Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3855   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SG (465) - Valley Center, California, USA - JAN 26, 2004
Somewhere between ruby red and earth brown with no head. It has a sweet, malty nose with a hop presence in the background. Full on the palate with a malty sweetness in the middle that gives way to a nice hop sizzle on the end. There is a slight caramel presence as well. The first touch on the tongue of each sip is very bitter and alcohol-laden, but the sweetness of the middle balances this out nicely. Different flavors jump to the forefront and background as the beer warms up. Excellent offering.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Enniskillen (2044) - Salinas, California, USA - JAN 25, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 25, 2004 Re-Rate Much, much better this time, possible skunked bottle, but is that possible with Stone? Almost seemed chewy with a very nice presence of Hops! Had with a wedge of Jarlsberg. Original Rating 1/25/04 I really did not care for this beer, maybe I was expecting too much? It was just too strong for me. I guess I should have red the back label eh? Maybe I will be a big fan eventually, but not on this day, I'll stick to my non-strong ale's.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
fasteddieIX (55) - Rochester, New York, USA - JAN 24, 2004
Pours a nice brown color with aromas of caramel and toffee, which also form the majority of the flavor. Make no mistake, it's quite bitter, but comes off fairly well.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
bitter (1136) - Henderson, Nevada, USA - JAN 22, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 25, 2006 on tap: alright alright...everyone get over this beer already, deep carmel brown color with a airy head that disipated, nice hop character....with some alcohol taste. its a good beer but not a great beer. ive tasted better pale ale-strong ale types in my time. but since everyone thinks the name is real cool we’ll all drink it whenever we can. everyone just relax with the ’stone’ thowing!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dhickethier (1) - Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 20, 2004 does not count
At first there didn't appear to be an aroma, but it picked up as I took a few drinks and noticed a slightly spicey aroma. The rich redish color hinted of the full body taste to come. The flavor was strong with hops and caramel and maybe a hint of spice. The taste held well and since I like beer with a distinctive flavor that is not too bitter, I really enjoyed this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - JAN 20, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 31, 2004 Had this at a beer tasting. Stone doesn't sell in Illinois (arrogant bastards!) but someone brought a bottle. Not enough to make an in depth assessment but from the two ounces I had it was a treat. Ruby red with tan head. Scent of caramel and raisins and a rich, fruity flavor. Wish I had more to taste. March 31, 2004: Had this as part of an intense tasting with family. Tasted Stone Arrogant Bastard, Ruination IPA, Smoked Porter, Imperial Stout, and finished off with 3Floyds Dark Lord. Arrogant Bastard was an awesome start. All I said above holds and more so as I had ample amount to taste. This is excellent, from the bottle blurb through the pouring and the aroma and the flavor. Awesome.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Rastacouere (6162) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 18, 2004
Deep copper body with a thin light brown head, dark and taunting. Aroma contains a truckload of bold hops, one of those beers that smell thick, probably due to abundant crystal malt? Light citrus character and a suggestion at leather. Taste is very crystal malty with a weird hop profile leading to a untypical dry finish (chalky, dusty, ashes and slightly smokey). Very bitter aftertaste. Body is typical Stone, very full, thick, almost syrupy. Not my favorite Stone, but I gotta recognize the attitude.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
JackLanders (55) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - JAN 14, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 26, 2004 I liked a lot this beer the first few times I had it. Then I realized what it tastes like. Soy sauce. Drinking this beer is like drinking a bottle of soy sauce. Absolutely disgusting. Since that revelation I can't touch the stuff. Neither can anyone else who I have mentioned the word 'soy sauce' to while they were drinking it. I'm all in favor of big malt, big hops, etc. But I'll be getting that elsewhere now. If I ever buy another bottle of Arrogant Bastard it will go into a a stir fry.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
invalid (302) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JAN 12, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 13, 2004 Holy cow, kkm. Big malt and hop nose. Pours a deep red. This beer combines so many of my favorite qualities: big hops, sweet malt, and it's a big beer. I lowered my rating a bit because the after taste was overly bitter, almost astringant.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Probiere (992) - Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 12, 2004
Pours a dark, dingy, rusty red with a tan head that fades to a small, dense scum of yummy foam that leaves meringue-like trailings on my lovely glass. Smells like mangoes (mangoes! YAY!) and maple syrup. Tastes a like a malt monster (toffee, plums, apples, SWEET SWEET MALT GOODNESS) properly restrained, but not conquered, by citric hops. A slighty orangey tang in the background. Clean, bitter finish. I AM WORTHY. Fun!