overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3930   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
gallaghermurph (49) - Washington DC, USA - MAR 23, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 27, 2007 I don’t know, maybe I’m not worthy? Poured a very deep cloudy brown nutty fresh pressed apple juice. Head was two finger frothy dark tan that stuck around about four minutes before leaving a thin tan film. Did leave a very nice lacing. Aroma was caramel, dark fruit, and a nutty coffee. Flavor was initially intensly malty, and it really threw me off. Below the malt were lots of hops with lots of citrus, some sweet dark fruits, and maybe even a very sweet maple syrup. There was a tinge of spiciness, but not too pronounced. I really thought the malts were a little too much, and made me work to get to the underlying flavors, but then again, maybe that’s the point. As it warmed, I must say, the hoppy flavors, especially a deep orange came out. Finished this thing an hour ago and its still on the back of my tounge. Palate is a light cream/syrup with moderate carbonation. There’s no question that this beer’s a beast, but it really is one I’m going to have to revisit to get a true understanding of. Definitly a good brew. I’m just not sure what to make of it. Revisit 2/26/07: My ability to appreciate this one has increased significantly. While the taste has remained unchanged, I’ve gotta say I am picking up much more of an initial hop onslaught, but followed immidtaly by the sweeter flavors named above, with hops finishing things off and lingering for quite some time.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ruyehara88 (49) - Killeen, USA - OCT 12, 2009
Floral and pine on aroma. Pours a bit thick. Pretty hefty, frothy head. Deep orange/red color. Taste is quite something- complex, raisins, a bit of chocolate(?)(or am I confusing it with something else?) spicy. Aftertaste lingers and is of bitterness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SM_Jenkins (48) - Missouri, USA - JUL 3, 2010
raisins - yes, I wrote "raisins"; harsh; bitter; malt bomb; slight floral hop presence - it’s more about the bitter sweet

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
mocarmel (48) - Fortville, Indiana, USA - AUG 4, 2006
Strong citrus aroma. Amber/reddish clear color. Beer was too hoppy for my taste but was well balanced for the catagory. Bitter after taste detracted from the experience.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Beerio (48) - USA - OCT 23, 2007
This shit fuckin rules...and, if drinking it everynight wouldn’t turn me into a fat fuck, I would guzzle this shit until my entire life fell apart...son of a whore...maybe I will.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
dannyboydwp (48) - San Antonio, Texas, USA - FEB 20, 2004
I'm not a fan of REALLY hoppy beers. And this definately qualifies! If you like hops, this is your beer! (Not mine!)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Mathis (48) - KBH K, DENMARK - MAY 23, 2004
Jesus, it is a bastard! The bitter taste stays in your mouth forever! But all though it seems so hardcore, it is actually a good beer too! It is beautiful and has a nuanced taste of herbes (besides the huge amount of hops and malt!) A special beer, nice to try, but I wouldn’t drink it more than a few times!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ghorsche (48) - Berkeley, California, USA - FEB 14, 2006
22oz bomber. Poured deep clear amber-brown with a HUGE, lasting tan head--wasn’t able to fit nearly the whole bottle into an ABA footed glass. Very enticing aroma: moderately hoppy with some definite malt character as well. Flavor starts off with deceptive sweet bready malt and rapidly gives way to resinous hops and distinct alcohol. The flavor profile seems more distinct to my young palate in small sips (some prune, more balanced malt character, faint vinous notes). Finish is long, moderately dry and quite bitter. I love bitterness in a strong ale, but this finish strikes me as bitter to the exclusion of other flavors and sensations. Very substantial body on the palate; texture is a bit oily but not in a bad way.

Perhaps, as the label suggests, I lack the sophistication to appreciate this beer, but I thought the aroma and palate deserved a more balanced flavor or at least a more interesting hop profile.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Mephistefales (47) - USA - MAR 13, 2004
This interesting brew finishes much better than it starts. At 7.2% it is fairly potent. At first the maltiness whacked me over the head, but as I finished it, the flavor seemed more balanced. Overall, I was much happier with it near the end than the beginning.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerdrinkingking (47) - Colorado, USA - MAR 13, 2002
good beer except for tasting so hoppy and it also has a great name