overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3565   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Spiesy (2338) - Sydney, Greater London, AUSTRALIA - JAN 5, 2004
Draught at Sunset Bar and Grill, Boston, MA.</br> Amber with a fine lacy off-white head. Big fruity aroma, grapefruit. Big bitter start with plenty of flavour but not what I like.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
bitter (1136) - Henderson, Nevada, USA - JAN 22, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 25, 2006 on tap: alright alright...everyone get over this beer already, deep carmel brown color with a airy head that disipated, nice hop character....with some alcohol taste. its a good beer but not a great beer. ive tasted better pale ale-strong ale types in my time. but since everyone thinks the name is real cool we’ll all drink it whenever we can. everyone just relax with the ’stone’ thowing!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
WABeerChick (25) - Seattle, Washington, USA - FEB 24, 2004
I dig this beer mostly for its color. The taste is really bold. I bought a 22 oz bottle and it took me awhile to drink it. As it warmed up towards the end of the bottle, the malts came though and I got this cool coffee-like subdued flavor. I've had this beer before and I'll certainly have it again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Grandpa (327) - Verona, New York, USA - JUN 8, 2004
A deep amber brew with a tight, long lasting head. It has a strong, robust flavor followed by a bitter hop taste. The bitterness had a tinch of sourness to it. The label tells me that I probably wont like it. I did like it, not much but a little. I had to clear my palate with some bland yellow beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
biz82 (1328) - austin, Texas, USA - SEP 29, 2004
Smells of American hops and caramel with a slight milk aroma. Clear red color with a beige head that I wish all ales had. Beautiful lacing. Big tangy and bitter flavor. Somewhat malty with hints of smoke. Finishes a little tart. To me the taste is murky with no dominant feature but not quite balanced either. It has what I would describe as a "homebrew" flavor. Good but over rated. Their reverse marketing get a more fanatical following than direct.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Drinker101 (54) - East Ridge, Tennessee, USA - OCT 20, 2004
Nice murky appearance with a nice head. Aroma was very nutty. The first sip was somewhat decieving. I tasted nothing but hops and was quite dissappointed. Then once I had a few sips I could taste the biter nutty flavors that are in this beer. Was pleased all the way around.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
eboats (1082) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - NOV 7, 2004
I guess I am indeed not worthy. It was solid, but not a top beer in my mind. Real dark orange with a off-white head with great lacing. Aroma was of sweet grassy hops. This one has a good hop character complimented by a caramel malt. The caramel taste is noticable right away, and then fades to a floral/grassy hop finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
davidCC (130) - New York, USA - DEC 20, 2004
I wasn’t really a huge fan of this beer, was expecting a lot more out of it i guess. Had a great dark amber color but the taste never quite felt right. Maybe it was the high alcohol content, but it just didn’t sit over well with my tongue. Guess "i’m not worthy"

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
KarmanGhia (276) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JUN 25, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 13, 2005 This pours a deep ruby/brown with a lasting fine-bubbled head. There’s a certain medicinal quality followed by a grapefruit-ish middle, and a piney dryness in the tail. The medicinal part and the prevalent alcohol are unpleasant. The last 2/3 of this beer is exceptional.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BruinBeer (6) - Los Angeles, California, USA - SEP 9, 2005 does not count
Dude, I wanted to like this beer. Maybe I’m not a serious enough beer drinker because this seemed horribly bitter to me and I really had to man up in order to drink the rest of the bottle. I gave it a relatively high score because the flavor is so complex but I wont be buying this again, at least for a while. I recommend you try it at least once.