overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3699   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Lizabeth (360) - east falmouth, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 27, 2003
For a long time I was wary of trying this beer. While neither a beer-drinking novice, or a lightweight ( my favorite style, after all, is Imperial stout ) I haven't sampled many strong ales and the, "You're Not Worthy" slogan which surrounds this particlar brew made it seem all the more intimidating. Call me a reverse sexist but as a female I doubt very much the Stone Brewing Co. had me in mind as a potential customer. It wasn't so much I was worried the ale would be too strong for me as that I just plain wouldn't like it. The beer pours to a rich dark amber color with a foamy beige head which leaves a fair amount of lacing. The smell is intensely astringent and citrusy. The taste was reminicent of unsweetened grapefruit juice with a light overtone of crisp hop bitterness. The 7.2% alcohol content was only slightly detectable, and the bitterness was not overpowering. I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I might even buy it again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
pondoshuffles (141) - Fitzroy Harbour, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 22, 2003
On draught, this ale is quite substantial. However, the malty background does not always jive with the smack of hops. Very good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
hayden1215 (321) - Ohio, USA - MAY 15, 2003
Ruby red in color with an ample frothy head. Citrus and hop aroma. Harsh hop flavor with more than a touch of sweetness thrown in. Long lasting finish. The bottle was amusing as well.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
MicroRob (42) - Kelowna, British Columbia, CANADA - MAY 13, 2003
Hops, malts, full body, color... and cool name. I'm very worthy. What more can I say, this beer is one fine specimen. Warning: After drinking this beer, some of your standards may seem too boring to drink afterwards.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
adwoan99 (244) - Ft. Worth, Texas, USA - MAY 13, 2003
This beer'll definitely warm you up. The light aroma doesn't match it's strong flavour, which caught me by surprise. Pouring it into the glass, it appears a reddish-brown, with a large light brown head. Definite visible lacings, very nice. If you like bitter beers, here's a good one for you, but don't be intimidated - it's not *too* harsh. Full-bodied, and a bit oily, goes down easy and has a nice long finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
michaelm18 (118) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 12, 2003
A little too strong and for some reason I just didn't enjoy this beer as much as other users. Still its a decent brew that you will definitely feel later in the night.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
WestsideThreat (13) - Los Angeles, California, USA - MAY 10, 2003
UPDATED: APR 21, 2007 I go back and forth wether I like this or Ruination more.
RARELY does a beer come along that is new and original. Something that hasn’t been done yet. This is an aggresive beer, not for pansies. Hoppy and bitter, alcoholic and deep. Color is somewhat amber and non flattering, hiding the truth of the beer. Head holds its own. Buy this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - MAY 10, 2003
UPDATED: APR 27, 2004 I've had this a lot. One time it resulted in me locking myself in the laundry room. Right now it tastes excellent. Sometimes the first one is a bit of a shock. But the next always tastes like nectar. Reddish brown with beautiful lace. Just a little chocolatey with a medium bitter finish. Stone has to be one of the best breweries in the country. Rerate Oak Aged: Very spicy compared to regular. Kind of has a pumpkin pie taste to me. More complex than the original. Also had Oak Aged on cask once. It was a little softer than the regular Oak Aged. Overall, Arrogant Bastard is one of the most consistantly satisfying beers out there. Great price too.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
RaginCajun (320) - Houston, Texas, USA - MAY 1, 2003
Good aroma, however, doesn't look so special in the glass. Very strong taste that weighs heavily on the stomach. I'm not sure this is worth the $4.30 a bottle, but I may try it again in the future.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SilkTork (5319) - Rochester, Kent, United Kingdom, Kent, ENGLAND - APR 30, 2003
The damn bastard grabbed my by the ears and pulled me down... "Lick this," he sneered. Now - hold on there. I can be a little wild now and again. O yes. I have been known to put stamps on envelopes upside down. I have even worn my underwear two days in a row. But putting my mouth to THAT! And DRINKING it! Now, that's going a bit too far. This is all Krisbierjaeger's fault. Now, there's an arrogant bastard for you. He sends me a bottle of this stuff and expects me not only to drink it, but to be somehow grateful? Grateful! Ha! I am clearly not worthy of being grateful. So, let go of my ears and let me breathe some clean air, the spicy fumes are just too much. I mean, this stuff smells like.... well, it's way too fruity for me. I'll just have a glass of low fat milk, if it's all the same to you. Or a nice cup of camomile tea. I mean, there's chocolate and licorice in that... Devilish flavours. Tempting flavours... Quite nice flavours... Well, maybe one little sip - after all, it does look rather fetching there in the glass. Sort of like a dirty raspberry colour. A rather naughty little raspberry that's been rubbing against a buffaloe's arse. I swear it just winked at me! O yes, that's good! Spank me! Spank me! Pull me down and let me nestle my nose in the bosom of your lupine delights. Tickle me with the hairs of your mighty orifice. Teach me how to drink in the glory of all that is life! Let me gulp down great draughts of marmite and the belching aroma of warthogs fed on the meaty droplets of behelzebub's farts. Let me... just stop a moment. Mmmm. This stuff tickles. It's arrogant, and it's laughing at me. Is it mocking my helpless indulgence in its sheer beauty? Or it is rejoicing in its own confidence? In its life affirming assurance? In its ability to open my eyes to a whole new world of assertive affirmation? Wow! I feel like a new man. Is this really my house? Is this really my wife? Is that really the tie I am wearing? And, o my god, are those really the underpants I chose to wear this morning? I feel like becoming an artist and going out to explore the world. I feel like... Hey, what's this stuff called again?