Avery 14er ESB

Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 602   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.24/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Named for the 54 Colorado peaks which tower over 14,000 feet in elevation, our session beer is a spectacular copper hued beauty. The treatment of our water to simulate English hard water and the blending of several specialty malts and hops produce a delicate balance between aromatic maltiness and herbal hops.
OG: 1.048
IBU’s: 37

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
HighGravity (926) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - JUN 6, 2002
Good head retention. The beer looks very good in my glass. The bouquet is straight-forward (malt driven). Medium body wrapped with a nice light hop bitterness. Balanced finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Kathy (241) - Washington DC, USA - APR 21, 2002
I had some trouble remembering this was an ESB as I worked my way through a glass. It is very drinkable, pleasant, balanced, but it lacked the kick I was hoping it would have. It’s a neutral beer to have on hand for social gatherings that intermingle beer snobs and plain old beer drinkers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
argo0 (12501) - Washington DC, USA - APR 21, 2002
Very nice bitter. Crisp hoppy aroma, and clean hoppy flavor. Very smooth, with a solid bitter aftertaste. Good head atop a light copper liquid.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JMerritt (1902) - Macomb, Illinois, USA - APR 20, 2002
I was pleasantly surprised by this brew. Not as bitter as I expected it to be. Decent head with a fair amount of lacing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Terminus (3407) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - MAR 31, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 11, 2004 ReRate-this was one of my origional ratings on this site, so i thought i would revisit this brew. pours and orange /light copper hue-one of those in-between hues that you cant pinpoint. very small white head that was gone by the time i wrote this sentence. Mostly biscuty malts and earthy hops on the aroma. some pineyness coming through. The hops are all english and very bitter, but there isnot much malt backbone as the aroma shows. If there were more malts, this would be a world class ESB. I just love the hop profile on this one. Thats why i kept the rating as it is. I really enjoyed this beer-im supprised that it has so low of ratings. Crisp hops(cascade or columbus?) and pleasantly bitter! I need to get some more of this. I am very impressed by avery's products. I LOVE the hog heaven :P

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - MAR 17, 2002
an average ESB. had nice color and body. Underhopped for the style. Overall, it was smooth and had a crispness to it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
VA Homebrewer (525) - Portsmouth, Virginia, USA - MAR 12, 2002
Fairly unimpressive. Decent floral nose with the malt buried deep in the background. Body is thin and lacks any developed malt characteristic beyond caramel and light toffee. Below average hop flavor, but finishes fairly bitter and dry. Caramel colored with minimal head.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
igneous1 (1524) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - FEB 23, 2002
i know this is going to sound gross, but this beer was so bitter it smelled of perspiration...but not in a bad way, whatever that means

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
LuckeyHaskins99 (180) - Toledo, Ohio, USA - FEB 18, 2002
A bit bitter, but could’ve been cleaner complected in the flavor department. A bit tinny, but not an awfull ale. Maybe I have been expecting a bit more from this micro, but still came away disappointed. I like bitters, but this one was not to my tastes.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
MilkmanDan (1943) - Eagan, Minnesota, USA - JAN 28, 2002
Good bitters, with enough malt balance to keep it interesting. Nice floral aroma.