Avery Anniversary Eleven

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 277   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
We’re hopheads. We LOVE hops. Just can’t seem to get enough of them. To satisfy our lupulin desires and to commemorate our anniversary, we’ve created ELEVEN. Describing this double IPA as "aggressively hopped" is an understatement. Words cannot describe what your olfactory senses are about to enjoy. Yes, it’s hoppy. Shockingly hoppy. 90 IBUs.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Rciesla (5499) - Exit 15W, New Jersey, USA - MAY 20, 2008
Bottle. Pours amber orange with a small off white head. Aroma is citrus, grapefruit, and harsh hoppiness. Flavor is overpowered hoppiness with little malt coming through. Feels like metalic copper twine as you bite back on liquid hop flower. Ou this is hoppy yet somehow redeeming and enjoyable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
dolemite77 (184) - Maryville, Tennessee, USA - APR 25, 2008
Pours a hazy orange, with a thin head that dissipates. Fairly sweet beer, which explains the minimal head, but maximum lacing. Aroma is sweet, but not extremely hoppy. More fruity. Flavor is good, there is a strong hop bite to it, with a lot of different hop flavors. A little too sweet for me, but these double IPAs can sometimes be that way. Liked it a LOT more than the 120 minute Dogfishhead I had last night.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Sephiroth (66) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - FEB 17, 2008
Reviewed on 6-20-05. The first time that I tried this beer, I found it to be a total cacophony of hops. I won this more recent sample in a raffle from Courtney at the Hop Shop in Indy. Many thanks! This beer totally overwhelms my Duvel tulip with foam despite a gentle pour from the bomber. It is colored with amber and orange and leaves a sticky lace from the top of the glass to the level of the beer. A quarter inch foam remains. The smell is of sharp, spicy hops. I am once again dissapointed by this beer. I think that although this was a mess when young, it has mellowed far too much for the style. The hops taste spicy and dry. I detect very faint citrus flavors, and none of the juiceiness I have come to expect from this style. The malt is just noticeable. The finish is quite clean for a double IPA, which is actually refreshing. I am putting this down rather quickly, and I know how to guzzle a double IPA. I wish I had procured this about six months ago.

BlackDonald (1126) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JAN 31, 2008
This was a slap in the face with hops, and takes a chunk out of your palate. An amazing array of hops from earth to spicy, to citrus, this beer runs the gamut of fresh hop flavor. A very big malt background balances out all the sharp flavors of the hops with some caramel sweetness. Nicely done!

WolfsBlood84 (172) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - OCT 3, 2007
22 oz Bottle - I’m not sure when they stopped making this - but I think I have bought the last bottle in Indianapolis! It was a little pricey, but it was definitely worth it. I have never been disappointed with Avery in any way, shape, or form and this time was no exception. Poured a hazy golden with off white head. Aroma is hops, citrus, foral, earthy tones, spice, etc... Taste is killer hops, really fresh, kinda grapefruit/citrusy sweet - great balance of bitter and sweet. Drank a Stone Ruination in the same night, made the Ruination taste bland, boring, and just a little bitter by comparison (and I LIKE Ruination!). Absolutely, positively look out for this one in a dark corner of the liquor store shelve.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
yobdoog (1888) - Woodridge NY, New York, USA - SEP 28, 2007
I really enjoyed this at Jimacks. Cornboy had it stored. Aroma very hoppy and earthy. Some pine and wood with fresh hops as well. Taste is also very hoppy and delicous. Well balnced hops with some more hops. Different hops, sweet hops, citrus hops, hoppy hops. Rich body balanced this one out nicely.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
sneagrams3 (2337) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - SEP 22, 2007
Tasted 9/16/2007. 22oz bomber. Heavily sedimented with a murky brown bronze hue. Moldy off white head. Strong nose. Sugary. Citrus undertones. Touch of maple in the malt profile. Full bodied with an ultra smooth palate. "Festive August candy caramel" was the responce from the buddy I split this with. Warming with a minimal hop profile. Caramel and slightly woody. Earthy. Medium malt roast, but big. Obviously different than when fresh, but tasty none the less.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
RSRIZZO (1855) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - SEP 16, 2007
Had on 5/13/2004. Aroma is like smelling a bag of fresh hops. Color is a pale orange gold. Carbonation seems light with a thin head. Taste is very citrusy and almost fruity. Starting with a medium body it goes down with a bright fresh feel. Finish comes on with a citrusy flavor that reminds me of grapefruit, then a mild hop spiciness and a mild crisp bitterness. OK this is a hoppy beer, but they may have gone a bit over board on the fresh dry hopping, the grapefruit like flavor is almost too much and over powers all the rest. Now I like a hoppy beer and I do like this beer, but I think it may be a bit much.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
beastiefan2k (2478) - Emerald City (formely NYC & KS), Washington, USA - SEP 16, 2007
Jimmack Invitational’07, shared by Cornboy (thanks John). He says its been in a fridge since it as purchased, very cool. Aroma is a very green hops, sticky and resiny. Think almost like green herb like hops. Flavor is not old and very lively still, oily shops and sweet biscuit maltiness. Long leafy hops aftertaste. Very enjoyable and surprising.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
kp (10886) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - SEP 1, 2007
Date: 01/02/2005
Mode: Bottle
Source: Tasting

fresh grapefruit hop aroma, rich sweet malt flavor balanced by lots of good hop flavor and low bitterness, well balanced
-------- /> Date: 08/04/2005

ditto

Aroma: 9/10; Appearance: 5/10; Flavor: 7/10; Palate: 5/10; Overall: 16/20
Rating: 3.8/5.0
Score: **4
-------- /> The score was calculated based upon the notes and an old scoring system.