Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3837   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MrRain00 (37) - Columbus, Indiana, USA - DEC 25, 2001
Despite the label, I wasn’t ready for the taste. It’s really quite good once you’ve grown accustomed to the aggressive flavour. I really enjoyed this beer, even if my wife said it was the worst piss she’d ever had!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
homebrewrules99 (37) - portsmouth, Virginia, USA - APR 19, 2002
The bottle made me think of my best feind and what is inside is even better. Strong good taste made me glade that i am able to enjoy such a fine beer. life is not the same now

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
guinness4life (37) - USA - JAN 18, 2003
Good, but not great ale. Lacks head, but still probably one of the best american beers out there. For a strong beer it is a good example of the style. It's nicely bitter with a crisp aftertaste and somewhat hoppy. I've tasted numerous ales similar to this. It doesn't stack up to belgian strong ales but is good in its own right. The alcohol manages to be filling without being overpowering and can't be tasted. It's a tad on the (over)pricey side and difficult to acquire outside CA. On an unrelated note : if you collect beer bottles this is a must as the bottle is hysterical. In short a good beer, but it doesn't reinvent the wheel.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
btwhite7 (37) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - FEB 22, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 27, 2004 What a beautiful pour. Dark mahogany color, average tan head. Perfect aroma of hops and citrus, makes my mouth water. First impression of taste, Wow. Very aggressive. Certainly stronger than the aroma. Not for the faint. A true beer lover's beer. Which means 99.9% of the general beer drinking population could only handle 1-2 of these babies. Amazingly smooth aftertaste considering the aggressiveness. Very good beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Sam10 (37) - Olympia, Washington, USA - SEP 10, 2005
Very dark red with a nice head that stays to the bitter end. At first seemed bitter but that does not last long. Wanted to savor this one take my time. But was to good kept take pull after pull until it was gone. And it went fast!! Very good beer rich in flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
direwolf600 (37) - Philadlephia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 30, 2006
Very nice, without question, but Stone makes many many better brews. A good place to start with this brewery though.

SamAdams777 (37) - Abilene or Stephenville, Texas, USA - NOV 24, 2007
This beer has a strong balvarian noble hops flavor. Its pretty much the basis of the flavor, so despite it being ale, it taste a bit like a stronger sam adams boston lager. I love the hops, so this beer is really good to me. If you dont like powerful hops flavor, then the warning on the label will probably be correct.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
TonyBanannas (36) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 10, 2006
One of the first beers that turned me from the major markets. Sadly I haven’t had the chance to do a serious rating until now. I drink it regularly, but either laziness, or just the desire to enjoy the brew without thought has stopped me. This goes for a few other brews, including Stones IPA. Any ways, bottle, pours a deep brownish amber with a thin off white head, nice lace. Aroma is floral with hops, Carmel, and citrus? Taste is mildly hoppy, though well balanced. Finish is bitter as it should be. This is a brew I could drink over and over, and I do. Any one who enjoys craft brews should at least try it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
malika (36) - SWITZERLAND - DEC 5, 2004
Cloudy brown color. Strong aroma of hop, fragrant, and roasted malt. Really bitter taste, some caramel and some sweetness. The final is very bitter but not enough fragrant. Good, but I don’t go crazy...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
rlhubley99 (36) - Austin, Texas, USA - OCT 6, 2002
Ok, I shared a big 22 of this yesterday, and liked it. I found it to be quite complex, which is a fancy way of saying not very "easy to drink". It was quite hoppy i thought. I will need to try this one a couple more times I think, but it will probably not be a favorite of mine. Yet, we shall see.....