Avery Anniversary Eleven

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 277   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
We’re hopheads. We LOVE hops. Just can’t seem to get enough of them. To satisfy our lupulin desires and to commemorate our anniversary, we’ve created ELEVEN. Describing this double IPA as "aggressively hopped" is an understatement. Words cannot describe what your olfactory senses are about to enjoy. Yes, it’s hoppy. Shockingly hoppy. 90 IBUs.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - APR 23, 2004
Man - I don't know what this is supposed to run in $, but I suspect I just got a good deal - two bombers, tax and deposit included, for 8 bucks. I like the aroma; super piney, very fresh with a sweet watermelon bit. The flavor seems all pine and that strange fruitiness also found in Ruination, slightly malty but it is mighty hard to get at! Would score a bit lower (this variety of hop is easily overdone even if done well), but there is an unusual pepperiness I've never felt in an IIPA - I like that aspect. Good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 21, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 11, 2004 This double IPA pours with an orange-amber body topped by a medium thick off-white head with lots of lacing. The aroma is slightly sweet with some maltiness, a good amount of piney hoppiness and a little grapefruit. The flavor is sweet and malty with some piney notes and a slight touch of grapefruit. I was expecting a lot more bitterness from this brew but it wasn’t there. Full bodied and smooth.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DarkElf (3035) - La Jolla, California, USA - APR 21, 2004
(Draft: O'Brien's in San Diego, CA) Big time hops and very piney in the nose, and it's just an awesome treat for the nasal passages; The flavor is loaded with hops and is probably the most piney beer I've ever tried; Moderately bitter, but less than expected considering how much hops is in the nose; Overall, for a double IPA, there's just not that much malt, so this is definitely a hops dominated beer by default, and is less powerful for the style; The palate is crisp from the hops, but also a little sticky; Dark amber in color; Off-white head is fairly creamy, and though it lasts awhile, it eventually fades to a sheen;

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
snowtiger (106) - Brighton, Colorado, USA - APR 13, 2004
Had it at The Falling Rock on tap. Clear dark golden color with big white head. Aroma is all Columbus hops. More hop flavor and aroma than bitterness, with balance to the sweet side. Very good big beer, but a little too sweet. For my money, I prefer the Great Divide Imp IPA to this one.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
tijean77 (2) - USA - APR 13, 2004 does not count
does it get much better? this is death by hops, and i am in my grave. thank you adam; i will spread the word as much as possible.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Aubrey (3443) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - APR 10, 2004
Bottle, literally bought right off of the bottling line ... couldn't have gotten any fresher. Beautiful rusty-orange clarity with a frothy, lasting head and intricate, fingery lace. Love at first whiff? I think so. Mouthfeel was smooth, soft and thickish, with an assertive presence that lets you know it's there. Wonderful blend of hops provides equal amounts of flavor, bitterness and aroma. Dry-hopped hops really fill the olfactory senses and contribute to the beer's complexity. Notes of sappy pine, sweet orange, grapefruit, tart tangerine, chewy dried apricot, and fresh-cut grass. Nice malt backbone (sweet cookie dough and some toast), with a 9 percent spinal cord. Alcohol was masked by the big hops, and it seemed to meld well ... though it is definitely noticeable (not necessarily a bad thing). Finish and aftertaste were really nice, with lingering malt and hop flavors. Hops built up in the back of the throat and continued to complement the lingering bitterness, well after swallowing. Overall: a hophead dream come true.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
Ernest (6272) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - APR 7, 2004
Head is initially average sized, frothy, off-white, mostly lasting. Body is medium amber. Aroma is heavily hoppy (apricot, resin/pine, grapefruit), moderately malty (cookie). Flavor is heavily sweet, lightly acidic, moderately bitter. Finish is moderately sweet, moderately acidic, heavily bitter. Full body, creamy texture, lively carbonation, lightly alcoholic. Oh, it's a double, all right. It's been a while since I've had one with this creamy/thick of a mouthfeel, and the flavor profile is quite nice for something so blatantly hop-heavy and American (usually they scrape my mouth out with high-alpha sandpaper, but this one is a bit more elegant [if that's possible in a style like this]). I don't care for the hop varieties; the aroma doesn't attract me, but that's a personal thing...American hop lovers will undoubtedly go nuts, as this is dry-hopped to hell and back with four different varieties. The malt shines through well enough in the nose, but other than that it's all hops (and like a wine that's virtually all fruit in the nose, that's just not enough for me). Sorry, Adam, this isn't going to convert me to the dark side, but there's no denying this recipe is a success.