overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3769   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jbrus (4991) - Delft, NETHERLANDS - MAR 24, 2003
Just came home from a satisfying day of work, sitting in the first spring sun, still warm - about 15 degrees Celsius - in the late afternoon. Kids playing in the back gardens, the first tiny green leaves on trees and coming out of the ground, announcing the flowers that will soon arise. The first little bugs crawling over the finally dry floor of my garden. Birds getting excited about the bugs and making love. Then the sound of a beerbottle being opened - pssshh. It pours a beautiful red-brown color with a light brown head leaving very nice lace. Smelling the beer gave me a feeling even beyond the extasy I already felt. A very very beautiful hop perfume with some caramel and raisin. This beer must be yummy! The first sip was so much in contrast with all surrounding me. A very harsh hoppy flavor but yet light sweet. A nice fruitiness, raisin, plum and hell I don't know what - complex. A nice body, full and filling my stomache but not like liquid bread. A medium long lasting finish with much bitterness that almost makes it acidic. You can imagine I had much trouble rating this beer objectively. But even though I tried my best to not like it too much I still did. Thank you mother nature for this afternoon and thank you aceofhearts for this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
BeaverBrown (245) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAR 22, 2003
Smells fruity, perfumey, citrus. Very bitter. Sweet and hoppy. Slight dryness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Silphium (3188) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - MAR 22, 2003
UPDATED: APR 13, 2003 The arrogant bastards at Stone pulled a fast one! This isn't beer; it's really fermented grapefruit juice! Hops are dominating, and the grapefruit flavor is immediate and thick. I love the color of this one too- it is dark amber/red, fitting for a beer with an arrogant gargoyle on the bottle. Arrogant Bastard is a top-notch ale, and pleasantly strong! Update...no change in score, but I found this on tap at Mac & Joes in Oxford, Ohio, a sign that the world is not yet ending, as there is good beer to be quaffed.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
VAYankee (334) - Virginia, USA - MAR 22, 2003
This beer has bite! Brown/red color with a strong, spice aroma. Nice mouthfeel. The flavor is strong and severe, just as advertised. A bitter and hoppy taste. Shows some strong similarities to barleywine style. A high quality beer best suited to when you have as aggressive an attitude as this Arrogant Bastard.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
BeerRunner (144) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 22, 2003
Ahh, this is a fine American Strong Ale! The head is gorgeous, the mouthfeel sublime and the taste is bitter, hoppy and malty. It also kicks ass to boot. This is by far my favorite beer from Stone.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
amx1970390 (480) - Southampton, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 21, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 6, 2004 If you like cheap crap beer, stay away. What we have here is a beer drinkers beer. Thick sticky head, deeep brown in color. Aroma of malts and hops. Taste is warm heavy hops with a malt chocolate finish. Quite fantastic. If you do not like this beer, YOU SUCK!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
smoosh (536) - New Albany, Indiana, USA - MAR 20, 2003
Draft: Somewhere between caramel and ruby in color with an amazing beige colored head. If you bake (or watch the Food Network) think stiff peaks. Scent of grain and flavor of malt with a lingering hop finish. Stone Brewing may be right, we may not be worthy!

ConiseurofBeer (242) - Downingtown, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 18, 2003
I loved this beer and I loved it's whole story! It mocks macros. Awesome. That's all I can say about it. As for the other stuff, you better look at someone else's rating.

BeerPrince (1701) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 18, 2003
Great label and even better description mocking the macros. Body was deep amber and radiated with aroma of spices and flowers. Taste was floral as well and quite enjoyable. Finish was great and dry.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Shag (2668) - Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA - MAR 14, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 27, 2003 This was my introduction into the wonderful world of great beer! This was also my first Stone brew and my palate will never be the same! You can find this everywhere around here so its a regular pick up for me. Brownish/red color and hopped nicely. Good head and lacing. Excellent aroma of hops and spiced fruit. Alot of malt flava. A slightly thicker syrupy texture. This is one arrogant bastard to a BMC drinker, but for the rest of us, its not so arrogant! Just good!