overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3973   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
trevman7 (58) - Houston, Texas, USA - SEP 23, 2010
bottle poured into tulip glass.hoppy apricot aroma which was pleasing. Head wasnt very large, On my second glass I actually poured pretty aggresively to give it a larger. A ruddy amber in appearance. For the taste is starts out pretty hoppy and developed a sort of sweet taste with an extremely bitter aftertaste. I would say that it is clean in h sense that it kept my mouth tingling. Overall I would say that this is a good beer but not a great beer. I felt like the complexities and the pleasures in the taste were somewhat diminished by the discomfort caused by the bitterness. I think the description on the back of the beer is put there so that people will try to ignore that discomfort so they can believe they are sophisticated.

JonLaRue (58) - St Louis, Missouri, USA - MAY 20, 2014
Aroma of caramel roasted barley, toasted perfectly by hephaestus himself. Appearance matches the color of the bottle perfectly. Taste is near zenith. Palate is exceptional. Best beer tasted ever.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
mlane76 (58) - Albany, Georgia, USA - JUN 28, 2014
22 oz. Bottle from local liquor store....Drinkable but heavy lemon peel taste....love the aroma but again....not a fan of lemon peel....love lemons, not the peel

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Lacho (58) - USA - MAY 22, 2016
I’m doing this one from memory, since I just realized I have not reviewed this awesome beer. It pours amber with a lot of foam, forward aromas of malt and toast. First taste is powerful, like a kick in the mouth, this is not a floral IPA, but a bitter, balanced beer that should not be permitted to warm. I have discovered that beers like this are much better tasted in an insulated glass like a YETI, where it will be kept cold till the end. This is one of my favourite beers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BitterPoet (57) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JUL 6, 2004
Thanks to my friend, Peter, who brought this to me this weekend. Man, a Clubber Lang right hook of a beer. Great balance of malt and hop with plenty of fire behind both. I am convinced if this was local and offered cask...I would be in serious trouble. Fantastic beer with a cigar on my deck reading Tolstoy....yeah.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Zimmo (57) - Siloam Springs, Arkansas, USA - NOV 14, 2006
UPDATED: NOV 19, 2006 22 oz bottle. Pours red with a tan head. Nice floral and hops aroma. Very strong hops bite, with long lasting hoppy aftertaste. A good beer with a strong bite and a whole lot of flavor. The taste just lingers a little long for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
glider (57) - Shrub Oak, New York, USA - JUN 21, 2007
Oh what a brew ! Both draft and 22 oz bottle. Bottle pours an almost opaque, leathery brown with an almost solid head - extreme lacing. You got some citrus fragrance there, maybe grapefruit, definite grain + malts smell. Tasted really hoppy with a great blend of a little bitterness and grain + malt: a keeper. I prefer Ruination, but this is still excellent.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
PsionSaint (57) - Colorado, USA - SEP 23, 2007
Excellent beer. Strong aroma of beer (not too hoppy or malty), poured smoothly with creamy head, deep amber color. Initial taste is quite bitter but nutty and slightly citrus flavors develop quickly. Clever bottle too. Wish it was more available on tap around here since I drink a fair bit of it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
BanjoDude (57) - Kingsport, Tennessee, USA - FEB 25, 2009
Nice balance of hops and roasty malts with a hint of spicy sweet aftertaste. Served in Trappist glass, poured dark amber with a medium light-tan head, lacing was definitely noticeable. Nice ale that is not too sweet. Full of body and character with a strong finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 16/20
cjl6 (57) - Rochester, New York, USA - APR 18, 2010
MMM now this is what I go for when I want something real strong and real good to go with dinner. One glass and I was instantly a fanboy. Don’t even think about buying it, just buy it.