overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3914   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Mathis (48) - KBH K, DENMARK - MAY 23, 2004
Jesus, it is a bastard! The bitter taste stays in your mouth forever! But all though it seems so hardcore, it is actually a good beer too! It is beautiful and has a nuanced taste of herbes (besides the huge amount of hops and malt!) A special beer, nice to try, but I wouldn’t drink it more than a few times!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ghorsche (48) - Berkeley, California, USA - FEB 14, 2006
22oz bomber. Poured deep clear amber-brown with a HUGE, lasting tan head--wasn’t able to fit nearly the whole bottle into an ABA footed glass. Very enticing aroma: moderately hoppy with some definite malt character as well. Flavor starts off with deceptive sweet bready malt and rapidly gives way to resinous hops and distinct alcohol. The flavor profile seems more distinct to my young palate in small sips (some prune, more balanced malt character, faint vinous notes). Finish is long, moderately dry and quite bitter. I love bitterness in a strong ale, but this finish strikes me as bitter to the exclusion of other flavors and sensations. Very substantial body on the palate; texture is a bit oily but not in a bad way.

Perhaps, as the label suggests, I lack the sophistication to appreciate this beer, but I thought the aroma and palate deserved a more balanced flavor or at least a more interesting hop profile.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
mocarmel (48) - Fortville, Indiana, USA - AUG 4, 2006
Strong citrus aroma. Amber/reddish clear color. Beer was too hoppy for my taste but was well balanced for the catagory. Bitter after taste detracted from the experience.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
dannyboydwp (48) - San Antonio, Texas, USA - FEB 20, 2004
I'm not a fan of REALLY hoppy beers. And this definately qualifies! If you like hops, this is your beer! (Not mine!)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Beerio (48) - USA - OCT 23, 2007
This shit fuckin rules...and, if drinking it everynight wouldn’t turn me into a fat fuck, I would guzzle this shit until my entire life fell apart...son of a whore...maybe I will.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
tarc (47) - New Jersey, USA - JUN 19, 2008
Dark red-Amber color, Medium head, Powerful oaky aroma which continued with the taste. Bitterness and oak over powers the malt. Great name, but not sure I’m in love...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Mephistefales (47) - USA - MAR 13, 2004
This interesting brew finishes much better than it starts. At 7.2% it is fairly potent. At first the maltiness whacked me over the head, but as I finished it, the flavor seemed more balanced. Overall, I was much happier with it near the end than the beginning.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
mattcoats (47) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - MAR 25, 2007
I figure I got a bad batch of this beer. I await my next test. Skunky bottle.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jkoch (47) - USA - AUG 18, 2007
Bomber into pint glass. Deep brownish red color with a nice tan head that leaves lacing all the way down the glass. Aroma is intense grapefruit from the Chinook hops. Taste is carmel malt at first, and then I’m quickly hit with the aggressive hop flavors - grapefruit and pineapple. Mouthfeel and carbonation are perfect. This is one of my favorite beers. I have a bottle just about every week.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerdrinkingking (47) - Colorado, USA - MAR 13, 2002
good beer except for tasting so hoppy and it also has a great name