overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3914   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Tdevil (13) - Feetood, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 15, 2009
12 pack of bombers. Poured dark brown, almost reminded me of a stout. Had a serious bite, and the abv had me sweating by the time I finished the bottle. This is one that I will share with a friend next time I crack one open.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
poisoneddwarf (2206) - Rathdrum, Idaho, USA - SEP 6, 2009
22 oz bottle. Copper colored, smells of raisins. Pours an awesome head that retains itself throughout. "This is an aggressive brew"...you know the rest. Is there anything more badass than this beer? Though I love the attitude, I can think of many greater brews. Still, this beer is a pioneer in the Strong Ale category, and will always be world-class. Nobody messes with this beer, and for good reason.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
areyouinning (72) - North Carolina, USA - SEP 9, 2009
Deep amber brown color with ruby hints and a small tan head with moderate lacing. Malty aroma with hints of wood/smoke and some hops. Well attenuated mouthfeel with hop bitterness and some alcohol detectable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
matthewjk (1039) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 10, 2009
UPDATED: JAN 13, 2011 Re-rated (1/14/11) Poured from 22oz bombsaway - Quite hoppy brew. I like the hop selection. Perhaps a little too hoppy. Malts are a bit buried, but pleasant. Overall a good brew that will not receive my top marks.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
lweiberg (136) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - SEP 19, 2009
Had two pints at the Falling Rock Tap House in downtown Denver. Reminded me of another ale that I have really enjoyed but I can’t remember which one (Bell’s Hopslam?). I’m not into paying big money for single bottles of beer but if you are this would certainly be worth trying.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
killjoy966 (677) - Washington, USA - FEB 6, 2010
22 oz. bottle from a friend. I’ve had this many times now and just have not got around to rating it. This beer played a big part in my interest in craft brews. Smells citrus-hoppy and carmelly with a big hop push on first sip. Just finished off an FBC Abominable and this tastes a tad watery in comparison (not how I traditionally remember it). Anyway, this is a great ale for the hop-minded and one of my go-tos at the local pub.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
tminella (27) - Columbia, SC, South Carolina, USA - FEB 14, 2010
Dark amber with a thin white head. Oh baby are there some hops in this thing! The aroma smacks you right in the nose. Citrus predominates in the aroma. The taste has hops in the front, hops in the middle, and hops in the back, but suddenly I get just a hint of malty sweetness in the aftertaste. Certainly lives up to its labeling as an “aggressive beer.” Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and fizzy. Very long finish. Definitely will delight hop-heads, but I could’ve used a bit more balance.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
basspro76 (426) - New York, USA - FEB 22, 2010
Drank from the tap at Murphy’s Pub (R.I.P.) in Cortland, NY, youch this beer is bitter! From start to finish this beer packs a vicious bite with an undertone of brown sugar/caramel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
arkurzynski (2145) - Combined Locks, Wisconsin, USA - APR 3, 2010
UPDATED: FEB 28, 2015 Pours beautiful amber brown color, almost glowing. Light head that collapses. Aroma is light hops, dark fruit, some sweetness/caramel. Roasted malts up front with dry hoppy flavor on the end, Some dark fruit, alcohol, wood, sweetness. Smooth with a lingering bitterness. This is very complex as stated. Medium to full palate. Excellent. Reality re-rate: first time having this 5 years. What a difference good beer makes. This is a solid hoppy red ale. Middle road at best. -7

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
thirdeye11 (5954) - Dallas, Texas, USA - APR 13, 2010
(Bottle) rich orange amber, light tan head and great lacing. Nose of big citrus fruits, caramel, huge aromatic hops. Taste of very bitter citrus oils, this is not balanced in the least. Some malt backbone but very little. This is all bitter hops. Creamy and oily mouthfeel buy extremely bitter finish.