RATINGS: 1082   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 267   ABV: 8.91%
Salvation. The name of two intricate Belgian-style ales created by us, Vinnie Cilurzo of Russian River Brewing and Adam Avery of Avery Brewing. After becoming friends a few years ago, we realized that we both had a Salvation in our line-ups. Was it going to be a problem? Should one of us relinquish the rights? "Hell no!" we said. In fact, it was quickly decided that we should blend the brews to catch the best qualities of each and create an even more complex libation. In April 2004, in top-secret meeting at Russian River Brewing (well actually it was packed in the pub, and many were looking over our shoulders wondering what the hell was going on), we came up with the perfect blend of the two Salvations. Natalie, Vinnieís much more significant other, exclaimed, "We should call this Collaboration, not Litigation Ale!" "Perfect!" we shouted. We celebrated deep into the night, (or is it morning?). Fast forward to November 14, 2006. After talking about it for over 2 years we finally decided to pull the trigger and Vinnie flew out to Avery to brew his Salvation exactly as he does in his brewery. This was blended with Averyís Salvation December 11th, 2006. We hope you enjoy it as much we enjoyed brewing and blending it.

Batch 1 (January 2007) - 8.99% ABV
Batch 2 (February 2008) - 8.72% ABV
Batch 3 (February 2009) - 8.97% ABV
Batch 4 (February 2010) - 8.91% ABV
Batch 5 (January 2011) - 8.91% ABV

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
notalush (5514) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAR 5, 2007
This is the first avery release that Iíve been excited about in a long while - medium amber, copperish pour, with sticky white lace - very spicy aroma, with some black pepper, apples, moderate belgian yeast qualities - the avery beer seems to dominate the flavor, and that avery big beer burn is very prominent - some light over ripe fruits and delicate earthiness of the russian river try to some to the fore, but the brashness of the avery brew often overpowers them - some sweet cherry and candi sugar comes out in the finish - not a terrible blend, but itís just too "avery."

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
SDalkoholic (2274) - Linda Vista, California, USA - MAR 5, 2007
Since i never had Rusian Rivers Salvation and have only had Averyís i feel this is unfair to taste the two combined. To bad rusian river couldnt step up there distribution. Anyway, I found little olfaction, but what i did find were Belgian yeast and minor dashes of spice. The drink itself is lively carbonated and is a lovely mouthfeel both heavy and sticky. Texture and body is just amazing, especially when i took sips when the foam formed a stubborn layer of head. Flavor is a sweet caramel malt with background of Belgian spicey yeast used. The ales apperance is a beauty light brown tint and extra foamy head that lays around for time. Iím very impressed with how well this ale comes across. Thanx to both brewers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
thornecb (5020) - Marblehead, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 5, 2007
Pours a deep mahoganyr into a Trappist glass. Medium head quickly subsides to skim surface. Caramel and bubblegum aromas. Spiky to sticky with a lasting malt finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
tjthresh (1867) - Greenfield, Indiana, USA - MAR 4, 2007
I got 2 bottles of this this week. One from BeerandBlues2 and one frombgburdman9. I poured it into my Duvel glass. Clear cherry with a huge sticky light tan head. Tart and spicey aroma. Sweetish. Light tartness in the flavor. Finished dry. Overall, just give me Vinnieís version and all will be good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
barleyPops (1142) - Quad-Cities, Illinois, USA - MAR 4, 2007
tap served in a tulip glass at Radio Maria. pours a mahogany brown with a rich creamy head. aroma is yeasty with a hint of bubblegum. flavor was a nice mix of sweet malt, molasses, yeast and some spice. rather sweet, was glad to try it in a 8 - 10 oz. glass as opposed to opening and drinking the whole bottle myself.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
fly (1441) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - MAR 4, 2007
Found it quite difficult for me to follow the letigious comments of one "former Texan, as if there could ever be such - though thatís yet another matter for the courts). I put forth that, as has been said previously by other sinister forces that this is indeed a case exemplifying "better than the sum of its two parts". I do have a favored partner in this match, but also honor each in near parallel respect. Seeing Adam and Vinnie engaged in what looked like deep and/or fun conversation on the patio of Falling Rock last year makes this shine even more brightly for me. A good frieend of mine , having brewed and gotten along so well with other brewers brought this to light for me - that brewers can admire the work of another rather than resent , despise or whatever. Deliberate on your own terms ....

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Nuffield (3912) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - MAR 3, 2007
I teach a college course titled, "Law, Lawyers and Litigation". Amid popular concern with litigation in America, a counter-movement sprung up in the past generation, arguing for increased use of alternatives to litigation. One of the critics of this movement, Owen Fiss, wrote an influential article titled, "Against Settlement," in which he defended the virtues of litigation. One problem is that collaborative approaches prioritize "peace" (the end of disagreement) over justice (making the most deserving party win). As it happens, the parties here have produced peace, but at the expense of justice? I donít know. It tastes more or less like a blend. Hops, orange, winter spices, bread/yeast in a body that is moderately frothy and reasonably well supported. It has a long finish of...everything, lots of things...I donít know. Avery has produced some exciting beers in the past few years, though Salvation isnít one of my favorites. Russian River is exciting (and hard for me to get), with especially interesting things in the use of yeast. But together? They might have been no worse off just litigating this one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
rajendra82 (999) - Alpharetta, Georgia, USA - MAR 3, 2007
This blend of two Belgian style beers with the same name came in a 22 oz. bomber with a silver neck foil. When poured, the reddish brown body looked closer to the Russian River Salvation part of the mix than the paler Avery Salvation. The overall appearance was similar to a Dubbel, with the exception of the clarity of the beer. Nice fizzy head, and thick lacing made this look quite good. The smell was that of sour cherry, banana, clove, and mandarin orange. The taste was dry, earthy, and spicy, making this quite a departure from the typical Avery Belgians, which I usually find to be floral, and a little sweet. This was quite a yeasty beer, with dusty tongue tingling phenols. The mouthfeel was little thinner than I would have liked. A little thicker, and it would have reached the lofty silkiness of Aventinus, which it kept reminding me of. Vinnie and Adam should think about having more collaborations in the future (despite the beer names being different). Pliny the Elder Maharaja would be hard to pass up.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
edden (925) - cow- lumbus, Ohio, USA - MAR 3, 2007
3/3/07: Bottle.
Nose of caramel and yeast. Deep garnet body with a rocky, tan head. Some lace. Complex body which includes flavors of raisin, caramel malt, candi sugar, yeast, alcohol, bread and hops. Malty finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
hophead75 (2012) - Largo, Florida, USA - MAR 3, 2007
Hazy dark amber with a medium off white head. Aroma is sweet malts, candi sugar, light notes of spice, lightly bready. Taste is moderately sweet with caramel, spices, candi sugar, lightly bready yeast..finish is lightly sweet and spicy. Body is medium, and so is the carbonation.