overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3611   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably wonít like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
swiftsoles (19) - Boone, North Carolina, USA - JUN 22, 2012
Was not expeting the aroma on this one. Smelled very strongly of caramel and toffee, with a slight hint of bitterness, perhaps some citrus tones. Appearance was darker than i expected, almost like a brown ale, about a finger of head. Taste was good, just not what i was expecting. Didnt think it was that "agressive". Had some bourbon flavors, and maybe some hints of oak. Not that bitter to me, maybe my bottle was a bit old.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
atomjack9 (19) - - FEB 22, 2014
strong as advertised. but a bit too hoppy and oaky for me to truly dig it. i mean iíve made my own booze with oak chips before, so Iím not scared by the oak chips, but this one...

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Bufordbrewer (19) - Georgia, USA - APR 19, 2014
Deep amber/caramel look, foamy pale brown head about index finger width that lingers, with good lacing. Bitter, but not harsh aftertaste, which follows a very slight malty first impression. Hoppy like an IPA. Resin aftertaste is the best I can come up with. Good feel in the belly.

JonLaRue (19) - St Louis, Missouri, USA - MAY 20, 2014
Aroma of caramel roasted barley, toasted perfectly by hephaestus himself. Appearance matches the color of the bottle perfectly. Taste is near zenith. Palate is exceptional. Best beer tasted ever.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
onelststnd (19) - Bakersfield, California, USA - NOV 5, 2005
The first thing you notice is nice aroma on th is on. Not too strong, just right. Has a nice taste, not too bitter. Not heavy like some ales can be. All in all, a good but not spectacular ale.

coolshmo (18) - Rancho Cordova, California, USA - DEC 8, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 12, 2006 I had been drinking the Double Bastard for about 6 months(I bought a few cases (: ) and I had started growing tired of the strong smooth flavor of it. I picked up an arrogant bastard one night because it was the best that the store had... I had really forgotten how great AB is. It has a good punch that the Double bastard doesnít have. Itís got a very complex flavor that is very much in your face, and I love the beers that give a good kick to the mouth. I forgot how good this beer was.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hoped (18) - Arizona, USA - MAR 31, 2003
Tasted on 03-22-2003. I definately like the 22oz. bottle. Wow, Nice thick tan head and good lace all the way down. Deep reddish brown color. Very unique fruity odor, like maybe peaches and pears. The flavor, although difficult for me to describe, is similar to the nose. Well balanced malt and hops galore. Great mouthfeel. I cant wait to try the double. This is like a party in a bottle, yet still, I deserve better ; ]

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
mushi (18) - Corvallis, Oregon, USA - JUL 16, 2003
22 oz. Beer like this makes me thankful I live two blocks away from the store that sells it. This ale pours a deep brown with a red tint. Very carbonated (leaves a big head), but that helps the aroma I think. Floral aroma and hops, hops, hops. The bottle is easily the most original and entertaining I've ever seen on a beer, but fortunately it follows through. I like the bitterness and the hops.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
highalphafan (18) - albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - FEB 26, 2004
My favorite "go to" beer. Aroma always jumps out of the bottle to smack me around before the pour. After the pour, its a balance of sweet and hoppy that prevails throughout the entire profile. Stone has found the perfect balance in this beer for "hopheads" who aren't afraid of backbone. Grapefruit may be the best way to describe it from beginning to end. It's just a juicy beer. Sort of like a "session barley wine" if you can imagine that. Buy this beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
GoldenCrown (18) - Ontario, CANADA - APR 3, 2004
A good sweet aroma. The tasting reveals no finesse, only an oppressive presence. The aftertaste is similar to having a metal tongue depressor in your mouth. I'll pass, you arrogant bastard!