Atlanta Laughing Skull Bohemian Pilsener (2008 and earlier)

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 35   MEAN: 2.36/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.42   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Lager brewed in the bohemian pilsner style.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
RegularDaddy (4) - Auburn, Alabama, USA - SEP 20, 2004 does not count
My all-time favorite beer. I don’t know if it’s widely available outside of Atlanta, but I grab a sixer from Greene’s on Ponce DeLeon every time I’m in town. I can only describe the flavor as a light lager with some hints of chocolate, but it’s so much more complex than that. I’m sorry, this review doesn’t do the taste justice, I just wanted to emphasize how infinitely excellent this beer is. Get it fresh, get it now.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
berlot99 (17) - USA - SEP 24, 2001
I wasn’t too impressed with this. To be this beer was quite hoppy for a Pilsner and left that oily aftertaste. It was okay but I couldn’t drink too many without getting tired of it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
thejman454 (56) - cumming, Georgia, USA - FEB 7, 2002
This has a very unique taste, I can;t quite put my finger on what it is. The aftertaste is a killer though. A word of warning don’t let this beer get hot or you will be drinking foam.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
aracauna (2994) - Georgia, USA - MAY 27, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 27, 2005 <P>Rerate 5/25/05: Yes, Atlanta Brewing has really turned their beer around. The problems that so many people including myself were noticing a year ago are gone now. The Peachtree Pale is a solid beer as is the Red Brick Ale. The Red Brick Bock is better than solid and reaches into really good. This loses the off flavors of previous years and is now simply a decent pils. There’s a dry malty body and the hops are noticeable leaving a clean bitterness and slightly grassy aroma. Actually wouldn’t make for a bad lawn mower beer.</P> <P>5/27/04: Not overly impressed. All of the Atlanta Brewing Company offerings that I’ve tried have this weird taste to them that I can’t place my finger on. It’s a bit unpleasant. This beer isn’t too bad though. Really light.</P>

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
GABeerMan (48) - HOSCHTON, Georgia, USA - AUG 16, 2002
Slight malt aroma, cloudy golden appearance. Light tasting, slight malt, decent beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - MAR 24, 2002
Bottled, all the way from the Deep South thanks to BelgianHomeBrew. Starts out rather dark for a Pils, clean and clear and honey-amber. Aroma, whoa there’s a lot of sugar there; very caramel-ly but not a lot of hops. I like it, but seems odd for the style, again. Flavor again very malty, but the hops do come on in the end, and boy do they come on! Finishes pretty bitter, but with very little carbonation. Not really ’refreshing’ as a pils should be. This beer had me confused; is it a Pils or a Bock? A lager or and IPA? I don’t know; not bad, not good, but interesting.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
robpet (98) - Stone Mountain, Georgia, USA - APR 29, 2005
Nice fresh aroma. Avarage looking pour with average size and quality head. Nice flavor, but the hops flavor was much more American than Bohemian. Nice palate with a good bitter finish. I’d have it again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
21iceman40 (1731) - vienna, West Virginia, USA - JUN 30, 2005
Had this one out of the bottle at the halftime cafe. It was actually pretty good contrary to all the shit shag was talkin about ABC. It was an orange hinting on red color with a full malty aroma. I tasted some definite hotness in this, kinda like a red dog, but way better.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
TheRavishingOne (45) - Cumming, Georgia, USA - FEB 5, 2002
Very unique taste that is great, until it leaves your mouth. That is when the bitterness hits. It tends to foam up badly unless it is almost cold enough to freeze. Not a bad beer, but not a great one either.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
LilKem (1213) - Marietta, Ohio, USA - JUL 18, 2005
a pretty good pilsener. pretty hoppy for a pilsener, and kind of malty. bitter on the finish and a pretty refreshing surprise.