overall
Brewed by Asahi Breweries
Style: Dunkel/Tmavý
Tokyo, Japan

RATINGS: 403   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.03   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Bottle & can: Pasteurised.
Ingredients: Dark roasted malt; hops; rice; maize; Asahi’s pure cultured yeast.
Japan’s favourite dark beer. Brewed in Osaka, Asahi Black is made from three different roasted malts. This gives it a rich, nutty flavour and makes it incredibly smooth-drinking. Unlike other, more bitter dark beers and stouts, it’s brewed in a process called bottom fermentation, which gives it a subtle, sweet edge and smooth 5% abv.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
prosqtor (408) - Appleton, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 7, 2007
I like this beer, and wish it were more widely available. A good representation of a Schwarzbier, with low carbonation and medium body. Taste of roasted malts and a slightly smoky aftertaste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
johndoughty (4001) - cheslyn hay, West Midlands, ENGLAND - JUL 15, 2007
Black and slightly smoked.No carbonation and poured with a medium head.Medium body and a slightly roasted aftertaste. Impressive but not outstanding.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
lb4lb (2548) - Austin, Texas, USA - JUN 18, 2007
Poured Black with about an inch of short lived light beige head. Had a malty smell, and a bit of a metallic odor which dissipated as the beer warmed slightly. Taste was of a dark, sweet, roasty char flavor, but not harshly so. Had good a carbonation level with a small, nice lingering dark aftertaste. Overall the body was somewhat thin, easy to drink, and I can see this being a very drinkable and delicate dark beer to go with japanese food. I liked this much more than the only other Schwarzbier I’ve had too.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Stopherbomber (111) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - MAY 21, 2007
one of the best dark beers i have had, went well with the japanese food. rich flavour and smooth to drink.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
kwoeltje (2232) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - MAY 20, 2007
(bottle) Black with almost no head. Faint malt aroma. Flavor is dark malt, slightly sweet. No coffee, some chocolate in the flavor.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Rukasu (7) - USA - APR 23, 2007 does not count
The first time I had this beer, I really enjoyed it. The second time I had it, I could only drink half of the 600ml bottle. I don’t know what happened. I seem to remember the first to be less sweet and with a much stronger malty nuttiness. The second time, it was just over-poweringly sweet and was not unlike drinking a coke with a couple drops of Jack. And the export labeling here in China states in English that it is a "hormone" beer. I’m not sure what that means, or what kind of hormones are present. My voice hasn’t gotten deeper, I don’t see any difference in my facial hair, nor have I grown breasts, so I guess it is safe. Drink up! But on taste alone, I think I might steer clear in the future.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
larsga (6240) - Oslo, NORWAY - APR 11, 2007
Medium light brown head quickly shrinks into a thin film. Deep dark red translucent body with carbonation. Sweet roasty licorice aroma with perfumy earthy notes. Taste is sweetish licorice with perfumy roasty notes. Quite good. Not really entirely Bavarian, but so what. (0.334l bottle.)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
asedzie (610) - San Francisco, California, USA - MAR 31, 2007
UPDATED: APR 11, 2007 Good malty aroma. A little bit of fruitness and sweet toffee also detected as it warms. Flavor is roasted malt, with a spicy hint of yeast. Coffee and carmel funkiness along with some vinousness. My only reservation is that the mouthfeel is a little too light. Some gentle bitterness in the finish. Excellent. Way underrated, probably because it is an asian macro-brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
haukur (1309) - Reykjavik, ICELAND - MAR 30, 2007
bottle at Thorvaldsen Bar Reykjavík : smokey and coffey in the aroma, with some spices and cocoa. Taste is very smooth with a nice smokey (again) finish. Cocoa, Coffee, roast and nuts all in the palate. Surprisingly complex and nice. The most malty and smokey schwarzbier I´ve had so far.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Theis (13537) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - MAR 28, 2007
Bottle (334 ml) in HCMC - drinking it at the hotel room. "Clear" black - big offwhite head. Roasted, berries, lots of coffee, somw sweetness, licorice, some hops, dry. Dry burned finish. Almost like a stout - smooth. Very nice.