Avery Anniversary Eleven

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 277   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
We’re hopheads. We LOVE hops. Just can’t seem to get enough of them. To satisfy our lupulin desires and to commemorate our anniversary, we’ve created ELEVEN. Describing this double IPA as "aggressively hopped" is an understatement. Words cannot describe what your olfactory senses are about to enjoy. Yes, it’s hoppy. Shockingly hoppy. 90 IBUs.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
tijean77 (2) - USA - APR 13, 2004 does not count
does it get much better? this is death by hops, and i am in my grave. thank you adam; i will spread the word as much as possible.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 21, 2004
This was just amazing. The aroma was straight hops and the taste was just that . An amazing beer that is well deserved of the high rating. Definitely something I recommend and something I will go back to.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Cornboy (424) - Eastampton, New Jersey, USA - JUL 29, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 29, 2004 Definite hops explosion. Opening the bottle I smell hops, pouring I smell hops, tasting its like resiny hops with a nice malty finish. I expected it to have a bitter finish, but the malt balance was a nice surprise. Much heavier in body than most ipa’s, a bit chewy. Tastes like you put a hop pellet in your mouth with some light malt.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Cobra (1100) - Banned City, - AUG 4, 2004
22 oz. brown bomber bottle. No freshness date seen. Gold foil covered top. Vibrantly colored bottle label. Poured out a deep caramel color, with a sticky, resinous white head at first. It slid back to a sticky matting of lace on top of the beer itself. Clear, amber colored body. Excellent clarity. The aromas are of earthy, piney, resinous, grapefruity hops. Glorious hops. And more hops. The malts barely come thru in the aromas. The tastes are of resinous hops, rich, earthy, grapefruity hops. Some citrus notes, as well as definite notes of biscuit malts. Tangerines make a brief appearance. Coats the tongue with sweet caramel flavors, until the hops take over once again. The battle never ceases, and it’s a wonderful war, for a change. Finishes sweet, with a hellacious alcohol kick. Enough alcohol to punch thru the blanket of hops coating your tongue. A kick ass double IPA from the great brewers at Avery. Good show, guys!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Quetzalcoatl (153) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - JUL 9, 2004
22oz Bottle. Great golden color, with a thin white head, which leaves a nice lace. The smell of this beer has my mouth watering…fantastic. Lotsa hop; strong aroma of grapefruits. The taste is just as good, and just as hopped, however not excessively bitter. Plenty of malty richness to back up the bite of the hops. This is a great dub IPA.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
DocLock (7682) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 28, 2004
#999!. Pours turbid coppery with a medium, creamy white head and great lacing. Aroma of malt, hops, fruit. Tastes malty, with big hops, fruitiness, florals, spice, and chardonnay. The palate is medium, somewhat firm and dense. The finish is extremely hoppy, with resin. Perhaps not quite as well balanced as some I2PAs I’ve had, and a tiny bit harsh at the finish.....but to a hophead like me, this is Nirvana. There aren’t many bottles of this left. I got the last one at State Line in Elkton, MD. If you like IPAs and I2PAs, it’s time to get a trade out for this one. An exceptional beer!! Avery has knocked my socks off again!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Bockyhorsey (2609) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - OCT 15, 2005
Wife spoted this beer in a liquer store while on vacation in Wisconsin last week. Aroma was of the citrus hop IPA. Body was a perfect copper color with an off white frothy creamy head that stayed with the beer till finish. Great laceing also. The grapefruit citrus flavor was awesome. Reminded me of when I had my first Dogfish ipa that that was the best. Well this is better by far. Some alcohol present but not that jawlock like some high octane beers. Good dry citrus aftertaste on palate. Man my wife is a beer god.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
HopsOrDie (687) - New Lenox, Illinois, USA - JUN 18, 2004
Dark orange color with a small white head. Aroma is strong in pineapple and grapefuit. Flavor is thick and powerful with bitterness with a sweet pineapple and pine taste. Sweetness in the front, bitterness in the aftertaste. Typical IIPA, but I love this style. You can really taste the pine after a couple of burps.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
SoylentBlack (123) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - JUN 30, 2004
Big taste. Not too much of the bitterness associated with very hoppy beers, probably because it’s also very fruity, but without being too sweet. I really like it. An interesting take on pale ale.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
millerclmb (44) - Boulder, Missouri, USA - JUL 3, 2004
Nice golden color with a thin head. Incredibly potent hoppy aroma but not on the bitter side...smells like the zest of a grapefruit with melted buttery brown sugar cascading around it. The taste is at first fruity, then a little astringent, but balances as it swishes into a malty mellowness. Super soothing...does not bite like I expected. Second only to the Hercules for this imperial IPA.