overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3582   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Ernest (6198) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JUN 13, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 1, 2003 Head is initially small, frothy, off-white, mostly diminishing. Body is clear dark amber. Aroma is heavily hoppy (grapefruit, resin), moderately malty (caramel), with notes of apricot and alcohol. Flavor is moderately sweet, moderately acidic, moderately bitter. Finish is lightly sweet, moderately acidic, heavily bitter. Medium to full body, velvety texture, lively carbonation, lightly astringent, lightly alcoholic. Too much grapefruit juice for me, but I can see why hopheads like it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
daalamar (405) - new albany, Indiana, USA - JUL 12, 2002
I wasn’t ready for this one. Medium brown in color, with a bit of fizziness in a week head. First taste is an explosion in your mouth that can be unplesant if you aren’t prepared for it. Strong hop with snappy citris, coupled with a dark maltiness. Truly a taste of it’s own.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Spiesy (2338) - Sydney, Greater London, AUSTRALIA - JAN 5, 2004
Draught at Sunset Bar and Grill, Boston, MA.</br> Amber with a fine lacy off-white head. Big fruity aroma, grapefruit. Big bitter start with plenty of flavour but not what I like.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
bitter (1136) - Henderson, Nevada, USA - JAN 22, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 25, 2006 on tap: alright alright...everyone get over this beer already, deep carmel brown color with a airy head that disipated, nice hop character....with some alcohol taste. its a good beer but not a great beer. ive tasted better pale ale-strong ale types in my time. but since everyone thinks the name is real cool we’ll all drink it whenever we can. everyone just relax with the ’stone’ thowing!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
WABeerChick (25) - Seattle, Washington, USA - FEB 24, 2004
I dig this beer mostly for its color. The taste is really bold. I bought a 22 oz bottle and it took me awhile to drink it. As it warmed up towards the end of the bottle, the malts came though and I got this cool coffee-like subdued flavor. I've had this beer before and I'll certainly have it again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
GoldenCrown (18) - Ontario, CANADA - APR 3, 2004
A good sweet aroma. The tasting reveals no finesse, only an oppressive presence. The aftertaste is similar to having a metal tongue depressor in your mouth. I'll pass, you arrogant bastard!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
mortimer (8) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 20, 2004 does not count
The ale’s appearance was clear and dark crimson brown with a thin head. It had a hoppy, but sweet scent to it. The taste was overwhelmed by hops. To me it was very bitter and all of the hops overpowered some of the other less prevalent sweet flavors. The mouthfeel wasn’t anything special, but it was fine. This wouldn’t be my first choice for this style of beer. Although drinkable, I wouldn’t drink much of this at one time. Overall I was a little disappointed; I didn’t feel it lived up to its arrogant label.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Grandpa (327) - Verona, New York, USA - JUN 8, 2004
A deep amber brew with a tight, long lasting head. It has a strong, robust flavor followed by a bitter hop taste. The bitterness had a tinch of sourness to it. The label tells me that I probably wont like it. I did like it, not much but a little. I had to clear my palate with some bland yellow beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
biz82 (1328) - austin, Texas, USA - SEP 29, 2004
Smells of American hops and caramel with a slight milk aroma. Clear red color with a beige head that I wish all ales had. Beautiful lacing. Big tangy and bitter flavor. Somewhat malty with hints of smoke. Finishes a little tart. To me the taste is murky with no dominant feature but not quite balanced either. It has what I would describe as a "homebrew" flavor. Good but over rated. Their reverse marketing get a more fanatical following than direct.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Drinker101 (54) - East Ridge, Tennessee, USA - OCT 20, 2004
Nice murky appearance with a nice head. Aroma was very nutty. The first sip was somewhat decieving. I tasted nothing but hops and was quite dissappointed. Then once I had a few sips I could taste the biter nutty flavors that are in this beer. Was pleased all the way around.