overall

RATINGS: 622   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.89   IBU: 12   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
A robust Porter made with chocolate malt. This malt Beverage is brewed with coffee beans with Natural Flavor added (Vanilla Extract), and we balance it with U.S. Golding Hops. Our award winning brew is sure to please! Open it!

Lefty431 (5) - - DEC 16, 2012 does not count
Good beer! Smooth going down with a great finish. Vanilla is a solid flavor. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

NicolasGalli (20) - - APR 21, 2014
frothy, white foam, fair lacing, muddy/cloudy, dark black appearance. chocolate, coffee, toasty malt notes. Musty yeast aromas. medium sweetness and lightly bitter. full body, thick feel, creamy, flat, long finish. My favorite porter so far in my drinking career (not very long). Love that it is made in Detroit and I think it trumps the Breckenridge Vanilla Porter (don’t worry Breck you have better skiing).

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
askeeve (1) - - JUN 27, 2012 does not count
Caramel, chocolate, coffee, nuts, toast, vanilla. I always look forward to ordering this beer at the one place near me I’ve ever seen it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
gman413 (1) - Illinois, USA - JUL 30, 2012 does not count
I was intrigued by the name and very pleasantly surprised by the taste. You have to be open minded about the notion of vanilla in your brew but you won’t be disappointed!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
MatthewHinz (11) - Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA - SEP 25, 2012
I am unsure why this has such a low rating. I dont like a lot of dark beers but this one I would happily add to my top 10. If you are a fan of the complexity of a dark coffee or a dark brew, you can’t wrong with this one.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
cvanantw (1) - Hudsonville, Michigan, USA - OCT 13, 2006 does not count
Very unique! Very good! I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I wasn’t sure about this beer, but it was well worth the gamble. It is quite smooth with a terrific aroma. A very different type of porter. I stumbled upon the Atwater brewery in Detroit where this porter is brewed and had a few pints from the tap. Outstanding!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
SALUD (6) - Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 28, 2012 does not count
Had in bottle. Wish I had another. Drink alone, not with food. Coffee taste with vanilla finish.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
awautlet (45) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 8, 2008
Coffee in color with almost no head that fades to a ring around the glass. Aroma is like a punch in the face. It hits you with vanilla, malt, coffe, and hints of toffee. On the palate there is a rich coffe flavor which mingles nicely with the vanilla and malt. There is definately a ton of flavor but it doesnt feel super heavy. Lingering finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
TJackHole (83) - Alabama, USA - JUL 3, 2012
This beer is complex and tasty. The deep rich flavors and distinct coffee finish makes this one of our favorite beers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
uvajed (171) - Ravenna, Ohio, USA - JUL 23, 2012
How have I not rated this before mid-2012? I have not had it in years, but Atwater’s Vanilla Java Porter is the best tasting substance I have ever put in my mouth! It may not be the best representative of its style, but OMG it tastes good. Aroma of dark chocolate. Flavors include dark chocolate, vanilla and dark roast coffee. This might be the most perfect anything in the history of things! Too bad I only had access to it for a year or two, in variety 12-packs. With Yuengling coming to Ohio, my interstate beer runs have ceased, but maybe I need to head Northwest for one now?