overall

RATINGS: 1178   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.45/5   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
This beautiful, deep russet brew has the sweet and somewhat nutty character of Adam Avery's late (1992-2002) Chocolate Lab, for which it is named. Crystal and chocolate malts give this beer a brown sugar maltiness with hints of vanilla and nuts, while subtle hopping gives it an overall drinkability that's second to none, just like Ellie!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
beer_rookie (305) - USA - OCT 20, 2015
Pre-pour thoughts. So, brown ales are not among my favorite styles. I saw this bottle, and I loved the label. I totally love the fact that "Ellie" was honored with her own beer. I also chuckled at the thought that this was "Lab Tested." Is that in a lab? Or by a lab? Either way, Iíd like to know the results of that test. I know, I know...still makes me chuckle.

Pours a dark cola brown. I can almost see through it, About one finger beige head. Quite nice lacing on the glass.

Aroma is some vanilla, not real strong. I smell brown sugar, or perhaps more so the molasses. Itís malty, and slightly chocolatey.

Taste is quite malty. Thereís also a good bit of nuts of some type. Thereís some chocolate, but not a lot. At the end, I taste the molasses. The molasses leaves a slight bitterness on the tongue.

Mouthfeel is medium, yet heavy. Itís easy drinking. Itís sweet, itís bitter, then sweet, then bitter. Itís a tongue twister.

Overall, itís pretty good. Itís a decent brown, maybe even a good brown. I think I could have this again. I would take this over Newcastle. However, I would have trouble deciding between this or a new one. Hey, if nothing else, try it and think about your own "Ellie" while you drink it.

Hey, I wonder how beer labels with cats would work?

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
CLeclercq1961 (118) - Temecula, California, USA - OCT 18, 2015
Pretty good brown. Mild to medium malt aroma. Poured brown a tad hazy. Big poofy tan head. Flavor of macadamia and walnut. Decent brown.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
melush (2245) - SPAIN - OCT 9, 2015
Can 35,5cl / Lata 35,5cl. @ Beer Culture, New York, NY, USA A: Brown / Marron. T/S: Roasted malt, sweet, chocolate / Malta tostada, dulce, chocolate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
ElManana (1576) - Scheldewindeke, BELGIUM - OCT 8, 2015
Can at tderoeck's place. Banana, very wattery, light sour, wheat, hmm, nope. I liked the Granola Brown Ale we had at the same tastinr a bit better.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
GenDV138 (5083) - Falls Church, Virginia, USA - OCT 7, 2015
4 oz pour on draft at ChurchKey during the 22 years of Avery event. Dark brown with light tan head. Aromas of roast, light floral notes. Tastes of roasty notes, caramel, light chocolate, toffee. Light body with a dry finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
rejtable (2078) - Ontario, CANADA - SEP 13, 2015
Tap at pi DC. Pours brown limited head lots of lacing. Nose is fruity and sweet. Flavours are plum, caramel, earthy bitterness. Taste med/light bitter med/light sweet. Full body lively carbonation. Nice!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Dorkenstein (321) - - JUL 10, 2015
Malt aroma, light dark fruits. Taste is malted chocolate, faint toffee. A cola and vanilla finish comes through.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
weihenweizen (2838) - Charleston Area, West Virginia, USA - JUL 9, 2015
12 oz. brown bottle poured into a glass. Clear medium brown with small light brown ale. Aroma is nutty, medium body, medium/light carbonation, and little lacing. Taste is nutty and some chocolate.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
biirusaikou (2201) - - JUL 7, 2015
Draught at Faucets. Roasted malt, cocoa, nuts, floral notes, dry finish. Decent stuff without being any outstanding.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
EvanFriend (463) - Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 30, 2015
Aroma is molasses and a hint of wood smoke. Taste is mainly molasses, a little hint of nuts, and something else I canít quite place. This would be great in the fall, but itís pretty damn good right now too.