overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3663   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably wonít like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 21, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 6, 2003 I've had this beer 1 million times..exactly..each time its been something totally and utterly different..which makes me come to one conclusion..this beer is the most inconsistent beer that i've had the motive to care about..sometimes its overly hoppy and out of balance..other times its completely balanced with nice carmelly sweet nectarine sweetness and super hoppy bitterness..sometimes its great...sometimes it sucks..I dont know what to say other than..ok.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - NOV 21, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 4, 2003 It's been over a year since I originally rated this - 2 new observations: 1. I now notice a very sweet thick malt in the taste and palate. 2. My best friend Gina wants to have the top 3rd cut off so that she can use the bottle as a vase for flowers - would that be sacreligious, twisted and bent? or would it be a great new industry to get into? - the Beer Bottle/Flower Vase Industry? original rating: Extreme beer should be a new category for beers that challenge you. The first time I tried this, I hated it. (maybe because I was on a porter kick, not prepared for this Bastard's hop content?). So, every week at the beer store it kept taunting me from the shelf. Fine. bought 2 more bottles. Damn it - this is one of my faves. I like the initial bite of the hops followed by the full mouthfeel, finally you have to swallow, crisp, warming finish, how can it be so balanced in the end when it tries to hop you to death at the begining. THis is not for beginners - you need a full appreciation of the beer tasting spectrum before you are truly 'worthy' of this beer. I've actually warned a couple of friends away from this - when they are ready, I will buy them one and maybe walk them thru the experience like a shaman......can't say anymore about it.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
CrimsonGhost1971 (188) - USA - NOV 21, 2002
This is one of the best aleís I have ever tasted. Excellent yet complex taste. Very nice bitter finish. Good head on this one. ;)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - NOV 18, 2002
Dark brown, clear, medium-to-large semi-lasting head. Looks like a typical brown ale. Nose hoppy, floral, grapefruity, with a hint of figs and spices. Flavor is excellent, really over the top on both the hops and the malt. If I hadnít had a 3Fs Dreadnaught a couple of months ago, I would probably think this was "the shit" in the Am Strong category; as it is, it does most things right, though there is a weird heavy molasses-like quality to the body in the middle that Iím not crazy about. Caramel, grapefruit, vanilla, toffee all manifest briefly in the flavor before being completely overrun by the end hoppiness. Very good. Great, I dunno.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MAP (1133) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - NOV 16, 2002
Bo ya, was this beer and experience. More flavor than almost every beer comes close to. Not a friendly beer to most, but that would explain why none of my college buddies like it.....

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Beer Guy99 (250) - Maineville, Ohio, USA - NOV 12, 2002
Another excellent beer that is a bit over-hyped. Donít get me wrong, I enjoy this intensely satisfying ale very much but I donít think itís quite as good as its reputation makes it sound. Itís not heads above a lot of other great strong ales.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
bubslang (438) - Kentwood, Michigan, USA - NOV 12, 2002
This is a wonderful beer, nice garnet like color with a nice large head. Wonderful Aroma is of citrus hops, taste is very complex, hops, hints of citrus and grapefruit, notes of caramel malt to balance things out a little, bitter hop finish, very complex. My first stone brew, but definately not my last. Got to give props to my brother for picking this up for me on his western trip

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Racegoer (353) - Indiana, Indiana, USA - NOV 8, 2002
This is a Manís beer, it has a beautiful amber color. Very complex in flavor. Loads of hype but it does deliver!Re-Rate 10-8-02 Quality American. Strong Ale, citrus, malty,Yes let it warm up, and flavours kick in, ! Widely available and highly Recommended

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Trappist (284) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - NOV 8, 2002
What I liked best was the dry bitterness to it. I am a huge stout and porter and bitter fan, and although this is neither it is close in the bitter taste. This is good stuff.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
dankfor20 (193) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - NOV 7, 2002
Just had one of these on tap and let me say man was it good. Stone knows how to brew beer and this is just another perfect example of that