overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3601   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
FunkDaMan (38) - New Mexico, USA - SEP 9, 2002
when you pour a bottle of this, you’re in true greatness. every brewery should strive to be like Stone.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
mancer99 (13) - California, USA - SEP 7, 2002
Love the attitude, unfortunately it looks like the bastard is right. For me the bitterness ends up overwhelming the promising initial taste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
stephen (308) - California, USA - SEP 2, 2002
Tasted on tap in Columbus, OH and in bottle in Columbus. Resiny hop flavor - very heavy on the Chinook. Complexity between hops and malt profile. Definitely a step up from their IPA. Good stuff!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
mwsf (360) - San Francisco, California, USA - AUG 31, 2002
Deep ruby color. Large head. Floral hop aroma supersceded by strong caramel malt aroma. Quite bitter. Very malty. Strong caramel flavor. Very strong floral hop flavor. Very full bodied. Nice beer! Might benefit from aging to round it a little.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
joet (2177) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - AUG 28, 2002
A temporary faux-Cascade floral nose, ebbing to pine, and then robust vine blending with candy sugar and when warm - some musk. The body is all all the rich dark color and hardy fine head suggest. It’s medium-full, creamy and hoppy to the bejeezus. It finishes very clean and soft for such a hoppy beer. The 7.2% is clearly obvious as it warms. This beer gets great scores despite my personal preference for less straight up and more Cascadian brews. Well done!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
aracauna (3087) - Georgia, USA - AUG 28, 2002
<P>I really wish I could have liked this beer, not because of it’s marketing (which is pretty damn cool) but because it is a great beer in almost every aspect. It had a beautiful dark red hue that is unusual for a beer not flavored with a berry. There was a complete lack of head, but I may have been overly careful after an experience with a bottle of Guinness earlier in the weekend. The aroma was nicely hopped and hinted of a complex flavor. The flavor itself was complex and very Belgian-like with hints of fruitiness and other hard to identify flavors. The problem came in the overwhelming bittereness. It was just too strong and ended up overwhelming all of the other flavors in the beer. This however may change, (originally all beer tasted this way to me, and I may have still been recovering my taste for beer after a small hangover from late in the previous week) so I may have to come back and rerate this beer later. <P>rerate 8-29-02: It’s only been a few months since my original rating and already the ’overwhelming bitterness’ has changed to easily palateable bitterness. Nice creamy foam pitted head this time. Too dark to be called off-white. Body is reddish brown, nice but not exceptional. Aroma is some sweet malt and a slightly pine-liek hop bite. Flavor bites first, a little interesting maltiness in the middle and some fruitiness (I could have sworn it was peach there a couple of times, but it became more vague after that) It ends with a fairly short, bitter finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
scottyg (79) - Gainesville, Florida, USA - AUG 27, 2002
Now, I was told before I had this beer that it was the "worst beer ever" and I’d have to disagree. Not the best beer ever though, mainly because of it’s aftertaste, but not bad. It is overrated at 4.08 though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
hopnpop (69) - Wexford, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 26, 2002
This is a real interesting brew. Suffice it to say it’s strong! The hops fade on the palate sooner than expected and are quickly replaced with a warming malty, almost nutty aftertaste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - AUG 25, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 18, 2003 Nice hazy brown color with a thick tan head. The aroma and flavor of this beer are all over the place. At first, the aroma is very similar to a Stone IPA. Later, it becomes more sweet (sugary) and malty. The flavor evolved in a similar way with hints of alcohol towards the end. I'm still not sure where I stand on this beer, but I will say that I think the Double Bastard has a more direct, assertive character that best represents the idea of the Arrogant Bastard Ale. The Stone Brewery certainly has challenged the way I think about beer, and what my standards for a great beer are. Awesome!

Re-rate
I drink this brew about once a month or so, and I'm always struck by how tangy it is. I mean, it's sweet, tangy, bitter, and has a bunch of indescribable flavors in there as well. This is perhaps the most tangy beer I've ever had! AWESOME!!!

SimonPatrice (312) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 25, 2002
Floral and nutty aroma and flavour with an aggressive finish. A big beer with a label that defines it well.