overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3823   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
ahole (38) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 25, 2005
HOP! In a word, HOP. Did I mention the hoppy hopiness. By the way, there is a lot of hop to this hop hop hop hop hopyhop. Lastly, you’ll notice the undertones of hop in this glass of liquified hops.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jarndyce (38) - Florida, USA - JAN 18, 2008
Poured darker then I thought. Not as big a head either. Lots of malt. No citrus odor for me. Lots of coffee odor. Very delicious all-around.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Zbong (38) - Lansing, Michigan, USA - JUL 26, 2008
Stone always has quality products and this is their baby. The description gave me a laugh because I bet they are right 95% of the time. This brew is outstanding. Bitter, almost tastes like a strong IPA with the hops. Easy to drink and I’m glad I can get this year round.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
djc920 (38) - New Jersey, USA - JUL 23, 2010
This is good. Really good. Arrogant Bastard is loaded with flavor... bitter, caramel, roasty. Did I mention I like Stone? Yeah Stone makes great beer, this is no exception.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Nocardia (38) - Little Rock, Arkansas, USA - JUN 25, 2012
Bomber, poured in a shaker. Pours a deep, dark amber color with some definite ruby-red shining through. Small bubbles race up to a large, frothy head of about 3cm of beige. The head lingers and leaves thick lacing on the glass; a thin film of head remains throughout and leaves a ring to the bottom of the glass. I love the nose of this beer. The hops are by far the dominant force with bright citrusy smells of grapefruit and maybe a touch of orange along with resiny pine. There right behind it, is a backbone of caramel malt, very sweet and definitely very present. I loved taking deep wafts of this one. The taste was hops forward; more citrus and pine note, like on the nose, and blooming on your palate. As the hops develop, there is a good balance with the sweet malts that keep the hops ever so slightly in check. The mouthfeel is almost creamy, but not quite, maybe a touch oily with a long bitter finish. Overall, I have had this beer (along with many others) before I found this site, so I waited till I got it again to give it justice. I think I had it before I had really developed my palate, because I had not remembered this one as good as I found it today. I think it is another example of a beer that makes use of very aggressive hops with good balance with the malt. Very tasty and I will buy it everytime I see it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jdavisesq (38) - - NOV 26, 2012
On tap at Duke's Alehouse Crystal Lake, Illinois in tulip glass. Poured thick red bordering on brown with dense two finger head that quickly faded and left a lot of lacing. Aroma is malty, sweet, American hops grassy. Big dose of sweet malt with equally big bitterness throughout and some alcohol heat. "Balanced" by both malt and hop over the top. Mouthfeel is medium thick and low carbonation. Overall a red ale gone wild but sweetness slightly cloying due to low carb off tap. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
mdindy (38) - Weymouth, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 15, 2014
very dark red pour with foamy head. aroma mostly of hops. powerful malty taste heavily hopped. strong boozy under tones with some carmal and pine flavors. thick flavor and slightly harsh, strong but great beer ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MrRain00 (37) - Columbus, Indiana, USA - DEC 25, 2001
Despite the label, I wasn’t ready for the taste. It’s really quite good once you’ve grown accustomed to the aggressive flavour. I really enjoyed this beer, even if my wife said it was the worst piss she’d ever had!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
homebrewrules99 (37) - portsmouth, Virginia, USA - APR 19, 2002
The bottle made me think of my best feind and what is inside is even better. Strong good taste made me glade that i am able to enjoy such a fine beer. life is not the same now

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
guinness4life (37) - USA - JAN 18, 2003
Good, but not great ale. Lacks head, but still probably one of the best american beers out there. For a strong beer it is a good example of the style. It's nicely bitter with a crisp aftertaste and somewhat hoppy. I've tasted numerous ales similar to this. It doesn't stack up to belgian strong ales but is good in its own right. The alcohol manages to be filling without being overpowering and can't be tasted. It's a tad on the (over)pricey side and difficult to acquire outside CA. On an unrelated note : if you collect beer bottles this is a must as the bottle is hysterical. In short a good beer, but it doesn't reinvent the wheel.