overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3788   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably wonít like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
rlhubley99 (36) - Austin, Texas, USA - OCT 6, 2002
Ok, I shared a big 22 of this yesterday, and liked it. I found it to be quite complex, which is a fancy way of saying not very "easy to drink". It was quite hoppy i thought. I will need to try this one a couple more times I think, but it will probably not be a favorite of mine. Yet, we shall see.....

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
malika (36) - SWITZERLAND - DEC 5, 2004
Cloudy brown color. Strong aroma of hop, fragrant, and roasted malt. Really bitter taste, some caramel and some sweetness. The final is very bitter but not enough fragrant. Good, but I donít go crazy...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
TonyBanannas (36) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 10, 2006
One of the first beers that turned me from the major markets. Sadly I havenít had the chance to do a serious rating until now. I drink it regularly, but either laziness, or just the desire to enjoy the brew without thought has stopped me. This goes for a few other brews, including Stones IPA. Any ways, bottle, pours a deep brownish amber with a thin off white head, nice lace. Aroma is floral with hops, Carmel, and citrus? Taste is mildly hoppy, though well balanced. Finish is bitter as it should be. This is a brew I could drink over and over, and I do. Any one who enjoys craft brews should at least try it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Homerlikebeer (36) - Petaluma, California, USA - AUG 1, 2008
This one tasted great but it was during a day of tubing on the eel river and I was already about 7 beers into the day. But god it was nice and hoppy just the way a beer should be

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
dekeq (36) - Long Valley, New Jersey, USA - NOV 2, 2009
This is a pretty good looking ale. It pours out nice and transparent with a golden/reddish color. The golden head was very full as well - even in my glass. One good whiff and you get a nice hint of hops. There was also a slight bit of fruit in it as well. I couldnít really detect what fruit it was but it seemed like a neutral fruit like apples. When you taste it, the frothy head is the first flavor to hit you with a followup of hops. In the middle, you get a hint of barley and it finishes off with the hops again. I didnít get the taste of fruit like I initially smelled. The aftertaste of the brew is pretty alcoholic, though. I did not perceive the texture as very smooth. The flow of the textures and tastes didnít really transition that well and I thought it was a pretty generic beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Beerygeek (36) - NEW ZEALAND - JUN 12, 2011
All around, this is a good beer. A lovely deep brown/red, backed by a subtle aroma. Whilst not as bitter and hoppy as I enjoy, the taste is well balanced, with malts and hops sharing the centre stage is harmony.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
pmarren144 (36) - Auburn, New York, USA - JUN 22, 2012
Love this stuff! Pours dark, has a tan head. Just the right bitterness. Almost a coffee-caramel taste to it to me. Pours nice & thick in the glass! Laces the glass nicely. Bought a growler of this, I always need to taste beer on tap over packaged. Definitely getting this again soon!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
mcb (36) - - JUL 9, 2012
UPDATED: JUL 10, 2012 Hmmm.......smooth, but bitter. On tap at Blue 5. Previously avoided this beer.....now im confused as to why!....It?s 2nd to Ruination.....but a decent brew. Hail Stone!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DogfishFred (36) - - JUL 12, 2012
Stone doesnít hold back on their pride for their own beer. Itís funny to read their labels and check out the gargoyles.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
senjiro (35) - Wheat Ridge, Colorado, USA - SEP 27, 2002
like a punch in the face. terrific. probably the most complex ale iíve had. hints of citrus and ... smoke in the nose, a dark red-amber color with perfect carbonation. nice hoppy aftertaste, with a full on initial torrent of flavor. i really liked this beer! I brought this back from a recent trip to SanFrancisco. Found it in a corner-grocer and walked around town all day with it shoved in a brown liquor bag, looking like a hobo. however, it turns out, to be completely worth the humiliation of procuring it.