overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 4013   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably wonít like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 10/20
OutHouseDilemma (70) - Crowley, Texas, USA - JUN 7, 2005
It looks fine and tasty, boy were my eyes wrong. Even the smell is hops. Way too much for my taste. Way too much for people that even like the hop bite. You just think you like it because the masses wonít. I could market some fancy massengill type beer with the same commercial description, and the extreme people would slurp it up because itís extreme/non norm. This hop count would make the top 50 beers on this site be in the bottom 30. My sophistication allowed me to aggressively finish the beer and punch the shit out of the friend that thought I would enjoy it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ELPADRINO (70) - The Woodlands, Texas, USA - NOV 11, 2005
Pours dark ruby with lasting 1/4 inch tan head. Aroma is flowery with strong hops. Taste is strong with hops and cloves. There is a hint of citrus as well. The cloves carry on into the aftertaste. Carbonation is low, so itís easy to swallow a big gulp and appreciate the taste. The alcohol taste is not overpowering and creates a nice warmth going down. This is my first American strong ale, and it is excellent.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
timtheenchanta (70) - Clemson, South Carolina, USA - JUN 4, 2006
Good brown color with a surprisingly medium dark brown head. Tons of thin sticky lacing all the way down the glass. A thin head sitting on top of the beer the whole time beer is in the glass. Sweet toasted malt smell with some alcohol and hops mixed in. Hearty roasted taste with some slight fruitiness to it. Alcohol taste with hints of caramel. Not a lot of hops taste. A twangy sharp finish that leaves me a little disappointed. A great brew. Definitely worth all of the hype it receives.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Ratpatrol1019 (70) - Palm desert, California, USA - JUN 9, 2015
Amber to red pour with nice head and glass lacing. Malt aroma backed up by intense hops. Flavor of complex malts and intense battering hops. Balanced but big balanced intense in everyway.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
duke33 (69) - Eldersburg, Maryland, USA - NOV 10, 2006
On tap...Quite hoppy, as most "strong" ales are. Very strong and malty...the 7.2% alcohol will really sneak up on you, if youíre not careful.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
wj94 (69) - Virginia, USA - DEC 5, 2007
My first Stone beer.....thought it was way too hoppy the first time I drank it (I guess the label was right), but for some reason I came back to it and liked it much more the second time (and third, and fourth, and....). One of the hoppiest beers Iíve had, true to Stoneís style. Deep orange/red color, a bit spicy, but a good balance of malt too. Very good, especially at $4/bomber.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
weusebio (69) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUL 17, 2002
looks, smells and tastes good. an amazing beer. even if it werenít, youíd still want to drink it because itís cool.

ian2000gsxr (69) - USA - MAR 20, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 11, 2005 floral, fruity smell..full taste and dry.. kinda sweet but not overly hop taste really comes thru at the finish.. excellent...dont listen to the warnings.. you will like this. i know i did.. and it got me drunk lol

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
PhysZac (69) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - FEB 15, 2006
22oz bomber. Have to say I love the bottle. Pours dense and intense creamy and lasting head. The thick body has light carbonation barely noticable. Dark brown. Hit with smell of cherry wood (or maybe cherry and wood), cinnamon, floral hops combine with cut grass, maybe a hint of the alcohol. Sip is journey. Long and changing. Hard to grasp. Sweet honey along with a grapey twang. Some sweet fruity presence most like pear leads to bitter cranberry. Also at back is bitter pine bite. Finishes smokey. Was I smoking a cigar? I want another.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
tauruslw33 (69) - Erie, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 3, 2006
I love most of the ales out there, but have to say I was not expecting this. They are right, I donít have the taste or sophistication for this one. Everything was great until I took my first gulp and couldnít drink any more (but I did, of course). In time, the taste stayed the same.....extremely hoppy. Is that bad? I donít think so if you like the hoppy ales.