overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3741   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mixamatt (427) - San Francisco, California, USA - DEC 3, 2002
Strong hoppy fruity aroma.Dark red chestnut appearance with thick head.Fruity strawberry peach flavors followed by extreme radiating hop bitterness.

0.6
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
bighair (51) - Hamilton, Ohio, USA - DEC 2, 2002
this is without a doubt the least appealing beer i’ve ever drank in my life. it tastes bad, it smells bad, it is bad. maybe i’m just not ’sophisticated’ enough.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
MiataManiac99 (6) - New Mexico, USA - DEC 1, 2002 does not count
Very nice strong ale. I must admit I poured out my first bottle...too strong. I came back for seconds though...and it has really won me over! Not for the weak beer lover ;-)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
herbstress3 (221) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - NOV 27, 2002
Super charged in hoppiness which tastes awesome. The aroma is relatively weak for such a bold tasting beer. Nice and smooth as it ventures into my stomach.

herbsmoker99 (11) - Lakeside, California, USA - NOV 26, 2002
the perfect beer! not for pussys though

Frank (3222) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 25, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 7, 2003 Having retried this a few times after the hundreds of beers I've sampled, I no longer think it's the extreme monster that I once did. Well, it is extreme but in no way a monster. Rich, full-bodied, complex and well balanced. I like it now more than ever.

Original Rating: Hops! Mind expanding amounts of flavor. Maybe too much of some but I think that's the point. A real killer. It's not my favorite beer but Arrogant Bastard is a definite must try, if only for the name and the cool bottle. My favorite part: the grapefruit finish. Avoid drinking this too cold; it throws off the balance of flavors. At refrigerator temp, it's a fist of hops straight to your face. Wait for it to warm and it's much more well rounded.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DankbrewedDank (162) - East Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - NOV 23, 2002
Ahh, a great beer! Got this bastard in the mail today. The color of this is dark amber with tones of red. Reminds me of there pale ale just darker and stronger. I’ll have tom get more of this sent....

slimjim (106) - New Jersey, USA - NOV 22, 2002
This beer is awesome. Dark amber in color, hoppy like a mother. At first sip it bites you big time. Second sip your almost ready. Third sip your ready to do commercials for this beer. Calling it aggresive still dosent do it justice. This is my favorite beer. You are not ready!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 21, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 6, 2003 I've had this beer 1 million times..exactly..each time its been something totally and utterly different..which makes me come to one conclusion..this beer is the most inconsistent beer that i've had the motive to care about..sometimes its overly hoppy and out of balance..other times its completely balanced with nice carmelly sweet nectarine sweetness and super hoppy bitterness..sometimes its great...sometimes it sucks..I dont know what to say other than..ok.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - NOV 21, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 4, 2003 It's been over a year since I originally rated this - 2 new observations: 1. I now notice a very sweet thick malt in the taste and palate. 2. My best friend Gina wants to have the top 3rd cut off so that she can use the bottle as a vase for flowers - would that be sacreligious, twisted and bent? or would it be a great new industry to get into? - the Beer Bottle/Flower Vase Industry? original rating: Extreme beer should be a new category for beers that challenge you. The first time I tried this, I hated it. (maybe because I was on a porter kick, not prepared for this Bastard's hop content?). So, every week at the beer store it kept taunting me from the shelf. Fine. bought 2 more bottles. Damn it - this is one of my faves. I like the initial bite of the hops followed by the full mouthfeel, finally you have to swallow, crisp, warming finish, how can it be so balanced in the end when it tries to hop you to death at the begining. THis is not for beginners - you need a full appreciation of the beer tasting spectrum before you are truly 'worthy' of this beer. I've actually warned a couple of friends away from this - when they are ready, I will buy them one and maybe walk them thru the experience like a shaman......can't say anymore about it.