Atlanta Laughing Skull Bohemian Pilsener (2008 and earlier)

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 35   MEAN: 2.36/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.42   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Lager brewed in the bohemian pilsner style.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
DarkElf (3033) - La Jolla, California, USA - FEB 18, 2005
(12 oz bottle: Obtained in trade with goldtwins, thanks Larry!) This bottle opened with a loud pop and poured with so much foam, it took a full 20 minutes to pour. This is not an overly flavorful pilsner, and not one of the better pilsners out there, but it’s not as wretch-inducing as I was led to believe. It’s lightly hoppy and bitter, but doesn’t seem to exhibit much of the maltiness normally found in a Czech pilsner. Medicinal? Yeah, maybe, but having been sick with the flu for the last week, the medicine I was taking tasted much worse. Very carbonated palate, but with enough body so that I wouldn’t call it totally watery. The aroma is lightly hoppy, but kind of vague in it’s characteristics. Medium golden color, very hazy in appearance, but the army of carbonation bubbles rising quickly to the surface is still visible. The huge, foamy, off-white head never settles below an inch and a half and leaves a dense drapery of thick foam on the glass, plus some massive unattractive globs.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Shag (2585) - Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA - FEB 11, 2005
What is that weird underlying taste I get in all these guys beers? Well this one poured a cloudy yellow with a moldy citrus aroma. The flavor is very citrusy and somewhat bitter. Not as bad as I had feared to be honest. Overall its decent enough but not great.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Trappist (284) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - NOV 20, 2004
I agree with splink48. This was decent and somewhat hoppy, but more work could go into this mediocre pilsener and could turn out a good pilsener. Mildly dry and smooth in finish, hints of citrus?

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
splink48 (35) - Fayetteville, Georgia, USA - NOV 8, 2004
This is a very interesting brew. Although I support the local brewers here, this needs some refinement. It is a very rough textured beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
RegularDaddy (4) - Auburn, Alabama, USA - SEP 20, 2004 does not count
My all-time favorite beer. I don’t know if it’s widely available outside of Atlanta, but I grab a sixer from Greene’s on Ponce DeLeon every time I’m in town. I can only describe the flavor as a light lager with some hints of chocolate, but it’s so much more complex than that. I’m sorry, this review doesn’t do the taste justice, I just wanted to emphasize how infinitely excellent this beer is. Get it fresh, get it now.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Hoss (607) - Florida, USA - APR 29, 2004
Pours a regular yellow with some off flavors. I think this beer has no redeeming value other than a clever label. Please beware

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
bu11zeye (11933) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - APR 5, 2004
UPDATED: APR 29, 2004 (Bottle) Pours a pale yellow with a thin white head. Flavor of wheat, honey, butter, and citrus. Not a particularly appealing beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
kumite56 (469) - Cordova, Tennessee, USA - DEC 20, 2003
Small and thin white head on a yellow hazy body. Much particulate matter suspended therin. Lemony taste although significant malty backbone present. It just seamed confused to me. Not well balanced and a strange aftertaste was present.

1.2
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
Aurelius (4065) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - MAY 27, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 15, 2004 WTF is going on in this beer? Some kind of wierd petri dish, phenolic, rancid butter thing going on in the nose and the flavor. This was a pain to drink. All in all, I'd be hard pressed to tell you whether I wanted a 6 of this or 3 40's of malt liquor. Note to self: NEVER overindulge on this one, because you'll taste it forever. Rerate, downward: After sampling this beer, I was spitting the vile bandaid flavor for hours afterwards. This is unfit for human consumption. It is unfit for marinade. Do not apply externally. It might be useful as slug bait. Re-re-rate, again downward: It's 6 days later, and just looking over my ratings for the past week, I cringed when I saw this entry.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
PorterPounder (5376) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - MAY 25, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 8, 2003 Rerate - 6/8/03 - After drinking 3 of the 6 of this and trying to give it a chance because of it being from a small brewer etc - I just have to lower the rating - this beer just ain't right! Funky phenolic taste just overwhelms everything. Original rating - 2.6 - This beer looks good - but everything else is pretty dissapointing. Has a nice thick dark golden pour with a milky white head. Sort of a medicinal - band-aid like aroma to it. Flavor is off - almost tastes skunked - but I see that everyone else states the same thing - so it must supposed to be that way! Flavor -like the aroma - reminds me of band -aids. It grows on you after a while - but not a real enjoyable beer.