Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3856   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
snowdog (6) - USA - JUL 12, 2003 does not count
UPDATED: JUL 19, 2003 This beer is a powerful beer lover's delight. Hops a plenty, and major flavor. Still, it somewhat reminded me of a stout, with a hint of chocolate. I sincerely wish that Stone Brewing would start distributing more beers in the Austin, TX area, because if this is any indication of their line of brews, they really have a handle on what it takes to make a really excellent Ale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
biomechanic (55) - Washington, USA - JUL 9, 2003
Not bad. Is really hard to describe. It's been a long time since I had one of these. It smell kinda floral and has dark reddish color. Like thte label says 'aggresive'.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
cquiroga (371) - Tujunga, California, USA - JUL 8, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 16, 2003 7/8/03. Poured out of bottle, purchased at Beverages and More! in Orange, CA, 7/8/03. Above rating is an average of the two. ORIGINAL RATING: Frothy, robust tan head that lingers moderately. Dark amber color, almost burgundy with some opacity. Scent of dark caramel and some fruity hints (citrus? sure. apples? peach? nectarine? ok.). Very nice lacing on the glass. Initial taste is of bitter fruit, very creamy and full. Goes down smooth as silk, leaving behind a tingly warmth on the tongue, mouth with a long-lasting buzz. Strong hops presence, but not that floral-- mostly fruity and refreshingly bittersweet. This stuff is not strongly alcoholic for a beer as robust and powerful as this, but something hit me very quickly-- I can't say I was drunk, but I was definitely feeling different after just one 22 oz. bottle. Very tasty stuff, deservingly the flagship beer from Stone (although I'd prefer the Imperial Stout). One of the best things about my recent move to California. Can't wait to try this on draft! (Original score: 7/5/8/4/16/4.0) RE-RATE: 11/14/03. On draft at Stone Brewery in San Marcos, CA 11/14/03. Dark amber brown-- very dark. Nice fluffy dark cream head, disappears. Quick and light lacing. Nose is mostly malt with bright, light subtle sweetness. Pleasantly smooth medium mouthfeel until the stinging hops, then a little bright sweetness on the edge. Dark and dirty finish, very long-- numbing and dry, but still quite nice. (Rerate score: 6/4/8/5/16/3.9)

sudsmeister (66) - Colorado, USA - JUL 8, 2003
A staple for me when I can afford it, this brew is hoppy, astringent and fairly strong. Very tasty! Nice that they brew it all year long.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
BBB63 (6507) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - JUL 6, 2003
Reddish brown hue with a average tan head and good lacing, medium-bodied. A lot of grapefruit on nose with some malty undertones. Tart and sour initial taste, some sweetness does appear but dominated but the bitter hops, detected a bit of saltiness in the finish. Surprising creamy and soft mouthfeel. Hides the alcohol well. A good beer but a tad overrated, another hop head delight.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
redlem (1306) - Ohio, USA - JUL 6, 2003
Dark ruby clear color with a large deceptively ever rising rocky tan head. Srtong citrus hops aroma with fresh baked sweet bread background. Hops offer their cleansing effect to this beer very nicely. A spicey finish. Clean, crisp, and very drinkable for a 7% beer.

matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - JUL 5, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 2, 2003 Oh Hell yah, this is a Beer!! Seriously, I really hate arrogance, but I fell in love with this Arrogant Bastard! -- My first impressions: == This dark amber beer pours with a nice dirty foamy head. From my first sniff of this beer I smelled citrus, but mainly grapefruit & guava. The Arrogant palate is soft and silky, this is a perfectly hopped beer for my liking, but the malts are still pronounced in the aroma and taste. What a winner of a brew, I am so bitter that I can’t buy this in Florida! This is a beer that I would like to drink at least once a week if I could; leaving me so immensely jealous of those of you that have this beer distributed locally! --Thanks to dberger624 for sending this brew down to me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
VTDeerHunter (51) - Vermont, USA - JUL 2, 2003
Dark red with a big, creamy head. Hoppy and citrus aroma, with some maltiness. Big and malty with a bitter finish that fades slowly.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Wrath (362) - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA - JUL 2, 2003
Dark reddish brown color. Aroma is very malty with decents hops coming through.Head is impressive and yellowish. Taste is extremely smooth with a well balanced sweet hoppy taste that lingers in the mouth. A real solid ale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TheBeerGod (5689) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - JUN 30, 2003
Dark mahogany or cherrywood in color. Thinly veiled tan head covering the contents of the glass. Nose full of hops and citrus fruit with brown sugar and malt poking through. The taste can best be described as sweetened grapefruit with malt and a splash of sea salt in the background. Remarkably smooth finish considering this is somewhat of a bitter beer. Well done! Stone continues to impress me.