overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 4061   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hoppyhampy (73) - , California, USA - JAN 14, 2011
220z bottle poured into a tulip glass. Enjoy by date is 2/14/11. Pours an opaque reddish brown with three fingers of frothy foam. Good lacing. Nose is a bit subtle. Syrupy sweet roasted malt with a bit of bite from the hops. Full bodied with low carbonation. Drinks like a breast. Not too rich or syrupy in texture though. Nice, resiny hops cut the malty sweetness to make it more drinkable. Nice roasted, almost nutty flavors play on the palate before a wave of hop bitterness cuts through all that to the point that you think your palate might be ruined for the next sip. Bright, bitter hops linger on the finish. Every time I have this I am reminded how good it is. This is the definition of a classic microbrew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Sine90 (73) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - FEB 1, 2015
caramel, bread, resin, amber, clear, medium bitterness, light sweetness, medium body, slick feel, long finish,

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Blastomorpha (73) - - SEP 25, 2016
Very inviting with its dark red amber color and the tan creamy head. The aroma is full of sweet malts and dried red berries, not hoppy as expected. Way better and rich in the nose than in mouth though. Well balanced and drinkable, the bitter is strong but not too aggressive or overpowering.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Lacho (72) - USA - MAY 22, 2016
I’m doing this one from memory, since I just realized I have not reviewed this awesome beer. It pours amber with a lot of foam, forward aromas of malt and toast. First taste is powerful, like a kick in the mouth, this is not a floral IPA, but a bitter, balanced beer that should not be permitted to warm. I have discovered that beers like this are much better tasted in an insulated glass like a YETI, where it will be kept cold till the end. This is one of my favourite beers.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
jjw2000 (72) - USA - APR 28, 2003
Pours a beautiful red color with a nice light tan head. Mild hoppy aroma. Strong grapefruit hoppy flavor dominates from the beginning. Very bitter. Malt detectable underneath hops. Finishes bitter also.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
IDogg (72) - Houston, Texas, USA - DEC 30, 2003
Wow, this beer lives up to its name and prevents me from being a true professional beer drinker. I personally do not enjoy it but it does have a lot of quality and depth like they claim. I give it nice props for the appearance which is unique. I also prefer on tap over bottle, but you have to know a good bar to find it on tap. Bitter aftertaste could be toned down, i do not need my beer slapping me in my mouth after I drink it. Still a good heavy beer to check out

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Tyler*Durden (72) - Calgary, Alberta, CANADA - JAN 5, 2007
Great beer. Pours a generous light brown head, complementing a dark copper body. Citrus aromas and a strong hoppy/grapefruit taste. Has a good bitter finish. Definitely a recommend.

penguinjive7 (72) - Buffalo, New York, USA - NOV 20, 2008
Pours a nice mahogany color with not much of a head. What little head it had dissipates quickly and leaves little lacing. Strong grapefruity smell dominates. The initial blast of flavor is of strong grapefruit followed by hops. The malts show up very briefly but are indeed present. The carbonation is a bit strong for my taste but works well with the tangy grapefruit notes. Overall it is a fine example of the style. I could not have more than one in a sitting that is for sure. It is complex in many ways and is a must have for American Strong Ale lovers. I am more of an Imperial Stout man myself, but can definitely appreciate what this brew has to offer. Reviewed on: 01-31-2007

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
MikeMoriendi (72) - Boynton Beach, USA - MAR 19, 2009
I love how this laces a glass. Always perfect. I love the big bold flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
areyouinning (72) - North Carolina, USA - SEP 9, 2009
Deep amber brown color with ruby hints and a small tan head with moderate lacing. Malty aroma with hints of wood/smoke and some hops. Well attenuated mouthfeel with hop bitterness and some alcohol detectable.