overall

RATINGS: 671   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.91   IBU: 12   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
A robust Porter made with chocolate malt. This malt Beverage is brewed with coffee beans with Natural Flavor added (Vanilla Extract), and we balance it with U.S. Golding Hops. Our award winning brew is sure to please! Open it!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Dragonfly1 (498) - Colorado, USA - APR 13, 2008
Peoria BeerFest. I enjoyed this a bit more than previous reviewers. Jet black pour, minimal head, and served a bit too cold at first. After warming up, it was a touch sweet, but overall it was an enjoyable mix of coffee and vanilla. More of a dessert beer, not something you could have more than one at a time. Not much in the way of any dark, roasted malt flavors like a typical porter, but still interesting.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
esjaygee (3903) - Oak Creek, Wisconsin, USA - APR 8, 2008
Black with tan frothy slowly diminishing head. Aroma of over-roasted malts and chocolate. Overly carbonated. Tastes of chocolate with both tart and acidic qualities in the finish that lingers as a bad bitter mix that screams experiment gone wrong.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Guerde (1200) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - APR 5, 2008
(bottle) Pours black with an off-white head. Aroma was offensive to say the least, with green olive taking over the entire aroma. Upon warming there is a strong scent of raisin and sugar, almost port like, but it’s still unpleasant. Further warming yields a little more roast. Taste is a little bit of roasted malt, with a short finish of vanilla and roast. Thin mouthfeel, borderline watery. Really this is just a mess of a beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
sthlm (1240) - Minnesota, USA - APR 5, 2008
Let this beer sit for a really long time before drinking.

[Bottle] Pours fairly dark brown with tan head. Aroma is very unpleasant when poured cold--plastic and, as Guerde pointed out, green olive. As it warmed it improved, with some vanilla, chocolate and coffee becoming noticeable. Taste is sour, then coffee and a little vanilla. Thin mouthfeel. Long finish...although that’s not necessarily a good thing here. I found this to be a fairly unpleasant mess that was borderline offensively bad. ...After letting this sit for about an hour and a half (because I was working on something else and hadn’t decided on if I wanted to pour it out or drink it) it actually became fairly drinkable. After letting it sit for this long I would probably give it in the high 2 range. I will average it out since a beer should not have to sit for nearly two hours before it becomes drinkable.

1.2
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
tubbypgh (7) - mckees rocks, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 1, 2008 does not count
maybe it was my mistake to try this beer before a meal but the taste was just unsatisfactory I would recommend this beer only in a one time basis for someone looking to try something different

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
1000Routers (3) - St. Clair Shores, Michigan, USA - MAR 27, 2008 does not count
The bottle opened with a pleasing phhht, and poured with a less than a finger of head, but it was nice tight little bubbles of light brow, the beer was very dark. The air was instantly full of the aroma of coffee and prorter. With my nose over the glass I can smell very strong fresh coffee and a sweetness like a frozen cappuccino. The vanilla is a nice balance to the coffee aroma. The first taste was sweet cold fresh coffee again the vanilla was a nice balance that I was not expecting, followed by good porter. Smooth and dark in my mouth, coating my entire mouth with rich flavor, the CO2 gave the a good scrubbing as I swallowed and leaving me with a thirst for another sip. The aroma of the second sip was much more vanilla and porter. As I drank more aromas and flavors were presented like dark fruit. I could not pick out the hops but the bitterness let me know it was there just enough to give some balance. This is a sweet beer, my lips were almost sticky sweet after each sip.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Ughsmash (7248) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 17, 2008
Bottled. Poured clear iced tea brown with a huge cap of tan head. The aroma found sweet artificial vanilla and lighter roasted coffee beans.. warmth brought out an undercurrent of sour fruit skins that were actually intriguing. The flavor was mostly of wet day-old coffee grounds with sour fruit skins laced throughout.. vanilla gave a mild sweetness and a touch more of an impression on the finish.. although the sourness probably wasn’t supposed to be there, it worked ok, and got this beer a couple extra 0.1s from me. An odd slick feel on the palate with light roast and what turned out to be an almost complimentary sourness.. tacky, grainy, unpleasant coffee finish. Drinkable, but not very good.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
pumpkinheart (63) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - MAR 13, 2008
12 oz. bottle in English pint glass. Seeing how I 1) Typically dislike Porter-style beers, 2} Dislike vanilla, and 3) Dislike coffee, my hopes were quite low for this beer. Poured deep, rich brown. Almost black. One finger light brown head, aroma was full of sweet coffee. Initial flavor was very sweet, not at all betraying the flavors I feared. Frankly, that was disturbing considering that those flavors were supposed to be there. Subsequent sips, however, got more and more coffee, plus the licorice (also not a favorite) that WeeHeavySD mentions. All in all, the vanilla never happened. I suppose that Atwater hit their mark to a degree, but I don’t know that it was done well or worth hitting in the first place.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 10/20
WeeHeavySD (3359) - San Diego (Hillcrest), Oregon, USA - MAR 9, 2008
12oz bottle via trade a ways back. Shared wtih my GF Cyn. Pours black witha 1 finger tan head. Nose is some what coffee laden. Taste is sweet, and licoricey and way way way too sweet. Somewhat of a putrid taste. Yuk.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
37steel (186) - St. Charles, Illinois, USA - MAR 3, 2008
12 oz bottle. Almost black with a thin head. Lots of roastiness in the nose. Coffee and chocolate flavors with just a tiny hint of vanilla.