively thick head, excellent palate, and an appropriate color are to be found. It is consistent and only can be beaten by itís bigger brother, Double Bastard!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Motomille99 (7) - Salt Lake, Utah, USA - DEC 23, 2002 does not count
Well, how would I put this... The beerís name is perfect. Itís an Arrogant Ale allright. The pour was nice. The head was beautifully thick. The color, a dark cherry was suprisingly murky, not as clear as I hoped. Dark but not clear up to the light. The first sip took me by suprise. It was strong, rough and bitter. Not my favorite. But after the first sip or two the mellow under tones smoothened it out. I should have continued to simply drink this strong ale alone but I had it with dinner. BIG MISTAKE. I ate it with chicken and vegatables and it was almost undrinkable. It made the food seem too sweet and the food made it seem too bitter. Too bitter you say? Is that possible? YES. I would say keep this beer away from food. It was hard to finish the rest of the beautifuly illustrated bottle with my dinner. Too bad. I love beer with my food.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
KingPinHead (390) - Des Moines, Washington, USA - DEC 21, 2002
8/08/02: Gorgeous mahogany color (reminded me of the lobby of Portlandís old Benson Hotel) accompanied by thick, rocky head with copious lace...Marvelous! Aroma is medicinal sweet--a little like some of my stronger homebrews...Hops hit in two...make that three waves: once at first sip, then a second that slides under the tongue and along the sides of the mouth, and a third which dominates the back of the palate in the finish. Warm, moderately sweet malt rides shotgun through all phases of the journey...This brew has (predictably) rough edges to it--(itís supposed to, of course!)--but the robustness and complexity of the flavors makes this a rare treat indeed. Re-Rate 11/01/02: On draught...Same wonderful appearance...aroma seemed lighter than bottled version, but hops and brandy-like qualities came through nicely...the bitter qualities of this brew were also more in play this time, which to my palate wasnít quite as balanced as my last visit with this, but again, the differences are so subtle that my ratings are not altered...Terrifically brutal!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JCW (1274) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - DEC 21, 2002
I had this on draught at "Moose Maloneís". I had it out of the bottle too, but I donít remember it tasting as well. Both very malty and also having fair amount of hops. Itís an excellent brew, and you will probably like it!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Pjones6738 (500) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 20, 2002
Nice dark red color with good head. Interesting and difficult to describe aroma. Very citrusy and bitter. Very interesting, and would like to try it again.

BOCCALO (10) - USA - DEC 19, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 28, 2003 almost as good as Bonesbeer,ahem, again this is not as good as bonesbeer, but fuckin close!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
JoeM500 (1904) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - DEC 18, 2002
Big hoppy, biscuity nose. This is a big beer that doesnít go too far. Perfect balance of rich caramel malt and fat, chunky citrusy hops. Very funny label. Really good, but I think I was expecting something more. Maybe itís just all the hype on here about Stones Ales!