overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3564   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
proc (342) - Dearborn, Michigan, USA - MAY 17, 2002
Hops, bam! Malt, bam! Hops, Malt, Hops, Malt, (alcohol), Hops, Malt....This is one seriously cool beer. I couldn’t tell which I tasted more or which assaulted me more, the hops or the malt. I liken this to the Thomas Hearns vs. Marvin Hagler boxing match from back in the 80s, while not a lengthy fight, it was a 3-round war which led to a a knockout. I can’t call this a fine beer or a good beer. Its an attitude. Thanks to legion242 for sending this my way.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Diego (79) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 15, 2002
I loved it without opening the bottle. Beautiful complexion. Very dark amber, Complex sweet and somewhat fruity flavors, finishes nicely although this is not to say it is overly gentle. Two is my limit and then I’m feeling quite happy and ready to relax and watch whatever sport I’m in to on the tube.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bbooth (115) - Gilbert, Arizona, USA - MAY 13, 2002
Dark Amber color. Off white head. Sweet slightly fruity nose. sweet start, medium-full body, complex bitter finish. Hmm....warm tummy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ucsbdude (68) - Santa Barbara, California, USA - MAY 11, 2002
This beer will knock you down! I can’t handle more than one 22 oz.A rich dark amber color with a fruity nose.Very hoppy with a nice bite of alcohol.The beer needs to warmed enjoy the complex palate of flavors.Definately worth a try if you can get it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
AxeMaster221 (343) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 10, 2002
Poured a beautiful dark amber with a full off white head. Hoppy / licorice aroma was very nice. A very complicated palate of flavors that became very smooth as the beer warmed. Be warned, even a 22 oz. of this really packs a punch. Probably not an every day beer for me, but definately worth a try.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
prpplague (247) - Euless, Texas, USA - MAY 5, 2002
strong fruity aroma, wonderfule dark amber color. the flavor is strang with hints of lambic style. i’d have to agree the others that have rated this, it is truely a complicated brew, but doesn’t appeal to my taste.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
calibeerman99 (3) - FRESNO, California, USA - MAY 2, 2002 does not count
Arrogant Bastard, Guinness, Arrogant Bastard, Guinness, Arrogant Guinness !!!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Nate (3648) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 30, 2002
UPDATED: APR 29, 2003 My original rating of this beer was in my RateBeer infancy - before I became enamored by hops. Now ... great aroma - grapefruit and tang. My wife calls it sweet cat urine. Slightly hazy copper red beer with off-white foamy lacing head. Medium carb and medium heavy watery body. A light sweetness and fruit before being hammered by a huge bitterness. My taste buds shrivel is response. Huge grapefruit taste with bitter finish/after. Awesome. Alcohol/vapory. Malts and citrus. A really great beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
P-tor44 (886) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - APR 29, 2002
sugary, candyish aroma that I thought was Licoriche. Dark reddish brown. starts with some sweet malts then some slight alchohol. this is all nicely balanced by some nice tangy hop bitterness. Very interesting.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
strictlydomed (34) - Vancouver, Washington, USA - APR 26, 2002
Different inital tast, but really enjoyed the after tast, great color, plus at 7.2& it kicks ass!!!!