overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3761   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably wonít like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Motomille99 (7) - Salt Lake, Utah, USA - DEC 23, 2002 does not count
Well, how would I put this... The beerís name is perfect. Itís an Arrogant Ale allright. The pour was nice. The head was beautifully thick. The color, a dark cherry was suprisingly murky, not as clear as I hoped. Dark but not clear up to the light. The first sip took me by suprise. It was strong, rough and bitter. Not my favorite. But after the first sip or two the mellow under tones smoothened it out. I should have continued to simply drink this strong ale alone but I had it with dinner. BIG MISTAKE. I ate it with chicken and vegatables and it was almost undrinkable. It made the food seem too sweet and the food made it seem too bitter. Too bitter you say? Is that possible? YES. I would say keep this beer away from food. It was hard to finish the rest of the beautifuly illustrated bottle with my dinner. Too bad. I love beer with my food.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
KingPinHead (390) - Des Moines, Washington, USA - DEC 21, 2002
8/08/02: Gorgeous mahogany color (reminded me of the lobby of Portlandís old Benson Hotel) accompanied by thick, rocky head with copious lace...Marvelous! Aroma is medicinal sweet--a little like some of my stronger homebrews...Hops hit in two...make that three waves: once at first sip, then a second that slides under the tongue and along the sides of the mouth, and a third which dominates the back of the palate in the finish. Warm, moderately sweet malt rides shotgun through all phases of the journey...This brew has (predictably) rough edges to it--(itís supposed to, of course!)--but the robustness and complexity of the flavors makes this a rare treat indeed. Re-Rate 11/01/02: On draught...Same wonderful appearance...aroma seemed lighter than bottled version, but hops and brandy-like qualities came through nicely...the bitter qualities of this brew were also more in play this time, which to my palate wasnít quite as balanced as my last visit with this, but again, the differences are so subtle that my ratings are not altered...Terrifically brutal!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JCW (1276) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - DEC 21, 2002
I had this on draught at "Moose Maloneís". I had it out of the bottle too, but I donít remember it tasting as well. Both very malty and also having fair amount of hops. Itís an excellent brew, and you will probably like it!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Pjones6738 (500) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 20, 2002
Nice dark red color with good head. Interesting and difficult to describe aroma. Very citrusy and bitter. Very interesting, and would like to try it again.

BOCCALO (10) - USA - DEC 19, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 28, 2003 almost as good as Bonesbeer,ahem, again this is not as good as bonesbeer, but fuckin close!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
JoeM500 (1906) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - DEC 18, 2002
Big hoppy, biscuity nose. This is a big beer that doesnít go too far. Perfect balance of rich caramel malt and fat, chunky citrusy hops. Very funny label. Really good, but I think I was expecting something more. Maybe itís just all the hype on here about Stones Ales!

GermanBrews76 (679) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - DEC 18, 2002
Lots and lots of tiny bubbles, beautiful creamy soft head. A boat load of hops in this bully. Well roasted with hints of chocolate and nuts too! Damn, the malts & floral notes on the tongue sing in chorus with each other. Long finish, robust brew, solid all around. Iíd love to keep these around for novice freinds.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
jsquire (3687) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - DEC 17, 2002
Deep red-orange color with nice lace. Full floral hop aroma with lots of pineapple and grapefruit in the nose. Nice malt backbone with sweet grapefruit/citrus flavors. It does taste like the Double Bastardís little brother, but the DB is so huge that little brother is still damn good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
aobecksy (700) - Middle of no where, Ohio, USA - DEC 17, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 24, 2003 Honey orange color; honey orange taste. high alcohol content. Very, Very nice

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Sammys (428) - Portland, Maine, USA - DEC 15, 2002
Excellent beer for hop-heads. It was hard to taste this impartially given the amount of hype there is about it, so perhaps someday I should re-rate blindly somehow. In any case, no amount of hype can make crap taste good, so my taste buds werenít lying when I took my first sip and I started grinning. This was awesome! Inital hop flavor (and aroma) exceeding that of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, but less than Two Hearted Ale. Following the hop blast comes subtle maltiness (caramel?) that you have to ílook forí a bit - it might be easily missed behind all the hops. Finishes nice and dry, and for the next half hour your burps will taste fantastic!