overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3705   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
scottyg (79) - Gainesville, Florida, USA - AUG 27, 2002
Now, I was told before I had this beer that it was the "worst beer ever" and I’d have to disagree. Not the best beer ever though, mainly because of it’s aftertaste, but not bad. It is overrated at 4.08 though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
hopnpop (69) - Wexford, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 26, 2002
This is a real interesting brew. Suffice it to say it’s strong! The hops fade on the palate sooner than expected and are quickly replaced with a warming malty, almost nutty aftertaste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - AUG 25, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 18, 2003 Nice hazy brown color with a thick tan head. The aroma and flavor of this beer are all over the place. At first, the aroma is very similar to a Stone IPA. Later, it becomes more sweet (sugary) and malty. The flavor evolved in a similar way with hints of alcohol towards the end. I'm still not sure where I stand on this beer, but I will say that I think the Double Bastard has a more direct, assertive character that best represents the idea of the Arrogant Bastard Ale. The Stone Brewery certainly has challenged the way I think about beer, and what my standards for a great beer are. Awesome!

Re-rate
I drink this brew about once a month or so, and I'm always struck by how tangy it is. I mean, it's sweet, tangy, bitter, and has a bunch of indescribable flavors in there as well. This is perhaps the most tangy beer I've ever had! AWESOME!!!

SimonPatrice (312) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 25, 2002
Floral and nutty aroma and flavour with an aggressive finish. A big beer with a label that defines it well.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Brodie (540) - Blowing Rock, North Carolina, USA - AUG 24, 2002
Loved this beer! ’Strong’ is the best word to describe this beer, and I don’t mean as in alcohol. Strong, complex,and sweet malt flavor combined with a powerful hoppiness that surprisingly balances out this beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
stormking (23) - Cuddy, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 24, 2002
Re-rate same time. (sorry, early in the morning, forgot about the 6-10 buttons)Though I couldn’t drink it every day, this is my favorite beer. First sip led to the comment ’this is the best beer I’ve ever had.’ The beer is an appealing dark amber/brown. Complicated aroma, spiciness, hops and alcohol are apparent from beginning to end. Someone picked up raisins and worchesteshire sauce. There is a lot going on with this beer and at no point is your palate left alone without a flavor to discern. This is an aggressive beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Murphy (1759) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - AUG 22, 2002
Ahh, a strong ale I can appreciate. Great strong taste. 7.2% rocks ’ya. Beautiful color unlike any other. A great beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Panzuriel (1378) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - AUG 18, 2002
Very nice, but as the label says, this one is not for everyone, and it knows it. THe flavor is sharp and bitter, but complex and even as well.

gargoyle32 (8) - Escondido, California, USA - AUG 13, 2002 does not count
One of my all-time favorites. Dark mahogany color. A strong beer with the perfect blend of sweet malt and hops. Flavor is very deliciously unique putting this beer in a category all its own.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Kaya161 (1128) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 11, 2002
Deep amber/maroon colour with a well-formed off-white head. Almost barley wine-like in flavour, but not quite as intense in alcohol content. But in flavour it stacks up.