overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 4052   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
SudsMcDuff (8084) - .....Manchester United.........., Texas, USA - NOV 16, 2006
Great solid brew that looks very good,and also nice head. The taste is also very pleasing but I liked it better when it was ice cold then drinking it slowlyto let some of the flavors come out more.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
RCL (2030) - Waltham, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 5, 2007
What this beer lacks in finesse, it partly makes up for in power. Strong hop bitterness is offset by some maltiness, but it is not very sweet. Not bad.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Juelze (1144) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 12, 2007
I’ve always wanted to try this and thanks to Ross my wish has come to true. Poured into my Chimay glass it almost looks like a fine trappist ale with it’s rich dark amber color and off-white creamy head. The aroma is of earthy resinous hops and a big abundance of caramel malt. What the aroma lacks the taste brings. This is quite the complex lil’ bastard that I behold in my glass. The taste is of earthy hops, caramel malt and in the finish notes of dark fruit and a bit of candied sugar visit this bastard. The carbonation is moderate and allows for a creamy easy drinking brew. Slightly dry in the finish with an alcohol warmth as the beer comes to temperature.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
sausage86 (27) - USA - JAN 17, 2007
bottle with a very intimidating name. I found this in a God-forgotten liquor store in central Utah (don’t ask why). This beer was featured on Diggnation, so I was very excited to try it (kinda; Kevin Rose hated this). First sip was like a punch in the crotch; clearly, something has gone wrong in this brew. However, the subsequent tests proved that I was wrong. The flavor is like nothing else; its sweet and malty, and it took me a couple of ounces to figure it out. Very complex flavor, each sip is a separate experience. Not very carbonated. A very unique beer. High alcohol content, I was buzzed after drinking the whole bottle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
TaktikMTL (7034) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 15, 2007
Verre de dégustation, provenant d’un fût, dégusté au Atlantic City Beer Festival 2007 (Atlantic City, NJ). Arôme: Odeur de caramel et d’houblons fruités. Apparence: La couleur est ambrée brunâtre. Présence d’un mince col beige avec une fine dentelle sur le verre. Saveur: Goût de caramel et de tabac. Durée moyenne de l’arrière goût. Palette: Le corps est moyen avec une texture légèrement huileuse. Moyenne effervescence en bouche. Présence de caramel en arrière goût. (Rating #904)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
MacDaddyOJake (274) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - MAR 23, 2007
Aggressively hopped and very floral. Deep reddish brown color that caught me by suprise. Asertive taste that is, well, arrogant.... Rather bitter up front but finished with an onslaught of hoppy flavor that lasts for a while. This is the strongest beer I have ever sampled without the word "imperial" anywhere in its description. Not bad, but I have put this one off for a while because of its reputation and it is really just a decent beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
wcampbell (721) - Clemson, South Carolina, USA - APR 17, 2007
Very similar to Stone IPA, so it was very good. However, I liked the IPA better. Hoppy taste that is very complex and enjoyable. The flavor did not get boring. Light, carbonated mouthfeel.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
VVilliam (50) - USA - APR 21, 2007
Bottled from Total Wine. Beautiful blood red with large tan head. Smells of rich malt and hints of nut. Strong taste of burnt malts to a perfect amount of strong hops. You need to be in the mood for a strong ale, though, as it packs quite a punch.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
dra19 (89) - holland, Michigan, USA - MAY 8, 2007
A good beer, though I was expecting more from it. Very hoppy yet pretty smooth. It’s a good beer with lots of hops!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
frankenkitty (2006) - Oak Lawn, Illinois, USA - MAY 9, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 22, 2007 Pours a deep vermillion with moderate carbonation, a slight haze and capped with a full, tan head. Heavily malted nose with an alcohol presence that can’t be covered. Pepper, pine and tart citrus show in both aroma and flavor. Peaty and dry for the most part, with a heavy palate.

Agressive? Indeed. Sophisticated? Not really... it is what it is... a strong ale with heavy-handed PNWs, high IBUs and thick malts to back them up. I’d call it a DIPA. The "arrogance" implied thru its flavor-text was probably considered a sweeeeeeeet marketing technique, but it annoyed the f*ck out of me. I’ll drink this if it’s offered but I’m not going to seek it out... I’m "not worthy", don’t you know. If I truly want an arrogant bastard, I’ll call my buddy Gene.

<font size=-4>A gift from my good friend Mike out in Philly.</font>