overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3871   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably wonít like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
mocarmel (48) - Fortville, Indiana, USA - AUG 4, 2006
Strong citrus aroma. Amber/reddish clear color. Beer was too hoppy for my taste but was well balanced for the catagory. Bitter after taste detracted from the experience.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Beerio (48) - USA - OCT 23, 2007
This shit fuckin rules...and, if drinking it everynight wouldnít turn me into a fat fuck, I would guzzle this shit until my entire life fell apart...son of a whore...maybe I will.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
tarc (47) - New Jersey, USA - JUN 19, 2008
Dark red-Amber color, Medium head, Powerful oaky aroma which continued with the taste. Bitterness and oak over powers the malt. Great name, but not sure Iím in love...

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 1/20
jebb12 (47) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - OCT 22, 2008
Like most hoppy beers this has an excellent aroma. That being said I dont get the allure of this beer? I’m confused by the line on the label about how sophisticated and complicating the flavor is supposed to be? Its about as complicated as ’lets make a run of the mill ale, throw in as many hops as our machine will hold and there you go.’ There’s no balance, just hops!. I’m not a hop head by any means but I can appreciate big hop flavor as long as it has something else to bring that in harmony with the overall taste (see Bells Two Hearted Ale). Oh well, I guess I’m not smart enough to buy Stone beers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
papsdatank (47) - Michigan, USA - JUL 11, 2011
It has a dark reddish-brown collor with a tan head that leaves some beautiful lacing, quite attractive. Itís scent is a compination of piney and somewhat floral hops with a caramel sweetness with some brown sugar and a very slight maple scent. The taste follows the nose with two contradictions of piney floral hops and a caramel malt living together in pure harmony. The beerís palate is quite good itís very smooth, not quite as thick as Iíd like but very good. All in all this is an excellent beer that Iím glad I can get it anytime I want.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
doppelthat (47) - Tampa, Florida, USA - AUG 25, 2011
It smells sweet of caramel malts and a little bit of resiny hop in the back. It pours a dark amber body with a light tan head that leaves behind ridiculous lacing. It tastes somewhat sweet with a bit of a bitter bite in the back. It is smooth almost too smooth for a beer of this size. Overall I love this beer, I love Stone Brewing. This is a great beer that is popular in the craft beer crowd for a reason. I cant really find anything offputting in this beer besides that it will get you too drunk too quick.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
mattcoats (47) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - MAR 25, 2007
I figure I got a bad batch of this beer. I await my next test. Skunky bottle.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jkoch (47) - USA - AUG 18, 2007
Bomber into pint glass. Deep brownish red color with a nice tan head that leaves lacing all the way down the glass. Aroma is intense grapefruit from the Chinook hops. Taste is carmel malt at first, and then Iím quickly hit with the aggressive hop flavors - grapefruit and pineapple. Mouthfeel and carbonation are perfect. This is one of my favorite beers. I have a bottle just about every week.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerdrinkingking (47) - Colorado, USA - MAR 13, 2002
good beer except for tasting so hoppy and it also has a great name

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Mephistefales (47) - USA - MAR 13, 2004
This interesting brew finishes much better than it starts. At 7.2% it is fairly potent. At first the maltiness whacked me over the head, but as I finished it, the flavor seemed more balanced. Overall, I was much happier with it near the end than the beginning.