overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3595   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Trappist (284) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - NOV 8, 2002
What I liked best was the dry bitterness to it. I am a huge stout and porter and bitter fan, and although this is neither it is close in the bitter taste. This is good stuff.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
dankfor20 (193) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - NOV 7, 2002
Just had one of these on tap and let me say man was it good. Stone knows how to brew beer and this is just another perfect example of that

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
hopscotch (9162) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - NOV 7, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 26, 2004 This beer rocks. What was I thinking with my previous rating? I rated it fairly high, but was way off with my description... I think. I described the appearance as a cloudy mohogany color. Ummmm, the beer I am currently staring at is as clear and sparkling as the Golden Dome in South Bend, Indiana. Mohogany isn’t a bad description, but ruby is more accurate. The medium-sized head is off-white, creamy and mostly lasting. Excellent lacing too. The aroma is left coast all the way. Malty, mysteriously spicey and very floral. A little buttery too. The flavor is malty and bitter up front... leaning farther toward the left coast’s hops than London’s toasted malts. Not balanced. Not supposed to be. Yeah, sure, there are notes of caramel and toffee on the tongue, but the hops beat the living shit out of them. I’m glad that all dark ales aren’t this massively hopped, but I am rather enjoying this one. The perfect beer for a cold, rainy, November West Virginia night such as this. This beer is full-bodied with lively carbonation. Creamy mouthfeel. Medium length, semi-dry, bitter finish. Notes of buttery toffee at the wee end of the finish. Great Beer! Have one.

Suttree (5143) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - NOV 6, 2002
Hops, of course. Also an earthy texture in the finish. If you pour it cold, drink it slowly and let it warm up (much like Stone’s Imperial Stout), the flavor becomes much more more complex as it warms. I tasted this and immediately thought of SN Bigfoot, but then I hadn’t had one in a while. It would be an interesting back to back taste test.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cooltunesmann99 (6) - USA - NOV 3, 2002 does not count
If you are a Hop Head you will like this beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
foduck (330) - Denton, Texas, USA - NOV 2, 2002
Heavy hop/malt aroma. Bloody red color with beige light brown head that lasts. Somewhat bitter but plenty of malt to balance. Caramel/munich malt sweetness. I read the label before I drank it so I was expecting something a little more ’harsh’ I guess but it turned out to be quite pleasant. This is a fine ale. The first time I tried this beer was the first time I ever saw ’Taxi Driver’, the greatest film of all time. Whenever I drink this, it makes me want to watch the film, and when I watch the film, it makes me want to drink this. ’May 10th. Thank God for the rain which has helped wash away the garbage and trash off the sidewalks. I’m workin’ long hours now, six in the afternoon to six in the morning.’ Not a session beer, drink this on its own, or drink it before you drink the other beers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
raindog (560) - Evansville, Indiana, USA - OCT 31, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 6, 2009 Shining ruby red color with a modest,inch,tan head floating like a cloud on it. Flavor is loaded with sweet malts and just as loaded with hops.It never stops.The alcohol shows it self at the end but by that time I didn’t care.The malts lead up to the bitterness all the way to the end.The finish changes from a overly bitter to very appetizing leafy bittersweet finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ToadMan (559) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - OCT 31, 2002
Dark red color with a nice medium sized head. Hoppy aroma that is delicious, not as overpoweringly hoppy as the IPA. The first sip starts very hoppy but nice creamy malt comes through in the body, the finsih is fairly bitter. I agree with an earlier poster that the malt doesnt quite balance the hops, but a very good ale nonetheless. The alcohol is certainly present and adds to the aggression, its an exceptional get home from a long night at work and put you to sleep beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
daboskabouter (1470) - Fergus, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 28, 2002
Dark cherrywood red color with a small tan head and lasting lace throughout the session. Very nice, big aroma of citrus fruit - ie/oranges. The body is very hoppy (almost one-sidedly so) with big citrus notes and a touch of alcohol. Also a substantial amount of malt, but not enough for this amount of hops. Fairly nice, but a touch unbalannced.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
MaxPower (961) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - OCT 25, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 25, 2003 I love this beer, cascade citrus aroma, pours ruby-brown color,roasted huge malty flavor with a balanced huge hop profile.This is a big ale with a great flavor, I love it, I could drink it daily.