overall

RATINGS: 720   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.93/5   IBU: 12   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
A robust Porter made with chocolate malt. This malt Beverage is brewed with coffee beans with Natural Flavor added (Vanilla Extract), and we balance it with U.S. Golding Hops. Our award winning brew is sure to please! Open it!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
beernovice39 (3270) - Montana, USA - SEP 29, 2009
Pours black with tiny tan head. Smell of vanilla rours through over everything else. Did not expect much so I was surprised at how tasty this beer is....I think we have it a tad underated.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
WVHouseofBeer (1005) - Florida, USA - SEP 26, 2009
Atwater’s is a perfect company to brew this beer, because well, its full of water. A beer that carries a lengthy name ingredient deck brings little flavor to the table. This beer should be so much more, but falls flat, like its taste.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
italarican (1539) - Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA - SEP 10, 2009
Pours brown with a surprisingly fizzy, very active off-white head. The constant bubbling of the head was a bit weird. Aroma is surprisingly lager-esque of grains, rice wine vinegar, and malt with a hint of coffee in the background. The flavor has more coffee with notes of caramel syrup, wheat grains, and rice. Slight bitter chocolate finish. A bit watery and weak. Tastes like someone spilled a bit of coffee porter into a full glass of lager. This is weird.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Derek881 (1236) - Denver, Colorado, USA - SEP 9, 2009
I sampled this beer on draft at Max’s Taphouse in Baltimore. It had a dark black color with a small, dark tan head with good cling and little retention. The aroma was a nice coffee scent with a touch of vanilla, some caramel malt and a bit of grain. It had a good coffee taste with a sweet vanilla flavor and some bitterness. The beer was quite wet and watery with low carbonation and a thinner, less full feel.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
zdk (1854) - New York, New York, USA - AUG 29, 2009
bottle: I think is way under rated here. Pours clear dark with tan head. Arouma of chocolate and coffee, and I thought the vanilla came through just fine. At first I didn’t get all the flavors out of this one, but only because the bartender served it at refrigerator temp (!) When it warmed up a bit, I got some great chocolate, coffee and vanilla bean flavors. I don’t even like coffee much and I thought this was a mighty fine brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
thedm (5492) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - AUG 29, 2009
This bottled brew from a bottle shop poured a medium sized head of foamy finely sized light brown colored bubbles that were mostly lasting and left behind a semi-opaque typically carbonated dark ruby red brown colored body and an excellent lacing. The aroma was dark malt licorice and semi-sweet. The semi-thick mouth feel was weakly tingly at the start and at the finish. The flavor contained notes of mildly vinous dark malt and burnt malt. A decent one that I would consider buying again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
DrnkMcDermott (2988) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - AUG 25, 2009
Beer #30 at GTMW, 8-8-09. Brown, but not hazy, I can easily see my fingers through the glass. Nice thick porter type head, light tan color. Not too much smell at this moment. Taste is light in vanilla, that’s a good thing, then good basic porter, but not a lot of coffee apparent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
DJMonarch (9177) - Northwich, Cheshire, ENGLAND - AUG 24, 2009
From the Jug at the GABF Colorado Convention Center, Denver 10/10/2008 Vanilla aroma. Small beige head. Black smooth on the palate and fruity with a slightly dry finish.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
MrPickles (438) - Waunakee, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 22, 2009
Hmmm... Not getting what I thought I would out of this one. Pours a deep brown more than a black or even dark pour. Aroma is weak at best. I had to really get in there for anything and I still missed most of the vanilla and all the "java". Taste is an awful, but there is not much porter and even less of the vanilla or coffee I was hoping for. Seems almost to be watered down and to have too much carbonation, I like the idea, just not the outcome. Seems a bit of a mess.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
sarahmarie (265) - Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 21, 2009
Vanilla Java Porter?? Yea it was somewhat sweet on the lips with a slight taste of vanilla, only if your really searching for it. Besides that I failed to detect any chocolate or java flavors. Its a bit flat and light for a porter. Taste like a boring bock. Really disappointing.