Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3835   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
GEOBRAU (188) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - NOV 11, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 19, 2003 This is definately an aggresive beer. I am a fan of APA and IPA beers. I own a marketing firm and I am a HUGE fan of Stone brewery's marketing especially In regards to this beer, it's a freaking hoot. Having said that lets come back to reality. this is just way too over the top, yes I understand that is the intent and it does the job perfectly. Perhaps if I were wasted and my senses were dulled I may enjoy this beer more. It's got all of the subtlety of a freight train. Kapow!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Syd (921) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - NOV 7, 2003
Bottle pours a deep and cloudy amber brown with a real nice tan head that sustains for some time and leaves good thick lace. The aroma is slightly sugary and piney. The flavor is quite hoppy but also quite malty. The palate is very rich. Overall, I like this ASA.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
stoutosaurus (157) - Clinton, Mississippi, USA - NOV 4, 2003
What a great brew. It is pretty hoppy, but balanced very nicely. I got the faintest coffeeish aftertaste that I enjoyed. Beautiful cloudy amber color. It wasn't as bitter as I thought it would be, which isn't a bad thing. It seems this beer has just the right amount of everything. I am glad I had a chance to try this one.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beeriodic (61) - Longmont, Colorado, USA - NOV 4, 2003
22oz. bomber: Nice tawny head with great staying power. Wow, the hops are all over the aroma. A little floral, too. Taste is kerpow hops with a balanced sweetness. Alcohol is evident (and appreciated). Nice, bitter aftertaste. Sweet malt is left on the tongue and lips. And I only thought that I had grown bored with IPA's... not anymore. Wow!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
mattj (10) - USA - NOV 3, 2003
Of all the hoppier beers I've tried this is the only one I've really liked.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
krdktq (17) - Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 3, 2003
You could tell this beer is made from high quality ingredients. It poured and looked great in the glass. I just could not get past the pine needle taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
jayc (28) - USA - NOV 1, 2003
All 'the right stuff' -- looks good, feels good BUT too darn sweet (carmel-like) and REAL heavy. Great conversation piece though and everyone wanted a souvenir bottle to take home with them. BE CAREFUL handing this out to serious beer people ... if you do, have some cigars and a good brandy as a back-up ... or perhaps a stash of Glenlivit 18!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BrianO (138) - Ambler, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 29, 2003
Pours a burgandy with small head. Aroma is piney(unusual), citrusy, and malty. Flavor is malt and pineous, citrus hops but that disappears after you swallow as the bitterness of the beer grabs your attention. Dry finish. Another good brew by Stone.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
unclebleen (620) - California, USA - OCT 29, 2003
Had on tap at the Stone brewery. Pours an interesting orange brown color with a medium off-white head. Aroma is very hoppy and unique. Nothing else quite like this one. Taste is citrus hop with a nice maly balance. Body is a little thin. Note: Also tasted this at the San Diego Brewing Festival, as it was oak-aged. Really enjoyed this version. Wonderful rich vanilla flavors.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
warrior (213) - Mt. Wolf, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 27, 2003
Excellent american IPA to the max. Huge hop aroma and flavor balanced with caramel malt flavor. A celebration ale on steroids! I had this on draft Fri night, nice spicey hop flavor that lingered after the intial taste. I will be having this draft again!