overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3575   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably wonít like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Rotorhead87 (119) - Temple, Texas, USA - JUN 9, 2007
Dark color with a medium sized light brown head. A bit sweet with heavy hops flavor. I am not usually one for very hoppy beers so I canít relate to others of similar style, but it seems to be a very good beer.

T2Tool (352) - Murfreesboro, Tennessee, USA - JUN 23, 2007
Had on draft. Had a herbal hop and malted yeast smell. Taste was very spicy with a grassy, hoppy finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
T3llLAllDE (100) - USA - JUL 12, 2007
this is the first beer had by the stone brew co. and it was pretty damn good. not for everyone tho. strong taste very hopped and bitter. good head and color. once you try it you cant help wanting it again and again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Whelk (123) - Sheffield, South Yorkshire, ENGLAND - JUL 14, 2007
Bottle. My expectations were very high for this beer, but unfortunately I felt a little let down. Itís not that it was bad, but it wasnít as phenomenal as I was led to believe. Anyway, it poured a deep ruby red/brown with a nice thick tan head. Aroma was strong malt, roasty, some hoppy/citrus notes. It was quite bitter with definite citrus hoppiness, but there was a very firm, sweet maltiness. Some alcohol and oiliness. There was something up front, the very first taste that hit me, but I couldnít place it. Iíd drink it again, but I wasnít blown away.

BlackForestCO (976) - Aurora, Colorado, USA - AUG 28, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 6, 2008 Poured from a bomber. Poured a deep amber/copper color with an inch thick off-white head. Aroma of hops, some fruit, and spice. Initial hit of malt with some fruit undertones lead to a stiff helping of piney hops that give it a crisp. dry finish. I canít wait to get my hands on the oaked version.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
BelgianBeerGal (3134) - Panama City, Florida, USA - SEP 11, 2007
Bottled. Rather complex and enjoyable overall. Maybe some dusty, coffee tones. I agree with other raters that this beer grows on you because at first I was not sure what to expect.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
robertjm (770) - Albany, California, USA - SEP 17, 2007
Dark brown color, with hints of ruby red too. Nice thick head that doesnít fall quickly when poured. Clean aroma. Not hoppy, not malty. Just there. Hops come through in aftertaste of beer. Alcohol in initial flavors, with warming in the throat after drinking it. Iíve had this before (didnít rate it though) and it seems to me I remember it being more balanced, with a malty finish. Perhops that was just my imagination? Yes, there are a whole bunch of hops there, but the flavor isnít anything Iíd necessarily go out of my way to get on a regular basis.

beachbum25 (1085) - Powellville, Maryland, USA - OCT 7, 2007
On tap-Dark Amber color w/a moderate tan head. Hoppy up front flavor w/a fair amount of bitterness. Had some carbonation to it as well. This is a big beer, not a smooth, easy drinker. Gotta take it easy w/this one. Had a long smoked finish to it.. Good after dinner/nightcap beer, very liquorlike, but I wasnít as crazy @ it as some folks seem to be. A little too "out there" for me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
ajm (1065) - Los Angeles, California, USA - NOV 6, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 5, 2008 Often the (sorta) saving grace of a mediocre tap list. Iíve seen it called a Barleywine and an American Strong Ale; both imply what you get: an ale that is hearty without being thick, imaginative mostly for its characteristic Stone smoothness.

BrewmeisterEd (61) - USA - DEC 8, 2007
Poured into a wide glass - color of RC Cola - smells a bit like pine sap - decent head. Sweet with an appropriate bitterness following. Alcoholic taste comes through - you can tell itís got a bit of kick, and I drank mine cold. Closer to a pale ale than I expected with the hoppiness shining through and through. Good though...