overall

RATINGS: 1485   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 276   ABV: 9.2%
This dangerously drinkable garnet beauty is a hop lover’s delight. The intense dry-hop nose and the alcohol content are perfectly balanced for a caramel candy-like malt finish. This is a serious beer for serious beer afficionados and it only gets better with age. Cellarable for 3 years.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
wunderbier (1434) - Tampere, FINLAND - MAR 9, 2004
22 oz bottle, snifter. Caramel, candi sugar malt (M); pine, grapefruit hops (M); peaches. Deep amber body with a tan, creamy head that is well lasting a leaves great lacing behind. Heavily sweet, moderately bitter flavor becomes a heavily bitter, lightly sweet, moderately astringent finish. Sweet tea-ish. Medium-heavy body, creamy texture, lively carbonation. The bottom line is: the astringency bothers me, and it's a bit hoppy for the malt presence (for me) but tasty overall.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Brodie (540) - Blowing Rock, North Carolina, USA - MAR 6, 2004
Big spicy and citrusy grapefruit rind hops and sweet malt in the aroma. Amber color, head leaves good lacing. Big hop flavor - fruit, citrus and pine - just enough malt to keep from being totally out of balance. Huge bitterness - this was number 7 of 14 at a barleywine tasting, and I'm upset because I'm not sure my palate will be able to recover. Full-bodied, moderately astringent. Overall, and hugely bitter and hoppy barleywine, not something I could drink a lot of, treads the line of being out of balance.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - MAR 2, 2004
22oz Bomber No freshness date I love the label on this bottle. Flying pigs, love it. Poured a deep and clear amber with a thick and generous head that retains well and provides some serious lacing. Nice big hop aroma which seems to be the trend in BW's lately. If this continues, I may designate this as my favorite style. It seems to be coming in very close to the super hopped Imperial IPA's. On second pour the bready malt aroma rears itself. It's warming now and coming alive with great aromas. The body on this is quite full and smooth. The bittering hops are noticable in the finish which is also just a tad dry. There's a sweet caramel malt flavor also that is blending superbly with the hop onslaught. The carbonation is even. Not too sharp or flat. Overall I found this an exceptional brew. One I would buy often if only it were available locally.

howie (549) - DeForest, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 27, 2004
Lightish amber with a respectable coppery head. Pungent, intense, unique hop aroma. Flavors like hop candy. Lots of caramel sweetness. Fairly high carbonation scrubs the palate of the malty sweetness, though, and allows the hops to dominate. Interestingly, this impressed me more as a good "Imperial IPA" while Avery's "Ten" struck me as more barleywine-ish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Shag (2603) - Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA - FEB 23, 2004
The aroma is very very nice. Some oak, citrus, cherries, grapes, vanilla. The appearance is a reddish brown with almost no head. Now to the flavor. A mix of bitter, sour, and sweet all perfectly blended together. Some caramel, raspberries, citrus fruit are primarly what I am tasting. The finish is hoppy with a taste of alcohol. This one is not as sweet and cloying as other barleywines Ive tasted. This biased may come from my hophead nature of course. But overall I must say I really enjoyed this one. Thanks to cb and tar for hooking me up!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BigBastard (668) - L.A., California, USA - FEB 20, 2004
The hops really helped balance this out. The bitterness helped to even out the sweet, fruity flavors. pretty good overall.

Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 18, 2004
This is last years bottling as I like to let the Barleys rest for a while after an initial tasting. Big floral brandied nose. Ruby orange tinge. Small off white head. Big, chewy sweet caramel malts, hints of maple syrup, cherry, vanilla, woody undertones, medium bodied, hops and caramel and more grapefruit bitter hops in the finish. After a year the hops definately mellowed out a bit, and this is pretty well balanced, but theres something thats missing...and I cant put my finger on it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - FEB 17, 2004
Copper body with weak tan head. Grapefruit to the nose and to the taste. This is a good barley wine. Very refreshing and drinkable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
MAP (1133) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - FEB 17, 2004
Deep cloudy amber color to it with little head on top. Aroma is strongly leafy with barlet. Flavor is a tad bit on the sweet side for me. I generally prefer a barley wine to be more warming and robust. This does infact have too much of a sugary not to it, seemingly to balance the barley, which I'm not a huge fan of.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - FEB 8, 2004
Pours a rich amber coloring with a big puffy head and some really nice lacing. The hops are very noticeable in the flavor but not predominant, nice malty companions to balance out the sweet hops. Lots of candi sugar in the flavor, with some fruits and other sweet flavors. Extremely well balanced.