overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3930   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
drmatt (51) - THE LOU, Missouri, USA - SEP 8, 2006
this tastes like a freshly squeezed grapefruit added to malt. big and citrusy, i like that though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
mingo1968 (51) - phila, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 9, 2008
resin, brown, cloudy, rocky head, medium bitterness, medium sourness, full body, thick feel, average carbonation, bitter, a very nice pour i think this a very clean beer with a clean taste

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dashiell22 (51) - Massachusetts, USA - MAY 25, 2010
UPDATED: MAY 29, 2010 Bought the 22 oz. bottle on the strength of the gargoyle and the name. "Arrogant Bastard" is incredibly apt.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
tambrico (50) - New York, USA - AUG 12, 2013
This was the first craft beer I ever tried, which was about 3 years ago, and I remember thinking it tasted like tree bark. I couldn’t get past a few sips from the bottle. Now that I’m older I feel as if I can fully appreciate this beast. Hoppy aroma with some pine scents. When you drink it, it starts nice and smooth and sweet with said pine notes and some minor lemony and grapefruity flavors as well, but then you begin to notice the carbonation and the flavor profile quickly shifts to bitter and remains that way for the finish. It’s this quick flavor shift quality that makes this beer really complex and interesting to me. I love the appearance of this beer. Hold it up to a light source. It’s blood red with a nice thick head. Great beer that’s fun to drink at parties.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
hoptimus (50) - Grand Island, New York, USA - APR 20, 2008
22 oz. bomber. Pours a magnificent reddish-amber with a thick beige head. Perhaps my favorite beer appearance-wise. It smells sweet, but the hops are present too. The nose also has a "burnt" character to it, and the malt also shows itself in the odor. If the aroma was just a bit more potent, it would be perfect. The flavor is extremely floral with loads of delicious hops along with raisin and pear. Some caramel sweetness is also present. Light to medium bodied with a little carbonation. Nice bitter, warming finish. This is actually one of the first craft beers I had tried a while back, and it really took me by surprise at the time I tried it. I was skeptical and didn’t really like it as the label suggested I wouldn’t. I was coming off of Molson Canadian as my favorite, and that probably explained the not-so-pleasant palate assault. However, I gave some other craft beers a try, got hooked, came back to this beast and now it is definitely one of my favorites. I buy it time and time agian. It is also the beer that sparked my love affair with the Stone brewery. Thank goodness I did not give up on real beer...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BrownDogBeer (50) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAR 29, 2009
Draft Pours a medium dark brown with a tan head. Aroma of citrus and malt with a little bit of hops. Medium body.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Periander (50) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - FEB 26, 2007
Deep red color, sweet aroma. Outstanding malt and mouthfeel balanced by a well-balanced, not overbearing, hoppiness. Surprisingly drinkable for such a flavorful brew. An instant favorite.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
VVilliam (50) - USA - APR 21, 2007
Bottled from Total Wine. Beautiful blood red with large tan head. Smells of rich malt and hints of nut. Strong taste of burnt malts to a perfect amount of strong hops. You need to be in the mood for a strong ale, though, as it packs quite a punch.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
jamidwyer99 (49) - Oregon, USA - JUL 4, 2000
Are you moving your lips?

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
themorningzoo (49) - Fairbanks, USA - MAR 12, 2002
Sorry.. too much bite, too much bitter, too much hoppy taste.. sorry guys just wasn’t impressed!