overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3557   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
Nuffield (3657) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - OCT 15, 2002
Lovely creamy head, wonderful feel in the mouth--full marks in both appearance and palate. The aroma took me back to English ales. The bitterness, which one third of the way through was too much, became more tolerable and balanced later on. Bold and interesting. (on tap, Flying Saucer, Addison, TX)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ARMed (597) - Garnet Valley, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 11, 2002
A very flavorful beer with a lot of character. Very complex. Spicy and bitter yet smooth and silky. Excellent lacing just like all of the Stone beers. Fluffy foamy brownish beigh head. Alcohol is well hidden with the exception of the end of the pint.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
SpaceMonkey (182) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 9, 2002
This cranks out tons of pine tar and flowers in the nose, kind of like you poured a bunch of it over a flower patch. Yet, it’s a good smell. I almost feel like I’m in the brewery and a new batch is ready to go, a really fresh smell. The color of this beer is unlike any other. A deep magenta, almost on the edge of purple, rusty, orange brown, it is very clear , and very deep nonetheless. The head is a creamy beige microbubble soup that stays the course and laces up the sides. I don’t usually base my ratings on the container, but I have to give this an extra appearance point for some of the best beer label literature around. Yes, this is a big beer, but it balances like an elephant on the head of a pin, a move in any direction and it wouldn’t work. Yet, it does. It starts of with a bit of black licorice sweetness and pine needles, the segues into a screaming hop finish, much like a meal of fresh flower petals. A classic and and one of a kind. The ending bitter kind of echoes back at you periodically, much like screaming across the Grand Canyon. Cheers, have an Arrogant Bastard, you’ll never be the same.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
toddmori99 (2) - Bloomington, Illinois, USA - OCT 8, 2002 does not count
Tried this for the first time last weekend. Very Impressed. I generally am not big into extremely hoppy beers, but was interested by the fruity aroma (reminiscent of pineapple to me and my friends)and tghe rich, dark color. Was not dissappointed as the slight fruitiness was complimented by the sharp hop flavor for an aggressive, but not offensive taste. aftertaste was pleasant, and not overly long-lived. Overall, one of the best beers I have tasted

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
rlhubley99 (36) - Austin, Texas, USA - OCT 6, 2002
Ok, I shared a big 22 of this yesterday, and liked it. I found it to be quite complex, which is a fancy way of saying not very "easy to drink". It was quite hoppy i thought. I will need to try this one a couple more times I think, but it will probably not be a favorite of mine. Yet, we shall see.....

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
AceOfHearts (1375) - Mountain View, California, USA - OCT 4, 2002
RE-RATE #2: Had to bump it up some more. I mean, being able to be with a bunch of crappy beer drinking friends and saying to the bartender, ’Give me a pint of the bastard!’ and when your friends ask for a taste, they cringe at the intensity...how cool is that? RE-RATE: How my taste has changed in about 6 months. I gave this beer several more chances because I love everything else that Stone puts out and because it’s perfect to drink from my Arrogant Bastard pint glass. I have definitely developed a taste for it. The aftertaste still doesn’t appeal much to me, but the flavor has a very strange and complex fruitiness - something that is hard to describe in terms of existing fruits, it’s as if it tastes like a fruit that God forgot to invent. If I had to describe it, I’d say lemons and grapefruit is about as close as one could get. It seems to somehow make it into the malt profile and hoppiness. Quite nice! ORIGINAL RATING: I find this stuff over-rated. The flavor is okay but unremarkable (raisins, figs?) but the aftertaste kills anything else good about the beer. I walked out of the pub a few minutes later wishing for some crackers and water.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerguy101 (5277) - Newark, California, USA - OCT 4, 2002
“YOU’RE NOT WORTHY” Dark brown color, medium head. WOW This is a very aggressively hoppy ale, very bitter strong hop taste. Extremely bitter finish. Nice balance of malt and hops. An aggressive beer, nice taste but not for everyone. Nor would I want to drink this beer all the time. High alcohol (7.2%). Nice etched bottle.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BeerLimey (2154) - California, USA - OCT 2, 2002
Reddish body, thick foam, strong carbonation. Malty (crystal?) aroma with evident alcohol and heavy hopping. Toasty caramel malt flavor, great bitterness in the finish, extremely citric. Hops last well into the atertaste along with hints of chocolate.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
wilkie (1208) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - SEP 28, 2002
Good god what a beer. I had this one at the SMA hopfest in NC, and if it had been a dog show this beer would clearly have been best in show. Strong dark character, with a rich hop taste, with bitter finish that is damn near perfect. It is hard to put a label on the beer itself. Close to a Nut Brown, but doesn’t really fit either dry or sweet style. Generally, it was just damn good. Unfortunately, can’t buy it in NC.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
senjiro (35) - Wheat Ridge, Colorado, USA - SEP 27, 2002
like a punch in the face. terrific. probably the most complex ale i’ve had. hints of citrus and ... smoke in the nose, a dark red-amber color with perfect carbonation. nice hoppy aftertaste, with a full on initial torrent of flavor. i really liked this beer! I brought this back from a recent trip to SanFrancisco. Found it in a corner-grocer and walked around town all day with it shoved in a brown liquor bag, looking like a hobo. however, it turns out, to be completely worth the humiliation of procuring it.